Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-30-2023, 03:43 PM   #1135
Silveradoss573

Drives: Camaro 1LE
Good to see though so many on this site nevermind other places with basic common sense with regarding this B.S ev garbage trying to be rammed down our throats. It'll bit the manufacturers in the ass soon enough and I'm look forward to it especially gm....😂
Silveradoss573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 03:58 PM   #1136
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
Another nail in the coffin.

The study authors say the $1.21 cost-per-gallon equivalent of charging a car cited by EV advocates excludes the real costs born by taxpayers for subsidies, utility ratepayers for energy investments, and non-electric vehicle owners for mandate-and-environmental-credit-driven higher vehicle costs, which they say total $48,698 per EV. Those costs must be included when comparing fueling costs of EVs and traditional gas-powered vehicles, TPPF maintains.

“The market would be driving towards hybrids if not for this market manipulation from the federal government. We’d be reducing emissions and improving fuel economy at the same time on a much greater scale,” study author Jason Isaac told The Center Square in an interview. He then cited Toyota estimates that the batteries from one EV can power 90 hybrids and reduce emissions 37 times more than that one EV.

https://www.thecentersquare.com/nati...b22909078.html
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 04:05 PM   #1137
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capricio View Post
I'm eager to learn where I can buy one of these "10 min charge/1000+ miles of range" vehicles at a consumer level.

Maybe part of the disconnect is because you're coming from a more densly populatated area (europe in general) with smaller distances and a more moderate climate. EVs are better suited for short commutes, and above zero degrees Farenheit operation. Power distribution is a greater challenge in the western US than what you're accustomed to.
You won't see it. Look even his buddy from gm (who he tells us that we shouldn't be questioning) says "Any “statements” of when solid state is coming are projections at best."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Solid State is in a position of the technology has been proven, but manufacturing at scale has not. Any “statements” of when solid state is coming are projections at best. Sorta like projections for Fuel Cell Electric Vehicles. “Fuel Cell Electric Vehicles are the vehicles of the future and always will be”. Ok, solid state probably has a bit of a firmer footing than that, but we’ll see.

For the first few iterations of solid state, expect to see it in low volume primarily luxury focused vehicles, since production scale will likely be very low and as such, very expensive. Toyota will probably lead, meaning Lexus vehicles first.
Look at what the gas prices today are in the UK. $7.42/gallon You wonder why they have no issue there with EVs?

I wonder if gas was $7.42/gallon here in the US if the US auto landscape would look any different. Maybe... but I still have my doubts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by docwra View Post
By all means claim global warming is a scam and rail against it all you like but I dont think you can single out car manufacturers or legislators as the bad guys when this is being decided at government level, and the government are (theoretically at least) acting in the best interests of their electorate.
Leave it from a guy from the UK to tell us here in the US that our Gov has our backs.
jamala00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 04:12 PM   #1138
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Don't you think that among truck owners, this will stigmatize EV trucks as "not real trucks", in terms of capability?
I do, but I’m not a truck guy so I tend to defer to those who are. On the other hand, the EV trucks that are characterized as lifestyle trucks are capable, but not for extended periods of time.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 04:16 PM   #1139
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Ford assured investors last week that its generous deal with the United Auto Workers wouldn’t threaten its profitability. The same can’t be said of its electric vehicles, which lost $3.1 billion during the first nine months of this year.

…For now, auto makers are simply pumping the brakes on their electric-vehicle investments. Tesla recently paused plans for a new factory in Mexico. General Motors CEO Mary Barra last week scrapped the company’s electric-vehicle production goals, citing flagging demand.

Honda on Oct. 25 scuttled plans to manufacture low-cost electric vehicles with GM. EVs are “a pretty brutal space,” Mercedes CFO Harald Wilhelm said the next day. “I can hardly imagine the current status quo is fully sustainable for everybody.”

Ford joined the pileup and postponed $12 billion in planned electric-vehicle investment, stating that buyers weren’t willing to pay a premium over gasoline cars—even with a $7,500 federal tax credit and hefty state subsidies.
Old 10-30-2023, 04:20 PM   #1140
jamala00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyzz Kydd View Post
Ford assured investors last week that its generous deal with the United Auto Workers wouldn’t threaten its profitability. The same can’t be said of its electric vehicles, which lost $3.1 billion during the first nine months of this year.

…For now, auto makers are simply pumping the brakes on their electric-vehicle investments. Tesla recently paused plans for a new factory in Mexico. General Motors CEO Mary Barra last week scrapped the company’s electric-vehicle production goals, citing flagging demand.

Honda on Oct. 25 scuttled plans to manufacture low-cost electric vehicles with GM. EVs are “a pretty brutal space,” Mercedes CFO Harald Wilhelm said the next day. “I can hardly imagine the current status quo is fully sustainable for everybody.”

Ford joined the pileup and postponed $12 billion in planned electric-vehicle investment, stating that buyers weren’t willing to pay a premium over gasoline cars—even with a $7,500 federal tax credit and hefty state subsidies.
You mean the build it (no matter the cost) and they will come, thought process didn't work... Hmmm who would of thought. Like someone mentioned a while back ago... You can only ignore the markets for so long. I can only imagine what the EV market would look like today if there was never a Gov credit or tax incentive on them. What say you... cut in 1/2 for sales or even more here in the US?
Old 10-30-2023, 04:28 PM   #1141
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Don't look now but the wheels are coming off the EV bandwagon.
Old 10-30-2023, 04:31 PM   #1142
bsn

Drives: 2013 ZL1
All this green energy isn't really all that clean, eventually it will be but definitely not now.
All this talk about a 10 minute 1000 mile charge being mainstream is a pipe dream, the electric Transmision and Distibution infrastructure would have to have major upgrades to be able to support it.
If the U.S. was at all concerned about lowering our carbon footprint they would push for keeping manufacturing in this country with common sense regulations instead of importing half way across the world from a country that just built 200 coal plants while pushing everyone else to be clean.
bsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 04:35 PM   #1143
jamala00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyzz Kydd View Post
Don't look now but the wheels are coming off the EV bandwagon.
Read till your hearts content.

Those are only articles within the last month.
Old 10-30-2023, 04:41 PM   #1144
jamala00

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsn View Post
All this green energy isn't really all that clean, eventually it will be but definitely not now.
All this talk about a 10 minute 1000 mile charge being mainstream is a pipe dream, the electric Transmision and Distibution infrastructure would have to have major upgrades to be able to support it.
If the U.S. was at all concerned about lowering our carbon footprint they would push for keeping manufacturing in this country with common sense regulations instead of importing half way across the world from a country that just built 200 coal plants while pushing everyone else to be clean.

But... but... but... the guy from the UK said so and we can't question him... They are 5 years ahead of us and he's "literally" telling us what coming. He said so just a few pages back in this thread.

See

Quote:
Did you actually read my post? Im living in a country thats ~5 years further down the EV road than the one you live in, Im literally telling you what is going to happen in the USA.
Old 10-30-2023, 04:56 PM   #1145
Devstrike

Drives: 2020 Camaro LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
The issue here is “Lifestyle Truck”.

There are stats somewhere that split light-duty truck usage into two categories: Lifestyle trucks and focused use trucks. This is why both Ford and GM have developed Work Truck variants of their EV trucks. The general thinking is that such a large portion of the light duty truck market (F150 as opposed to F250/350 and on up) is used as lifestyle trucks they could focus the mainstream EV trucks to fit the lifestyle truck market and continue to offer F250 Silverado HD, Ram 2500 as the “truck” trucks.

The EV trucks would basically replace the trucks that are bought primarily for transportation with the occasional Home Depot run or furniture moving task. Buyers requiring the heavy hauling and towing capability would still be expected to buy the 3/4 ton and up vehicles.

I am kind of hoping that there will be an ICE 1500 cause towing long distance I actually could fall into that category when towing my Camaro to events or other towing needs. EV just doesn't have the towing range capability however a 2500 Gasser from any of the big 3 aren't that much more expensive and they aren't doggy anymore like they used to towing 10k or less.
Devstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 05:22 PM   #1146
The Zebra

Drives: '24 ZL1 A10, '70 Olds 442 W-30
Quote:
And on the "forcing" thing .......... I dont know how it is your side of the pond but we have pretty much accepted that stuff needs to be greener/cleaner in general.

This means theres a lot of legislation to move industries and products in this direction, auto manufacturers are just one of them.

By all means claim global warming is a scam and rail against it all you like but I dont think you can single out car manufacturers or legislators as the bad guys when this is being decided at government level, and the government are (theoretically at least) acting in the best interests of their electorate.
It is being forced prematurely. The concept is there, but the large scale technology is not. Simple as that.
The Zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 05:33 PM   #1147
The Zebra

Drives: '24 ZL1 A10, '70 Olds 442 W-30
Quote:
I'm eager to learn where I can buy one of these "10 min charge/1000+ miles of range" vehicles at a consumer level.

Maybe part of the disconnect is because you're coming from a more densly populatated area (europe in general) with smaller distances and a more moderate climate. EVs are better suited for short commutes, and above zero degrees Farenheit operation. Power distribution is a greater challenge in the western US than what you're accustomed to.

Distances here can be comparatively vast. From where I live, a round trip single day excursion to nearlest major metropolis would be around 360 miles, 3 hours each way on an interstate highway at 75 mph. That's right around the range limit for any current EV. Now, lets say it's cold, maybe some headwinds, and my used EV has already lost 5-6% of it's capacity. Probably not something you'll ever have to deal with where you live. I can make it easily on a single take of gas in my 22 year old luxury car. But you and now my own "representative" government, for my own best interests as seen fit by yourselves and not me, want to regulate it out of existance. Yes, I do resent this.
This is one example of many, many reasons this EV thing is not ready to be rolled out yet so aggressively. EV technology needs to evolve with as little government involvement as possible and not be pushed out the door before it's ready. We should let the private sector continue to develop the technology until it's realistically feasible to implement it on a large scale.
The Zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 07:02 PM   #1148
Windycity

Drives: Yellow 1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zebra View Post
EV technology needs to evolve with as little government involvement as possible.

I’m assuming we should stop government involvement with oil company subsidies as well?

After 150 years of oil exploration, the taxpayers are still continuing to assist oil companies as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Windycity is offline   Reply With Quote