Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 12-24-2017, 12:49 AM   #57
OverZeaLouS

Drives: 17 Camaro 2SS & 16 acura TLX
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
as long as it's an option i wouldn't care if they offered it. I rather enjoy not having to deal with unlocking my gas door with buttons or a key.

Since i'm not a douche nozzle and i dont live around douche nozzles, my concern for someone tampering with my gas tank is about on par with being concerned that my car will be spray painted while i'm at work, so i'll save my 10 cents and thank GM for letting me do so as i simply push my gas door to open it.
i personally think its stupid. People do dumb shit. Someone just put ketchup on my camaro for no reason. I didnt cut anyone off or anythibg

My e
370z, the gas door locked and unlocked with the doors. U pull up to the gas station. When you open yoyr door, you cap unlocks. When you get in and drive off and the doors lock at 15mph. So does ur gas cap. Its just precautionary. People hate for no reason.
OverZeaLouS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 01:50 AM   #58
nearwater

Drives: '17 2SS 50th
Wow, I didn’t know until now that the US cars don’t come with the locking mechanism.
It’s suspectible to vandalism.
Old 12-24-2017, 04:47 PM   #59
Wolvie70

Drives: 2016 2SS, Summit White, A8, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
You have a greater chance of being eaten by a shark in the middle of Arizona than that happening.

Wow are some people paranoid.
Says the people who think someone is so jealous of your Camaro they are putting something in your gas tank, or wanting to siphon gas out.

Ridiculous
Wolvie70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 04:56 PM   #60

Drives: 2018 zl1
I thought it locked until I read this post. Truly amazing....
91454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 05:31 PM   #61
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
So glad it doesn't lock, a royal PIA to unlock . If you never piss people off, you will probably not get vandalized . I did auto damage claims in the field for 33 years, seen all types of vandalism claims regarding spray paint, scratches, eggs, foreign material in the gas tank etc etc and everyone you end up saying, someone didn't like this person.
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 09:50 AM   #62
ecko04

Drives: Too many to list
If it were there, fine. Since it’s not, also fine.

I was in a rental Grand Cherokee in Philadelphia a few years ago. Had to get gas as I was on “E”.

Ended up ripping out the left side interior in the hatch to get access to the fuel filler. Roadside assistance would’ve taken 3 hours to get to me and the manual release that I found by using Google wasn’t working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
ecko04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 10:44 AM   #63
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
A lot of you are totally missing the point.

Most manufacturers have standard locking fuel doors on every vehicle they sell. It has little or nothing to do with whether anyone is scared of having someone steal or sabotage their fuel.

Honda, Toyota, BMW, Mercedes, Hyundai, and VW/Audi have had locking fuel doors on ALL their cars for the last 30 years. Ford has had them on various cars since the 80s (I know my Dad’s 1988 Thunderbird had a remote fuel door release) and I think it’s standard on most of if not all their cars now.

GM is just simply out of touch with their competitors on this feature. ESPECIALLY if it’s on the European models which would require little cost and actually STREAMLINE production if ALL Camaros had it.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 06:18 PM   #64
Klayman

Drives: 2017 2SS A8 Black
I think this should go to the Ask Al section.....I'm sure team camaro can handle this one...
Old 12-26-2017, 06:14 PM   #65
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Deja Vu all over again, back in 2/2017 I made a thread in Gen5 forum because noticed the 2014 fuel door had a fitting molded on that would accept a lock pin; wanted to add a solenoid on my Gen5. This thread answered my questions ... it is included on European models. Good to know. Thanks!
2014 2SS/RS, Z28 CAI and High Wing Spoiler, ZL1 5.1:1 Ratio Short-Throw Shifter, ZL1 Pedals, ZL1 splash guards, NPP Dual-mode quad tip exhaust, Z28 strut tower brace, Camaro LED Cup-holders with footwell Lighting option, Leather visors, and Leather E-brake boot. Chevy dealer sponsored 67 retro SS nose stripe package.
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 07:22 PM   #66
Smudo

Drives: ZL 1 2018, BMW M4 Comp. 19, Z4 M 06
Solutions or Recommendations to ��?
Smudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 01:41 AM   #67
FLTRCamaro

Drives: 2016 2SS
A fuel door lock would not stop a fuel thief.. if they have the time to steal your gas with a siphon hose then all the perp would need is a large flat head screwdriver to pry open the fuel door and then you would have paint damage on top of the fuel loss.
It is only a minor deterrent at best but with the price of gas in the EU i get why GM added it but why not make it a standard feature on all Camaros? Only GM can answer that question.
To be honest Im not worried about gas theft at all but I could see it happening more often up here with gas prices sky rocketing to almost $7.00 a gallon Canadian for premium The cost is just over $100 to fill my car if i run her down close to empty!

Last edited by FLTRCamaro; 05-17-2018 at 02:05 AM.
FLTRCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 02:36 PM   #68
00 Trans Ram

Drives: 2017 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by trboxman View Post
What is the probability of this failure at a gas station? Damned near so small that you can't measure it.

If your luck is that bad then you're just perpetually screwed and it really won't matter if you have a lock or not. Might as well go back to debating how many angels can dance on the head of a pin...
Happened to me on my G8 dozens of times. Pull up, unlock doors, gas cap doesn't unlock. Had to keep pressing over and over until I got lucky. One time, it took 30 min.

I eventually took some wire cutters and cut the post.
00 Trans Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 02:42 PM   #69
00 Trans Ram

Drives: 2017 2SS
Here's the question:

How many people in this thread have had their fuel doors lock and that lock failed? I've counted at least 3.

How many people on this thread have had water poured down their capless gas neck (specifically this, as you can't just pour it into the top - you have to have a special funnel or tube)? I've not seen 1 person say this.

So, I'd say it's a LOT more likely to have the mechanism break and you not be able to refuel, than to have the car vandalized.

(Don't even get me started on siphoning. I tried the other day. Wanted to get gas for a friend's Bronco - long story. I tried 4 different hoses - none worked. And 3 of those hoses were specifically for siphoning fuel - leftovers from race car days.)
00 Trans Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 12:51 PM   #70

Drives: na
Sorry, admittedly a couple year old thread bump. Soleil, earlier in this thread , kindly shared pics of his EU Camaro fuel door where the solenoid actuator lock is featured on EU model 6th gen Camaros. I have searched for some time now for the part number for this solenoid. I gather this would need a circuit installed to operate this solenoid on a US model, but this should be no huge challenge to wire up. Calls to local dealer parts department, forums posts, GM and Chevrolet.com chats, etc. have yet to result in a part number for this coveted EU Camaro fuel door solenoid/actuator. Any insights or help in this search would appreciated. ...maybe even a link to a local EU dealer parts department? Please, just trying to locate the solenoid part number, I don't want to prompt further controversy or comments on the efficacy on fuel access security.

Thanks
member is offline   Reply With Quote