Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 01-20-2024, 07:57 PM   #1
Edwardo

Drives: 24 Sharkskin Camaro 2SS 6MT
Great article on demise of Camaro/GM

This is an interesting read... well written.
https://theweeklydriver.com/2024/01/...ws-gms-future/
Edwardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 08:17 PM   #2
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Yep, opinions without facts, a lack of knowledge and sprinkle in a bit of anti EV half truths. Otherwise pretty good obituary for a fantastic car.

Prediction: 20 years from now the Gen6 Camaro will be appreciated for the great car this site believes it is.
Old 01-20-2024, 08:17 PM   #3
GreenZLE

Drives: 2020 Rally Green ZL1-1LE
My opinion is all the EV transition was forced by the government. The end result will be GM either goes out of business or gets another government bailout.

I'll also predict that once the country is switched to EV's en large, charging will be every bit as expensive as refueling with gas. The government cant help itself. Remember when internet purchases were tax free? You cant even sell USED stuff on ebay tax free anymore!

EV's are a subsidized government trap.
GreenZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 06:55 AM   #4
Smokin19

Drives: 19' ZL1 A10, w/pdr
Stock holders will determine the future of GM. Lagging sales and reduced profits will send any stockholder to sell. We have seen this happen in many other businesses like Disney and Target now seeing sales and profit margins dropping. No one including myself will bet on a losing horse. The EV market has many obstacles to overcome going forward.
BTR Stg II cam w/ 38% fuel lobe, ARH 2" headers into 3" w/cats, AWE Touring, Kong X port, Weapon X triple ht exchangers, NW 103, Rotofab big gulp, DSX lowside, TCM tune, BMR Lockout, Mustang dyno 720 rwhp, 634 rwtq on 93 pump.
Smokin19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 07:05 AM   #5
Mid_Life_Crisis

Drives: 2023 Chevy Camaro 2LT V6 6MT
This pathetic CEO sold GM’s soul to the progressive left and they will pay the price for that. Additionally, shocks me how many people don’t see they are giving up their freedom of movement by going all in on EV…..what happens when government says you can’t charge at certain time due to the grid being overextended. This will happen. Guaranteed. This and a hundred other reasons why 100% EV makes no sense.
Old 01-21-2024, 08:27 AM   #6
bigd1276
2017 HyperBlue 2SS

Drives: 2017 HyperBlue Camaro 2SS
“GM priced the Camaro thousands of dollars more than the competition and did little to promote the new car. Camaro advertising was nearly nonexistent and the car’s sales slipped.“
Now where have we heard this before…. ��

2010 IBM 2LT RS......Traded for.....
2012 IBM 2SS RS......Traded for.....
2017 HBM 2SS
bigd1276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 08:48 AM   #7
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
Another low-quality automotive piece, with the aforementioned half-truths about EV's, and a fundamental misunderstanding about how a publicly traded company makes decisions.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 09:52 AM   #8
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS1LE View Post
What does he misunderstand?
Barra or any other CEO of a publicly traded company doesn't do anything without the confidence of the board, which represents the company's shareholders. What the customer wants is actually secondary to what the shareholders want, although the two are inevitably linked. GM continues to be one of the best-sellers of light pickups in the US, and is also aiming to be a leader in EV's as well. Note that behind the editor's sour comments about EV's, sales of EV's in the US continue to grow year over year. The problem is that automakers have over-estimated demand while infrastructure has been slower to catch up from a position of already being behind.

The article is another misogynistic look at Barra and is obviously anti-EV, and takes a negative stance with regard to GM as a whole because GM "killed" our beloved Camaro. Boring. I consider myself centrist with regards to EV's. I lease an EV for fun, as an experiment to see what it's all about and experience it in my own way, far from any media or internet perception of such. The current limitations of, and public sentiment of EV's can be discussed analytically and without such slant, either for, or against. We get it, Camaro enthusiasts (including myself) are disappointed the model has reached another end. We can do that while acknowledging the Camaro is not currently a focus for GM.

I'm not here to argue. It's all her fault, and the government is making us all buy EV's. Yep. :nods: That's a super-productive way to look at things.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 10:26 AM   #9
L2SS455

Drives: VOM 2022 2SS
I'm just happy that I have a new Camaro in my garage. My ordered, first and only new GM product, and I owned a number of foreign cars. The article summed it up and reminded me of the sign off, of the long term late anchorman Walter Cronkite.

"And that's the way it is."
L2SS455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 11:23 AM   #10
SomeGeoffGuy

Drives: 2023 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd1276 View Post
“GM priced the Camaro thousands of dollars more than the competition and did little to promote the new car. Camaro advertising was nearly nonexistent and the car’s sales slipped.“
Now where have we heard this before…. ��
And it's not even true. I priced out a Mustang that was optioned similar to my 2SS convertible with Mag-ride, NPP, and Nav, and it was almost $10k more.

-Geoff
SomeGeoffGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 01:57 PM   #11
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
i'm not really against electric cars, but they havn't proved to me that their right for me either, in the their distance, i mean i don't even think i can go from Phoenix to L.A. on a charge. When the battery is replaced it's so expensive i suspect a lot of them will be junked. Perhaps truck's are best suited to the extra weight to begin with. It isn't like i'm thrilled with the volatility of gas prices either.
The problem for a car like the Camaro is, let's say GM wanted to keep some cars like it gas powered, well we know it doesn't sell enough on it's own to warrant it's own chassis. The Cadillac's it shares a platform with are selling even worse . I wonder how long cars like those will even be built when everyone seems to want to either drive a truck or a cuv.
Old 01-21-2024, 02:33 PM   #12
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
The article is correct that GM putting all their eggs in the EV basket is a terrible approach and could bankrupt the company but it had nothing to do with the demise of the Camaro. The Camaro has been destine for the trash heap since federal emission mandates. It's my understand the new emission CAFE and GHG standards require all auto manufactures to reach 48mpg in 2025. GM has the corvette and having a second V8 car is not feasible. In order to meet these guidelines fuel efficient and or EV cars have to be sold to offset for the V8 and there are only so many V8s to go around and what are you going to put them in, a Vette, Camaro, or truck. You're not getting rid of the Corvette and the money makers are the light trucks so a pure business decision to stuff the available V8s into the best profit vehicle, the trucks. Camaro will come back but it will be EV and I'm guessing they will be changing course soon and find a happy medium of hybrid and EV vehicles.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 02:55 PM   #13
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mid_Life_Crisis View Post
This pathetic CEO sold GM’s soul to the progressive left and they will pay the price for that. Additionally, shocks me how many people don’t see they are giving up their freedom of movement by going all in on EV…..what happens when government says you can’t charge at certain time due to the grid being overextended. This will happen. Guaranteed. This and a hundred other reasons why 100% EV makes no sense.
This “pathetic” CEO just keeps piling on $10 Billion annual profits……year after year after year.

Please do some research on the grid. Even just a couple of Google searches. IF 100% of vehicle sales are EV by 2030 (and this won’t be the case). The grid will do just fine. And for all cars to be EV, assuming 100% of sales are EVs by 2030, it will be 2050 by then. Do you really assume EVs can’t work because in the next 25 years no on will improve the electrical grid? Seriously?
Old 01-21-2024, 03:18 PM   #14
Spaceme1117

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS, 2011 Corvette GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
This “pathetic” CEO just keeps piling on $10 Billion annual profits……year after year after year.

Please do some research on the grid. Even just a couple of Google searches. IF 100% of vehicle sales are EV by 2030 (and this won’t be the case). The grid will do just fine. And for all cars to be EV, assuming 100% of sales are EVs by 2030, it will be 2050 by then. Do you really assume EVs can’t work because in the next 25 years no on will improve the electrical grid? Seriously?
The electrical grid is being made less reliable by replacing reliable power (nuclear, gas, coal) with unreliable power (solar, wind). That is happening now. Texas found that out in 2021 when their grid collapsed. Just a few days ago, Texas was asking people to not charge their EV's and not use electricity because they did not have enough power as the contribution from "renewables" was nearly zero.

And very few if any new power plants are being built.

EV's have too many issues that will never be solved to be a viable car for most people

The current CEO of GM is a diversity hire, nothing more.

What is needing in the auto industry is a company with a CEO who is willing to tell the government to piss off and then makes care people actually want to buy. But no one has the courage to do that.
Spaceme1117 is online now   Reply With Quote