Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

View Poll Results: What is your opinion of the Mustang?
Hate it. Plain and simple. 11 7.19%
Improvement... but not my cup of Tea 27 17.65%
Love it, its my next car. 25 16.34%
Its cool, but its not a Camaro. 90 58.82%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 11:11 AM   #2157
bhut

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT
Wasn't this a V6 vs V6 thread? Just curious.

I personally don't believe in the 2011 Ford Mustang 315hp V6 story for a few reasons.
  1. The 3.7L is a fine engine, but it's putting out at least 40 fewer horses than that in the vehicles it's currently used in.
  2. A base mustang that matches the performance of the previous year's GT for $7000 less would really piss off the faithful. Even with less torque, a 315hp V6 should weigh about 200# less than the 2010 mod-motored GT and would have fairly comparable performance.
  3. A new V6 that offered 50% more power than the motor it replaces at the same price point would tick off the current V6 owners.
  4. A 285hp V6 combined with the Mustang's lighter weight would put the performance on par or quicker than the V6 Camaro without treading on the 2010 GT's territory.

I'm not bashing the Mustang, as I looked at them and liked the car. Liked the Challenger too for that matter. The Mustang's non-existent back seat (Camaro's is bad enough) was a down-side though.
I feel it would make more sense for Ford to go with a 75hp bump in the V6 to make a better slot for a 3.5L TT option later on and keep the base model from equaling the recent GT's performance.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:53 AM   #2158
All-Or-Nothing
Account Suspended

Drives: BMW 6 series Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhut View Post
I personally don't believe in the 2011 Ford Mustang 315hp V6 story for a few reasons.
  1. The 3.7L is a fine engine, but it's putting out at least 40 fewer horses than that in the vehicles it's currently used in.
  2. A base mustang that matches the performance of the previous year's GT for $7000 less would really piss off the faithful. Even with less torque, a 315hp V6 should weigh about 200# less than the 2010 mod-motored GT and would have fairly comparable performance.
  3. A new V6 that offered 50% more power than the motor it replaces at the same price point would tick off the current V6 owners.
  4. A 285hp V6 combined with the Mustang's lighter weight would put the performance on par or quicker than the V6 Camaro without treading on the 2010 GT's territory.

I'm not bashing the Mustang, as I looked at them and liked the car. Liked the Challenger too for that matter. The Mustang's non-existent back seat (Camaro's is bad enough) was a down-side though.
I feel it would make more sense for Ford to go with a 75hp bump in the V6 to make a better slot for a 3.5L TT option later on and keep the base model from equaling the recent GT's performance.
The 2010's prices already have the new engines prices added on. That's why the prices went up. The new ratings are gonna happen.

Some people might be pissed but what is Ford supposed to do. Cars get upgraded.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:21 PM   #2159
bhut

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT
The $7k I quoted is the current base v6 to base GT pricing for the 2010. I understand that cars get upgraded, but burning your enthusiast base is a bad idea. Will have to wait and see since pre-production numbers can vary quite a bit from the actual model run.

Not my worry anyway though, since I'm getting a Camaro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-Or-Nothing View Post
The 2010's prices already have the new engines prices added on. That's why the prices went up. The new ratings are gonna happen.

Old 10-22-2009, 01:33 PM   #2160
meanmike
Account Suspended

Drives: FIRST ON RACE DAY
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhut View Post
The $7k I quoted is the current base v6 to base GT pricing for the 2010. I understand that cars get upgraded, but burning your enthusiast base is a bad idea. Will have to wait and see since pre-production numbers can vary quite a bit from the actual model run.

Not my worry anyway though, since I'm getting a Camaro.
You cant call that a burn it's called competition and they have some. If that's the way people looked at it then the Camaro would be up shit creek after it's disappearing act. IMO that is the biggest burn you could do and as we can see it apperently did'nt anger too many people.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:15 PM   #2161
syr74
Account Suspended

Drives: Thunderbird
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_Username View Post
The only reason why it is winning those comparisons is because it is winning on handling (not the technical handling, but mostly the feel of the car) and looks, both of which are subjective.
Absolutely incorrect. Camaro absolutely accelerates faster, but Mustang virtually always tops the Camaro is every objective handling category whether the measure used is skidpad, slalom, or figure eight, and does so by a meaningful margin. It doesn't get any more by the numbers than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a-Username
We all know which is the faster of the two, rather it be around a track or in a straight line.
Also not correct. Again, Camaro does indeed out-accelerate Mustang and, on road courses where that superior acceleration and better brakes can overcome the Mustang's handling advantage, the Camaro wins. That said, the fact that all of the Mustang's handling numbers are superior to the Camaros tells you that if you start taking away sections of straightaway and add more curves the advantage will eventually swing over to the Mustang. That means that some tracks will favor Camaro and others will favor Mustang.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:35 PM   #2162
a_Username

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by syr74 View Post
Absolutely incorrect. Camaro absolutely accelerates faster, but Mustang virtually always tops the Camaro is every objective handling category whether the measure used is skidpad, slalom, or figure eight, and does so by a meaningful margin. It doesn't get any more by the numbers than that.

Also not correct. Again, Camaro does indeed out-accelerate Mustang and, on road courses where that superior acceleration and better brakes can overcome the Mustang's handling advantage, the Camaro wins. That said, the fact that all of the Mustang's handling numbers are superior to the Camaros tells you that if you start taking away sections of straightaway and add more curves the advantage will eventually swing over to the Mustang. That means that some tracks will favor Camaro and others will favor Mustang.
I'm talking about handling in real world situations. You know how pointless it is to have a track mostly made of curves? That means horsepower would amount to almost nothing and have little affect and things like the Evo X could outdo Z06's lol.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:37 PM   #2163
a_Username

Quote:

I find this hard to believe. They are increasing the price with an engine that isn't on that current model? Wow it's either you're right and 2010 owners got screwed, or you're wrong and the mustang is going to cost a lot more than expected.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:47 PM   #2164
All-Or-Nothing
Account Suspended

Quote:
I find this hard to believe. They are increasing the price with an engine that isn't on that current model? Wow it's either you're right and 2010 owners got screwed, or you're wrong and the mustang is going to cost a lot more than expected.
I'm afraid I'm right. The 2010 owners still got a GREAT car.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:06 PM   #2165
a_Username

Quote:
I'm afraid I'm right. The 2010 owners still got a GREAT car.
If I was a 2010 mustang owner after knowing this, I'd be like
Old 10-22-2009, 08:26 PM   #2166
syr74
Account Suspended

Drives: Thunderbird
Quote:
I'm talking about handling in real world situations. You know how pointless it is to have a track mostly made of curves? That means horsepower would amount to almost nothing and have little affect and things like the Evo X could outdo Z06's lol.
I suppose the real world depends a lot upon where you live. I have lived in Northeastern and Southeastern Kentucky for years now and I can think of many roads where Mustang would almost certainly have an advantage because it is literally turn after turn for miles. Like I said, in some places one car would be favored and in others the opposite would be the case.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:30 PM   #2167
meanmike
Account Suspended

Drives: FIRST ON RACE DAY
Quoted from a guy on a Mustang forum.

Quote:
A few months ago I test drove a 2010 Mustang GT at Tommie Vaughn. When I got to the fateful question "what would it take to earn your business today" my answer was.

1) 5.0L DOHC V8

and

2) My car being paid off.

Salesperson was cool and got my number said he'd call back whenever he'd hear something about the 5.0L car.

Fast forward to today and I get a call from him saying that Ford is coming out with 50 special built 2010 BOSS 302 O/R cars with 400HP and a 6 speed. They are parts number cars strictly for racing purposes only and can be ordered as of now. These will serve as the precursor to the street versions which will follow in 2011.

I thought that was neat. Normally I'd say this was just the new FR500 but I'm pretty thrilled about the BOSS name making a comeback.
Old 10-23-2009, 06:44 AM   #2168
a_Username

Quote:
Originally Posted by syr74 View Post
I suppose the real world depends a lot upon where you live. I have lived in Northeastern and Southeastern Kentucky for years now and I can think of many roads where Mustang would almost certainly have an advantage because it is literally turn after turn for miles. Like I said, in some places one car would be favored and in others the opposite would be the case.
A good track would have a balance of both straight aways and curves. The Camaro would win in these balanced tracks. One's that are mostly nothing but curves, a mustang would win. But a track composed mostly of curves is kind of pointless, it would heavily favor handling over power. Vice-Versa, a track mostly composed of straight roads instead of curves would heavily favor power over handling. Basically, you would need a balanced track to evaluate a car's overall performance.
Old 10-23-2009, 07:52 AM   #2169
All-Or-Nothing
Account Suspended

Quote:
A good track would have a balance of both straight aways and curves. The Camaro would win in these balanced tracks. One's that are mostly nothing but curves, a mustang would win. But a track composed mostly of curves is kind of pointless, it would heavily favor handling over power. Vice-Versa, a track mostly composed of straight roads instead of curves would heavily favor power over handling. Basically, you would need a balanced track to evaluate a car's overall performance.
Well when the new Mustangs come out we'll give it a shot.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:36 AM   #2170
shevyman

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS IOM
yeah they are doing a hotwheels mustang camaro and the 370z but not sure that hard core muscle is doing the z.

Closed Thread