Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-21-2014, 02:09 PM   #15
Zig Zag

Drives: 2014 1LT
DO NOT trust State Farm.
Zig Zag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 02:28 PM   #16
JacekPSUr1
2013 1SS in IOM

Drives: 2013 1SS
goinggone14

^ I obviously know this is just an option to save money, and that they're not pulling my data without asking first, but there is a huge difference between them already utilizing their actuarial analysts to predict probabilities of accidents, etc. vs. State Farm pulling my car's direct data based on how I drive. I know this is my decision and I'm not asking for anyone to make it for me. It's an interesting subject and it's just a matter of having a discussion.
Old 10-21-2014, 02:48 PM   #17
Swacer

Drives: 2018 GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by goinggone14 View Post
Big Brother? The publicly traded company, State Farm, is Big Brother to you?

They're requesting that you offer them the ability to review your driving for safety in exchange for a discount on being a customer with lower liability for INSURANCE purposes. It's in the name: "Drive Safe and Save Program"

They don't care how you drive, they care about how much it costs to insure your driving ability based on probability of accident. It's comparable to offering coupons to save money on groceries but only if you manage to seek them out and bring them to the store.

This is not a "Big Brother" tactic, and you're being both foolish and paranoid if you choose to be cynical about something that's optional to save you money. Just let it be.
+1
Old 10-21-2014, 02:51 PM   #18
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zig Zag View Post
DO NOT trust State Farm.
That's BS! If you think SF is the only insurance company pushing this idea... you're nuts. This is a program that all insurance companies can (and will) take part in, in conjunction with OnStar. I have had SF insurance since 1981 and NO ONE can touch the rate I am getting - I check every so often.

I have a great agent and I asked him about this. He told me OnStar claims they do not report driver habits other than miles traveled (for rate adjustment) and accidents (the only two potentially favorable reports the insurance company could receive). BUT - he also told me he would not trust that to be true. They could report every instance of excessive speed, track racing, etc. as well and the insurance company would have to respond in kind. My SF agent advised me against signing up for this program if I occasionally partake in "spirited" driving (which I do). So... it's not just State Farm. OnStar is at the root of this. Just say "NO" if any insurance agent tries to talk you into this. Personally, I say say just say "No" to OnStar.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 02:51 PM   #19
2Carats

Drives: '12 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
SMH
Old 10-21-2014, 03:00 PM   #20
Squillo

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS BRM LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalded Dog View Post
But, hey, Kalifornia and Oregon are kicking off a new program shortly, which will charge drivers by the mile (purportedly in lieu of paying gasoline taxes at the pump), using tracking devices (voluntary for now, but they HOPE to have in mandated in ALL vehicles within a few years) that track a vehicle's every move. The stated goal of this program is boldly blaze a trail for this next step in Big Brother's ability to track us so that EVERY state in the U.S. follows suit.

George Orwell had NOTHING on us...
Now they can screw the electric vehicles with taxes too.
Squillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 03:00 PM   #21
PalmerGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by goinggone14 View Post
They don't care how you drive, they care about how much it costs to insure your driving ability based on probability of accident.
Oh yes they do! But it is OnStar that started this... not the insurance companies. You don't think "how you drive" relates to "probability of accident"? I like to take my car out to the wide open country now and then and, well - open her up. You don't think OnStar can know when I do 130 or so down a country road? And they wouldn't report that to my insurance company (for a fee, of course)?

Like you, I don't care for the "Big Brother" paranoia. But Orwell had great foresight, and it is happening more and more just as he predicted/warned.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
Old 10-21-2014, 03:03 PM   #22
PalmerGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Carats View Post
SMH
Whatever that means.

We're not all Twitter geeks and texting nerds...
Old 10-21-2014, 03:04 PM   #23
JacekPSUr1
2013 1SS in IOM

Drives: 2013 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
That's BS! If you think SF is the only insurance company pushing this idea... you're nuts. This is a program that all insurance companies can (and will) take part in, in conjunction with OnStar. I have had SF insurance since 1981 and NO ONE can touch the rate I am getting - I check every so often.

I have a great agent and I asked him about this. He told me OnStar claims they do not report driver habits other than miles traveled (for rate adjustment) and accidents (the only two potentially favorable reports the insurance company could receive). BUT - he also told me he would not trust that to be true. They could report every instance of excessive speed, track racing, etc. as well and the insurance company would have to respond in kind. My SF agent advised me against signing up for this program if I occasionally partake in "spirited" driving (which I do). So... it's not just State Farm. OnStar is at the root of this. Just say "NO" if any insurance agent tries to talk you into this. Personally, I say say just say "No" to OnStar.
Thank you for your input and for sharing your conversation with your ins agent.
That's the whole point I was trying to make - it's really unknown how much info will be pulled and for what purpose.
Old 10-21-2014, 03:05 PM   #24
2Carats

Quote:
Whatever that means.

We're not all Twitter geeks and texting nerds...
Hell, neither am I.. but it means Shake My Head...
Old 10-21-2014, 03:14 PM   #25
PalmerGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Carats View Post
Hell, neither am I.. but it means Shake My Head...
Thanks. Of course, it makes no sense and has no contextual meaning as a stand-alone post. Christ... can't we take a minute and spell stuff out? WTF!
Old 10-21-2014, 03:18 PM   #26
2Carats

Quote:
Thanks. Of course, it makes no sense and has no contextual meaning as a stand-alone post. Christ... can't we take a minute and spell stuff out? WTF!
Somebody needs to tell that to the ARMY. We have a whole different language that would run you crazy. IJS!
Old 10-21-2014, 03:19 PM   #27
KICKER

Drives: 2010 CAMARO 2SS/RS WHITE
WTF! That is FUNNY $H!+ !

Good one PalmerGA!
Old 10-21-2014, 03:20 PM   #28
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
This is just like Progressive's deal that plugs into the data port in the interior. If you don't want to do it, don't. We use State Farm, and they have been great to us, but I would not go for this either.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote