Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-15-2017, 11:29 AM   #1
burnningice

Drives: 2016 SS Mosaic Black
Headers without tune

Is it possible two install headers without getting a tune? I know the check engine light will come on but is there anyway that we could bypass that? I know a tune is the absolute best thing to do. I did that on my last 5th gen but I would prefer not to tune the 6th gen if I don't have to. I know a tune will give me more power but I also know if you tune it, the dealership will void the warranty. I'm just trying to avoid voiding the warranty for as long as possible.
burnningice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 12:00 PM   #2
marknagy13
Markoon13

Drives: Camaro 2SS
I've heard some people have been able to get away with no code if they put on the "green cats" that come with the headers but it's a case by case basis.
Old 07-15-2017, 12:28 PM   #3
JFM-jr

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
The only difference between the green and regular hi flow cats is the temperature they will withstand. Greens are good for forced induction applications this is what I was told when I called the kooks rep.
ARH 1 7/8 longtubes hi flow cats AFM deleted E85
11.0@124.9
11.65@118.8 pump gas,stock tune/exhaust
New combo: Pray Performance Heads/cam
MSD intake manifold and Circle D 3C
554/491 on E85 all work & tuning done by Pray
JFM-jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 02:46 PM   #4
Tr6
The Dogfather

Drives: #1 off the line for a customer. '16
Even with green/high flow cats it's really 50% 50% that you will or won't get a CEL. Every car and environment is different from others... So who knows if you will get CEL or not lol.

But if you were to get headers, the entire point is for more power and does void your warranty so might as well get a tune.

Don't want to risk voiding your warranty at the slightest? Don't touch ANYTHING powertrain related. GM intake only and a catback are pretty much your only "safest" mods you can do that won't void the warranty. But then again, the argument between modding and warranty is one that lasts a lifetime... Too many variables as well. Some dealerships won't care if you have an aftermarket intake and exhaust, some won't touch it.

If you go into the heavier hitters like boost, not one dealership will touch it unless you went with Callaway (their warranty 100% mimics GM warranty, but that package is 17k).
#33 off the line #1 order for Customer.
Build thread HERE!
Story of my delivery HERE!
Tr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 02:55 PM   #5
burnningice

I am interested to see how much power will be picked up by adding these headers. The factory design is very good on this model. The biggest reason I wanted to add headers was for the increased sound volume.
Old 07-15-2017, 03:03 PM   #6
bigsapper
Banned

Drives: Man
Send a message via ICQ to bigsapper Send a message via AIM to bigsapper Send a message via Yahoo to bigsapper Send a message via Skype™ to bigsapper
Green cats immediately set a CEL on my 2014 Silverado. Snake oil.
bigsapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 03:04 PM   #7
Tr6
The Dogfather

Drives: #1 off the line for a customer. '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnningice View Post
I am interested to see how much power will be picked up by adding these headers. The factory design is very good on this model. The biggest reason I wanted to add headers was for the increased sound volume.
Not much if any without a tune. People love to say that they picked up X power but the funny thing is... You are removing 4 freaking cats or even 2 cats... So you gain power from that. I know from MULTIPLE people for example have picked up 8 to 12 rwhp WITH a tune by let's just say a very popular company as I do not want to slam them or anything. Not my business but that power gain is basically what you would get from removing cats lol.

I would say just remove your secondary cats which open up the sound a lot more during WOT also look into get an axle back... Don't bother touching your headers and primary cats so you don't have to worry about warranty either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsapper View Post
Green cats immediately set a CEL on my 2014 Silverado. Snake oil.
The AFE green cats that they just came out with for the c7, some people get CEL some don't lol. Same thing for the Silverado. Go figure!
#33 off the line #1 order for Customer.
Build thread HERE!
Story of my delivery HERE!
Tr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 03:05 PM   #8
bigsapper
Banned

Drives: Man
Send a message via ICQ to bigsapper Send a message via AIM to bigsapper Send a message via Yahoo to bigsapper Send a message via Skype™ to bigsapper
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFM-jr View Post
The only difference between the green and regular hi flow cats is the temperature they will withstand. Greens are good for forced induction applications this is what I was told when I called the kooks rep.
Lol, that's their new marketing direction?
bigsapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 03:14 PM   #9
burnningice

I have a borla attack cat back and secondary cat delete. I like the tone I just one more volume. I know I'm going to void the warranty just trying to pull off as long as I can. I just picked up a set of cooks with cats at Camaro Fest 7. On my 5th gen when I had it tune I picked up 80 hp at the wheel from my priest run to my last. It was supercharged and we also swapped out to a colder copper plug. I would not expect to pick up anywhere near that number.
Old 07-16-2017, 04:25 AM   #10
DevBlackSS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS M6
I ran kooks with green cats without a tune. Got a CEL after 2 days of driving. The power gain was right at 16 hp. Would definetly go with a tune afterwards though. That CEL bugged the heck out of me lol. Even when i reset the code, it would come back on within a day. Just my experience with it. Goodluck!
Old 07-16-2017, 08:34 AM   #11
JFM-jr

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsapper View Post
Lol, that's their new marketing direction?
I wouldnt think its a marketing direction but id think the cats actual material inside is a different makeup. Any forced induction is going to raise Exhaust Gas Temperatures. GM even has COT protection built into the factory tune. The kooks site lists the green cats to be safe to 1500 degrees not sure what their standard cat is rated too. I guess after rereading my response its not the "only" difference so i stand corrected for sure.
ARH 1 7/8 longtubes hi flow cats AFM deleted E85
11.0@124.9
11.65@118.8 pump gas,stock tune/exhaust
New combo: Pray Performance Heads/cam
MSD intake manifold and Circle D 3C
554/491 on E85 all work & tuning done by Pray
JFM-jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 08:39 AM   #12
burnningice

On my 5th gen that was supercharged I used standard cats. I never had a problem and really did not know what the purpose of green cats were.
Old 07-16-2017, 08:47 AM   #13
bobshannon22

Drives: 2016 camaro 1ss
I drive around for about a month with my full kooks exhaust (no cats). I got a CEL after 100ish miles. She ran just fine.
Old 07-16-2017, 12:44 PM   #14
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
I did just that with two 5th gen Camaros in the past, that is, running LTs without a tune. You will get CELs from time time to time but you can keep a code reader/editor in the car and look at the CEL and turn them off. The main benefit of the tune applied to LTs is turning off the O2 sensors after the cats. The front O2s still work and do their job.

As to power you get most or all of it without the tune. 15 Rwhp on an SS for the CA6. The main reason the CA6 SS does not get more benefit from LTs is it already has shorties and the stock cats flow pretty well. My 5th gen 1LE set up this way still has the bolton ET record. It's not that fast, but not many people drag race 1LEs.

I am sure some will disagree with me, but been there done that.

Another benefit of avoiding the tune is you can set it back to stock and the car has never been flashed. When you trade in your car the dealer may check and ding you for it.