Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 03-30-2015, 09:34 AM   #1
Tennis_pro

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Ok I'm oficially confused

I have been hearing so many people say not to use Dexron VI but rather Dexron III in manual transmissions, yet it seems that's the only fluid the dealer sells? What is the deal here? I want ot change my transmissoon fluid as well as the differential and I have no idea what I should be using, even after performing a long search.
Tennis_pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 10:27 AM   #2
z3R0fo01

Drives: 2014 1SS RS 1LE tvs2300
I would recommend amsoil. That is what I use. Talk to the rep on here and you can get a good deal if you buy in bulk.
Old 03-30-2015, 11:06 AM   #3
USMUCL

Drives: 2014 Red Camaro 1SS 1LE
If you want to know what others on here are using, do a search for Redline D4.
USMUCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 01:00 PM   #4
Stingr69
'69 Owned Since '79

Drives: '69 Z/28 LeMans Blue w/White
The owners manual tells you that you need a specific GM part number and there is no generic equivalent. Dexron VI does not meet the required spec. Your dealer does not care to know this. It is in black and white from GM - look in the glove box.

The GM spec special fluid is actually based on Dexron 3 ATF. Many Camaro owners have had great results with using synthetic Redline D4 or MTL. I have used Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF Dexron 3 formula. This fluid is not marketed for our transmission so it does not say it is compatible on the bottle, but it does work great. I have had it in my M6 transmission for almost 5 years and it has improved the shift feel and works without a hiccup. Any of the above will be an improvement over the factory fill.

-Mark.
Stingr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 02:47 PM   #5
Andy-AMSOIL

Drives: bicycle
We can help if you need
Andy-AMSOIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 03:55 PM   #6
Tennis_pro

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Thanks guys, I actually went to the dealer and they don't use dexron VI, that is for the automatic transmissions. They use something just called "manual transmission fluid". I'm assuming this is dexron III?
Tennis_pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 10:43 PM   #7
LS3 Handler
I love the LS3

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS Manual
Yes from what ive read sense they dont use type III in any of there current auto trannys anymore they changed the name to manual tranny fluid as thats what they use in the tremec manuals.
LS3 Handler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 04:27 PM   #8
Dale_K

Drives: 2014 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennis_pro View Post
Thanks guys, I actually went to the dealer and they don't use dexron VI, that is for the automatic transmissions. They use something just called "manual transmission fluid". I'm assuming this is dexron III?
That is the correct fluid per GM. I used it on my Corvette a few years back. I don't know if it is better or worse than the other fluids mentioned in the thread but it is the right stuff if you're going to use GM products. When I used in the Corvette it seemed to be very good. I remember cold weather shifting was improved.
Dale_K is offline   Reply With Quote