Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-13-2013, 07:28 AM   #197
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
Why is it that everyone who claims how a boosted I-4 is so awesome acts like an I-4 is the only engine that gets better with boost?
Of course you can boost engines of any cylinder count or arrangement. That's not the point here.

It's about ways to achieve a satisfactory amount of power and torque for the entry-level end of the Camaro line. Traditionally, this has been done with NA sixxes, but that's not the only way those power and torque targets can reasonably be achieved.

On other engine configurations and boost.

We already have a boosted V8, and there is no V10, V12, or whatever above that for the LSA to be competing against. Nothing more to discuss here.

Given the resistance to turbo-4's solely on the basis of cylinder count, this thread probably shouldn't get hijacked down any forced induction V6 detour . . . the resulting uproar once people figured out what would then be at stake would make the opposition to fours of any description sound like crickets chirping in the night.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:38 AM   #198
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
If we were not de-industrializing the country with these crackpot ponzi energy schemes, Ford and GM would not be looking elsewhere for business.
It's only fair to point out that there are a lot of people in China, and GM saw this as an opportunity to get into a market before a culture of buying cars became mainstream. As a result, GM has expanded into an untapped business market. It has nothing to do with Camaros. It has to do with expanding the sales end of a big business.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:07 AM   #199
trademaster

Drives: 12 MP4-12C, 16 Quattroporte
Quote:
If we were not de-industrializing the country with these crackpot ponzi energy schemes, Ford and GM would not be looking elsewhere for business.
It would be incredibly stupid for GM and Ford to ignore the fastest growing economies and populations on the planet, especially considering they are publicly traded companies with a responsibility to shareholders to pursue expansion opportunities.
trademaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:18 AM   #200
revychevy

Drives: 2010 2SS RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Of course you can boost engines of any cylinder count or arrangement. That's not the point here.

It's about ways to achieve a satisfactory amount of power and torque for the entry-level end of the Camaro line. Traditionally, this has been done with NA sixxes, but that's not the only way those power and torque targets can reasonably be achieved.

On other engine configurations and boost.

We already have a boosted V8, and there is no V10, V12, or whatever above that for the LSA to be competing against. Nothing more to discuss here.

Given the resistance to turbo-4's solely on the basis of cylinder count, this thread probably shouldn't get hijacked down any forced induction V6 detour . . . the resulting uproar once people figured out what would then be at stake would make the opposition to fours of any description sound like crickets chirping in the night.

Norm
So are you referencing the idea to get rid of V8s in favor of twin turbo V6s?
Old 02-13-2013, 08:41 AM   #201
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by revychevy View Post
So are you referencing the idea to get rid of V8s in favor of twin turbo V6s?
Scary thought, isn't it?

I really don't want to see all of the essence of the "musclecar" end of the ponycar lineups bred out of them. They're too refined as it is.

The entry level is already "compromised" by definition.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:51 AM   #202
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Scary thought, isn't it?

I really don't want to see all of the essence of the "musclecar" end of the ponycar lineups bred out of them. They're too refined as it is.

The entry level is already "compromised" by definition.

Norm
As long as their is sufficient demand for the V8 I don't see it going away. Displacement may go down though. I do think we may see both a FI V6 and a V8 in the lineup at some point. If the FI V6 proves to be popular to the performance-oriented buyers, then it may put the V8 in jeapordy, but more from a price point than existence standpoint. I can't see even that happening anytime soon. The LT1 will be around for a while, and GM didn't take the time and money to develop that with plans for it to be obsolete in a few years.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:26 AM   #203
Lou_Dorchen

Drives: Jeep
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
As long as their is sufficient demand for the V8 I don't see it going away.
If something is banned (or regulated out of existance) by the Government, it's gone. Regardless of consumer demand.

People buy Big Gulps and Happy Meals by the millions, but that didn't stop places in the US from banning them. Courts have ruled cities can ban foods, plastic bags, and sugar drinks. They've also said that the EPA can regulate Greenhouse Gasses. If the EPA decides that certain engines must be banned, they are gone.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:31 AM   #204
Lou_Dorchen

Quote:
I can't see even that happening anytime soon.
If I told people 20 years ago cities in America would ban smoking on private property, Big Gulps, and Happy Meals I'd have been labelled a crackpot. Certain people just like telling other people how to live their lives. What they will go after next, no one can say. But they openly admit they dont like gas-guzzling internal combustion engines....
Old 02-13-2013, 09:34 AM   #205
GretchenGotGrowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_Dorchen View Post
If something is banned (or regulated out of existance) by the Government, it's gone. Regardless of consumer demand.

People buy Big Gulps and Happy Meals by the millions, but that didn't stop places in the US from banning them. Courts have ruled cities can ban foods, plastic bags, and sugar drinks. They've also said that the EPA can regulate Greenhouse Gasses. If the EPA decides that certain engines must be banned, they are gone.
Not sure you read the whole post. Why would they ban an engine just based on the number of cylinders? They may ban engines above a certain displacement (although I doubt they are even looking at it that way), but if a 4.9 L V8 is just as efficient as a 4.3 L V6 then why would the government car how many cylinders it has? As for local laws, if you don't like them you can move. It would take a lot of local governments banning V8s to influence GMs decision to get rid of the V8. Dealerships can sale V6s and I4s in those hypotetical local markets while the rest of us can buy what we want.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:49 AM   #206
revychevy

Drives: 2010 2SS RS LS3
Hey man, how's Gretchen? That's one baaad V6!
Old 02-13-2013, 09:51 AM   #207
Lou_Dorchen

Quote:
Not sure you read the whole post. Why would they ban an engine just based on the number of cylinders?

As for local laws, if you don't like them you can move. It would take a lot of local governments banning V8s to influence GMs decision to get rid of the V8. Dealerships can sale V6s and I4s in those hypotetical local markets while the rest of us can buy what we want.
I have a news flash for you, Government regulations often make no sense. They are written by career politicians (who were usually lawyers before politics) who have ZERO experience in the industries they write the regulations for.

I wasn't saying cities could ban certain engines, I said the EPA could. The EPA is part of the Federal Government. FYI, when something is banned on the Federal level, you cant just move to another city/State so you can buy it again.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:19 AM   #208

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
We can—actually, I'm sure we will—bicker about this for weeks. Please remember that offering a high-performance version of a 4-cylinder engine with forced induction does not require you to purchase it. This would be an option granted to those who want the unique styling of a Camaro above all else.

Start thinking outside of the Camaro-Mustang-Challenger rivalry. GM is winning this rivalry now, but GM doesn't have a product to compete with some of our low-displacement import competition. An Alpha Camaro will weigh less and therefore be a perfect fit for that market with the right pricing and engine options. Camaros will still be available in the traditional V6 and V8 arrangements for the long haul in order to compete with our traditional domestic rivals and to bring enthusiasts what we expect of our favorite car. Of course, not everyone is an enthusiast. Some of these people are just customers wanting something different, and I know a lot of people that want a cool car but don't care how much power it has. A version with a 4-cylinder turbo makes sense for them.

I did notice that a lot of arguments against any 4-cylinder turbo are coming from the V8 crowd. You guys are the heart and soul of high-performance GM drivers, but you are not the market for any 4-banger. Keep that in mind. If you want a 6thgen, then you'll be able to buy one with a V8, as usual. Think of the 4-cylinder model as a stepping stone to convert some ricer kids into real American performance machines. It starts with hot styling, and then they join Camaro5, and ultimately they're so enamored with how awesome Camaro enthusiasts are that they want to show up to a future Camaro5Fest with the V8 they've dreamed of owning since getting their 4-cylinder turbo. It's just something to consider.
Thanks for the above post....and the chance to "pour some more gas" onto the fire, so to speak...lol..

Some of the things you mention, even though on the surface may sound benign, speak to the reasons an I-4 should not be in the Camaro line-up...

This I-4 will, as you state, changes the image of the Mustang-Challenger rivalry...The very reason the Gen5 was built , and the image it was marketed as, will morph into a rivalry with low-cost, low-powered imports with a Gen6 I-4...Enticing the "ricer-crowd" to purchase I-4 Camaros will no doubt happen, and believe me they will get "riced-out", is the exact opposite of why many of us purchased a Camaro in the first place...The Camaro should never be a model for "ricing-out"...and when they inevitalbly are, v-8 and v-6 owners will be shaking their heads and thinking wtf...This is the "same" car I have?

They cannot and should not be both..."ricer" and "muscle"....The image of the car will be an embarrassment and deal-breaker for many, if not all, loyal Camaro customers....Those who want a car with the image of the Mustang-Challenger rivalry will not be able to ignore it's new "ricer" image when considering the Gen6...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:13 AM   #209
GretchenGotGrowl

Doing well. Have a few tuning issues to work out for the launch and I may have a good shot at a 10s run.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
Old 02-13-2013, 11:16 AM   #210
GretchenGotGrowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_Dorchen View Post
I have a news flash for you, Government regulations often make no sense. They are written by career politicians (who were usually lawyers before politics) who have ZERO experience in the industries they write the regulations for.

I wasn't saying cities could ban certain engines, I said the EPA could. The EPA is part of the Federal Government. FYI, when something is banned on the Federal level, you cant just move to another city/State so you can buy it again.
Very familiar with how the gov. works. All your examples of silly bans were local governments. Again, why would EPA ban an engine based on the number of cylinders? What evidence is there that they look at that at all?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Tags
2015 camaro, 2015 camaro forum, 2015 camaro forums, 2015 chevrolet camaro, 2015 chevy camaro, 2016 camaro, 2016 camaro forum, 2016 camaro forums, 2016 chevrolet camaro, 2016 chevy camaro, 2017 camaro, 2017 chevy camaro, 6 gen camaro, 6th gen camaro, 6th gen camaro forum, 6th gen camaro forums, 6th gen camaro info, 6th gen camaro news, 6th gen camaro rumors, 6th gen chevrolet camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro forum, 6th generation camaro, 6th generation camaro info, 6th generation camaro news, 6th generation camaro rumors, 6th generation chevy camaro, camaro 6th gen, camaro 6th generation