#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 01-26-2018, 01:16 PM   #43
dil2502

Drives: 2017 NGM ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZED SLED View Post
What frame? Airbags hopefully didn't deploy in a rear crash. So maybe it's salvageable?
lol, this x2, almost every car made now is unibody
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allez View Post
You weren't at fault, so it really shouldn't matter what your coverage is - the other driver's insurance is obligated to make you whole.
I agree with this as well
dil2502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 01:17 PM   #44
SoCal Smith

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE A10
How bad is your back?.... You can always sue for Diminished Value...?
SoCal Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 01:23 PM   #45
wstaab

Drives: 69 Z28, 2018 ZL1 1LE
GEN6 Camaro is a unibody structure. The damage to the roof panel above the rear wheel indicates major damage to the unibody. Repair would be expensive and not structurally sound and a liability for anyone who operates the car after repair.
Total loss.
wstaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 01:52 PM   #46
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by dil2502 View Post
lol, this x2, almost every car made now is unibody

I agree with this as well
People also assume that the "frame" being bent is a total for sure. Bodyshops do some amazing shit these days. This game comes down to numbers and thats it. Will it cost more to fix than the fair market value before the crash -the salvage valve of it after the crash?

Its just math boys and girls. If the airbags didnt go, with it being a rear hit, it would surprise me if they fix it with the cost of these cars. I have noticed the value of these cars dropping though, so that could factor in it being totalled instead of repaired. Especially if the salvage value is good.

The percentage of cars getting totalled these days is going up. Its costing more to repair these things than it used to.

Hope it's totalled for sure.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 01:57 PM   #47
motorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstaab View Post
GEN6 Camaro is a unibody structure. The damage to the roof panel above the rear wheel indicates major damage to the unibody. Repair would be expensive and not structurally sound and a liability for anyone who operates the car after repair.
Total loss.
That isnt the roof. That is part of the quarter. Well, on these gen6 cars the entire side is one piece. The roof looks fine and even the door gap looks good. Hell, even that rear wheel looks to be in the correct location. The wheel is bent but only on the lip.
Old 01-26-2018, 02:07 PM   #48
motorhead

The unibody in the gen6 isnt aluminum. Only the instrument dash support. It has aluminum suspension mounting supports and other suspension parts along with much of the sheet metal, but the unibody is high strength steel. That too has to be treated differently thoguh when repairing it. I.e. not using heat to bring it back.
Old 01-26-2018, 02:10 PM   #49
kwav8r
Flyin NOE

Drives: 2018 ZL1 (A10)
The frame is aluminum right?

If so, getting an aluminum unibody frame back into tolerances is going to be difficult. I'm also willing to bet the margins for frame straightness are fairly thin considering the fact it was engineered as a track car.

His performance mods should also back up his intent to race the car. While I'm not sure if that would affect the decision by the insurance company to fix v. total, I would bring it up just to force the fact that this ain't no regular sedan.
kwav8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 02:19 PM   #50
motorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwav8r View Post
The frame is aluminum right?.
No, it isn't
Old 01-26-2018, 02:29 PM   #51
cmeJATT

Drives: SS-6-SPD
ouch!

glad you're okay man.
cmeJATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 02:34 PM   #52
JB'sZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 and 2019 Ram Laramie
Being a unibody, the "frame" includes the roof and those pillars and panels leading to it.

There is no question it can be welded, bent, straightened, etc. until nearly as good as new, but at what cost? Also, more often than not, if the one part of the body is mangled, as in this case the right rear quarter, that shock transfers to other parts of the body as well. In other words, the right rear is not all that is effected by this collision.

In sum, I don't know that you can get all the tweaks out. You may be able to get it to look right. You may even be able to get it to drive (track) reasonably straight. It will still be tweaked after an awful lot of work and product.
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 02:37 PM   #53
kwav8r
Flyin NOE

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
No, it isn't
Thanks for clearing that up.

Having said that, parts of the frame are aluminum and aluminum is not as forgiving as steel, once you tweak it it's generally f-ed.

To add to what JB ^ said, that shock traveled throughout the unibody and likely tweaked pieces and parts throughout the chassis. Getting everything back into tolerance is gonna be difficult at best.
Old 01-26-2018, 04:57 PM   #54
Spulbus2013

Drives: 13 Boss 302 TT, C7
Looks repairable, idk what state ur in but Insurnace is not going to want to give u a new car. They will wanna fix it and make u Take it like that. They don’t care it’s new brand new none of that. Sorry this happened but unless u get a lawyer and pay him some money ur for sure stuck with pushing insurnace people who will take care of themselves first before u.
Spulbus2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 05:00 PM   #55
soceur77

Drives: 17 NFG ZL1 17 GTR 22 RS6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spulbus2013 View Post
Looks repairable, idk what state ur in but Insurnace is not going to want to give u a new car. They will wanna fix it and make u Take it like that. They don’t care it’s new brand new none of that. Sorry this happened but unless u get a lawyer and pay him some money ur for sure stuck with pushing insurnace people who will take care of themselves first before u.
soceur77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 05:05 PM   #56
kwav8r
Flyin NOE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langhans2016 View Post
They just called me and said it’s not a total loss and want to try and fix it! Of coarse I don’t want a wrecked up 70k car what can I do? I am 0% fault I had a perfect car I want a perfect car. the resale value will most likely drop a ton now too. Do I have any options or am I just screwed?
That blows man, I'm sorry.

I'd get a lawyer consult and see what they tell you.