Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 12-14-2022, 09:49 AM   #1
2023_ZL1-AUTO

Drives: 2023 ZL1 - Modified All Bolt On's
Rule of thumb for swaping parts?

So, here comes the newbie! But, as I read through a lot of the posts where members have made awesome mods to their Camaro's. I started wondering if there was a rule of thumb for a newbie to follow for mods. I know it's a good thing to get to know my local performance shop tech’s etc. Along with getting advice from the members here, who have been there and done that!

But, I also don't want to look too awful stupid when I go to my local shop and say: "Hey, I'd like to upgrade this with that". I can just see it now, crossed eye’d looks everywhere! Then the comments: "well.... that would be a great upgrade. But, you will also have to change this and that too, and also get a tune done."

So, for instance, having a new 2023 ZL1 automatic. I've upgraded the air intake with a Cold Air Induction's carbon fiber one. So, what are baby steps for other mods that are worth doing for more HP? Like, upgrade the throttle body? If so, is that a chain reaction requiring the supercharger to be upgraded, and or porting be done? What upgrades will for sure cause a "chain-reaction" to occur. Is there any reason too just upgrade a few things here and there vs an all-out major performance overhaul?

Probably many open-ended comments in-coming. But, I’m just trying to get an idea of what can be changed out without a huge chain reaction or a domino effect occurring. But, things that are worth changing out for more HP.

PS: Please forgive my ignorance ahead of time! Also, I'm not worried about factory warranty!
2023_ZL1-AUTO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 10:31 AM   #2
Katech_Mike

Drives: 2015 Camaro ZL1
Contact the shop that you plan on having tune the car. They can advise what parts work well.

Modding an LT4 car without a tune has VERY minimal gains(none most of the time)
Katech_Mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 10:43 AM   #3
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
As Katech_Mike stated so well, there's little to be gained on these cars without a tune. At that point you're throwing your warranty away so its best to just determine your goals and go all in.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 12:06 PM   #4
2023_ZL1-AUTO

Thanks everyone and I agree with your suggestions. So a new rabbit hole I'm going down... Let's say this.. I am looking at the following from Kong:

1) Kong Performance CNC Ported LT4 Supercharger & Snout
2) "Stage X" Port Add on
3) Full Supercharger Rebuild (not sure I even need this, mine has 160 miles on it)
4) Kong Performance Griptec Pulleys (ALL) LTX / LT4 2.30" Anodized Aluminum (ZPE Hub Style)
5) Nick Williams 103mm Throttle Body for LTX (Black)
6) Local Tune

So, with the above list, I'm fine doing all of it. No big deal, it's winter here in Ohio and I'm not planning on much driving the Camaro around anytime soon. Best time to do major work I guess! But that makes me ask myself... do I just go ahead and add headers and exhaust or consider other items now vs later. Then say: "OK! that's 70% or 80% of everything to do to a street drivable car so now is a good time to stop!"

I guess a more simple questions is, would just the Kong list of mods make a big change/difference in horse power above stock, that's really notable?
Old 12-14-2022, 12:21 PM   #5
Katech_Mike

Drives: 2015 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2023_ZL1-AUTO View Post
Thanks everyone and I agree with your suggestions. So a new rabbit hole I'm going down... Let's say this.. I am looking at the following from Kong:

2) "Stage X" Port Add on
3) Full Supercharger Rebuild (not sure I even need this, mine has 160 miles on it)
4) Kong Performance Griptec Pulleys (ALL) LTX / LT4 2.30" Anodized Aluminum (ZPE Hub Style)
6) Local Tune

So, with the above list, I'm fine doing all of it. No big deal, it's winter here in Ohio and I'm not planning on much driving the Camaro around anytime soon. Best time to do major work I guess! But that makes me ask myself... do I just go ahead and add headers and exhaust or consider other items now vs later. Then say: "OK! that's 70% or 80% of everything to do to a street drivable car so now is a good time to stop!"

I guess a more simple questions is, would just the Kong list of mods make a big change/difference in horse power above stock, that's really notable?
Those mods should add 50-70hp on 93 octane.
Katech_Mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 03:18 PM   #6
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
I started wondering if there was a rule of thumb for a newbie to follow for mods.
Fuel-first approach = best approach. Why? Fuel system capacity upgrades get real expensive real quick, or come with significant risks/drawbacks. Everything else is ... adjustable.

Step#1: Make sure you have enough fuel for the power you're trying to achieve.

Step #2: Upgrade with bolt-ons to get it to breath better (intake/porting/TB/headers) and pump more air in (pulleys, blower change) as needed to support your fueling.

Step #3: Update the tune*, and continue at Step #1.

* presumes the tuner is experienced and competent. They all claim to be, not all are.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 03:36 PM   #7
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
I think if you're looking at all of this you'll want to really think about Ethanol/E85 especially if you're going to turn the supercharger faster with a pully to help mitigate the additional heat that you'll generate.
I'd too IMHO make sure that you get a few thousand miles maybe and really get it shook out, stock, and make sure it's mechanically good to go before you wash away the powertrain warranty.
WhiteMale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 04:12 PM   #8
clg82

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1
Quote:

2) "Stage X" Port Add on
6) Local Tune

I understand what you're trying to achieve, and being from the midwest and now living in California I feel your pain but........why not just drive it and decide after only 160 miles what mods you want to do next? 160 miles is barely enough seat time to enjoy the car for what it is stock, you may not even want to modify it.....
Old 12-14-2022, 05:41 PM   #9
JTS

Drives: 2023 ZL1 A10
Congratulations on you new ZL1, I agree with posts # 7 an 8 , before you throw away your warranty, do your brake in period if just that , any bugs should shake out , with all systems of the car. Let's just talk Electrical with out a warranty,it could get very expensive,if there was faulty parts , that usually turn up in the first few k miles.
That being said , there is a current Thread in this ZL1 section about stage 2 Mods and some other you can look for . Seams what you get from different shops and what a person pays , seams to be miles apart . I know you are doing the work yourself , but just minus the labor charge and what a person get in parts from one shop to another is still miles apart from the content in the Threads and posts in them. You are doing you homework and continue to get as much Information on the different manufacturer of parts to get the best quality and performance parts. I'm learning myself, so in 2yr 9 months my warranty is gone , and I get the best parts for my $$$. Happy Motoring
Old 12-14-2022, 06:39 PM   #10
kjhowell75

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
In reading through this post, I must agree with putting a few thousand miles on your new ZL1. I have a 2021 ZL1 with just over 5,000 miles and I am just now entering a significant upgrade. I did the first oil change after 500 miles of light, moderate driving (yes I did open it a few times after 200 miles once I felt confident the rings were broke in). Had another oil change and most important a full rear end service performed at 1,000 miles at the Dealer. Oil was changed again at 4,600 miles and with 5,327 the fun begins. I get where you are at, I did a rotofab dry cold air intake and a flex fuel upgrade around 100 miles, however I have never ran E through it. While it is labor intensive by far the best HP you can do is a cam upgrade. The more you go down the rabbit hole fuel plays a key factor in everything. Doing a cam upgrade with 32% or 38% fuel lobe helps the equation significantly. I have no idea what HP level I will be at, however my build mirrors many Stage 2 or Stage 3 packages out there from the popular third parties.
kjhowell75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 06:49 PM   #11
kjhowell75

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
I wanted to add one more point and a suggestion to your first selection of upgrades. The Kong X Port is considered a "max effort" port. You really have to spin the crap out of the S/C to realize the gains..... Most like me stick with the Standard Port as heat is the enemy with a Positive Displacement Supercharger. Spinning the 1.7L S/C to realize the potential of the X Port will need significant cooling upgrades (Interchiller, Upgraded Heat Exchangers, Separate Intercooler Tank and Upgraded Pump). Most people would also agree that it is better to upgrade the lower pulley vs the upper pulley. I am doing a Kong Standard Port LT4 S/C with MPI Lid; Big3Racing Intercooler reservoir; Nick Williams 103mm Throttle Body' ATI Balancer with 9.14" (14% Overdrive) S/C Pulley; Speed Engineering Upgraded Heat Exchanger. Just wanted to share the needed upgrades when you start turning up boost......
kjhowell75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 09:11 PM   #12
2023_ZL1-AUTO

OK! Great!!! I've re-read most these reply's at least twice. I'm in agreement and see the light! I've not even really driven the car yet, the weather sucks for the next 2 months at minimum. So, I should get through this coming spring and summer as it is, see what I like and don't like etc. Then I can make a fall/winter mod list and have 4 months to keep in in the garage and a part if needed! I do want to keep it an ok daily driver, although this is really a cars-and-coffee driver for me. I have multiple other cars to get around town and to my clients etc. So thanks for opening my eyes to also making sure the car has no glitches before I VOID the warranty ! I check out the other thread on stage 2 mods! Thanks again for all the wisdom!
Old 12-15-2022, 06:23 AM   #13
Spaceme1117

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS, 2011 Corvette GS
If I had a ZL1, I put on a RotoFab big gulp intake, Kooks headers and cats, and get it tuned. Then I'd drive it like I stole it.

An excellent mod would be to install a Banks SuperGauge for monitoring various engine parameters.
Spaceme1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 09:30 AM   #14
2023_ZL1-AUTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceme1117 View Post
If I had a ZL1, I put on a RotoFab big gulp intake, Kooks headers and cats, and get it tuned. Then I'd drive it like I stole it.

An excellent mod would be to install a Banks SuperGauge for monitoring various engine parameters.
I ordered, has been delivered and ready to install the Banks DataMonster and the expansion SuperGauge, additional the ZZP Dual Gauge Pillar Pod to house them !!!