Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-13-2016, 03:26 PM   #15
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver-SS View Post
Those guys aren't 'BIKERS', just a-holes on street bikes. Real bikers have respect for theirs and others life and property.
Thank you....
Thor142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 03:33 PM   #16
jcampos

Drives: 2014 Chevy Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherob View Post
If a biker is given the same room as a car/truck, they wouldn't have to split lanes to stay safe in congested traffic. The USA is basically the only industrialized nation that doesn't allow some sort of filtering/splitting (except the state of CA).

There just seems to be a few "hate on biker" posts today... and they are hitting a nerve.
+1

I was a biker for years. I rode a gixxer 600 and 750. I never lane splitted though (is that even a word?). However, I did haul ass away from traffic and I never traveled next to anyone. So, at times yes, I may have seemed like a jerk just hauling ass. Not true though I went fast to get away from distracted drivers for my safety and when at a safe distance I would resume the speed limit.
jcampos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 03:34 PM   #17
nosmr2

Drives: 2011 L99 SS
Split lanes at your own risk.

Too many bad drivers, both car and motorcycle drivers here in Houston.

nosmr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 03:38 PM   #18
IOMCamaroSS
#PrimeCamaros

Drives: IOM '10 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCSarge View Post
The purpose of allowing motorcycles to "split" lanes is to allow them to get out of motor vehicle congestion and provides for more safety for the motorcyclist.
I don't see how squeezing inches between two cars is "safer". Only had this happen to me once. Some douche was lane splitting with several cars backed up in both lanes at a stop light.. at well over the speed limit mind you.

Safety my butt.
Old 04-13-2016, 03:43 PM   #19
sherob

Drives: 2015 SW 1SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosmr2 View Post
Split lanes at your own risk.

Too many bad drivers, both car and motorcycle drivers here in Houston.
I rode and commuted for years there... cut my teeth on riding there.

Nothing sucks worse than sitting on I-10 in July or August on a ST1300 or Goldwing in rush hour traffic trying to get home to Katy from downtown Houston.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17325&pictureid=134228
sherob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 03:46 PM   #20
sherob

Quote:
Originally Posted by IOMCamaroSS View Post
I don't see how squeezing inches between two cars is "safer". Only had this happen to me once. Some douche was lane splitting with several cars backed up in both lanes at a stop light.. at well over the speed limit mind you.

Safety my butt.
Get rear ended on a motorcycle, once... that's all it takes. I've had it happen... it's really not all that fun, trust me.

Old 04-13-2016, 03:46 PM   #21
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
When I see a motorcycle coming from behind, I just give them a few inches of additional room. It is not worth the accident.
JLSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 03:48 PM   #22
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherob View Post
Get rear ended on a motorcycle, once... that's all it takes. I've had it happen... it's really not all that fun, trust me.
Why am I airborne and where is my bike going?
Thor142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 03:49 PM   #23
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCSarge View Post
The purpose of allowing motorcycles to "split" lanes is to allow them to get out of motor vehicle congestion and provides for more safety for the motorcyclist. In CA where everyone drives like a@@#holes it actually decreased traffic accidents for motorcycles significantly and saved a lot of lives getting them out of the kill zones in bumper to bumper traffic.

That being said, yes there are some idiots that think this is the opportunity to ride like a jerk and race thru heavy traffic. I have been riding for over 40 years and I have seen both sides. I have had to use it to get out of a situation and I even had a woman open her car door to prevent me from going through. That's why I scan everything I can see constantly and don't ride any faster than my angel can fly.....Just my .02

actually the original intent of allowing lane splitting (same as allowing motorcycles in the HOV lane) was because motorcycles used to be air cooled and sitting in traffic would cause them to over heat and create a hazard for the cyclist and for the rest of traffic.

it has nothing to do with allowing them to get out of congested traffic.

today the vast majority of bike are liquid cooled in addition to air cooled, they can sit and idle as long as a car and never over heat, so the 40 year old out of date archaic laws need to be updated.

I have been riding for 30 years, I live in CA, and yes I do lane split, when traffic is stopped to get the front of the line at a red light, or to buy pass stopped traffic on a highway.

However, I lane split in the correct fashion and in accordance with the law, not exceeding 10mph over the speed of the traffic, and never when the traffic is moving faster than 25mph.
Old 04-13-2016, 03:51 PM   #24
hush18

Drives: 2012 2LT RS
CHP guidance is not to exceed 10 miles per hour over the speed of traffic, which it doesn't really look like he's exceeding that.
hush18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 04:00 PM   #25
davepnw

Drives: 2010 2LT, switchblade silver
The original reason many years ago for lane splitting was the fact all or most motorcycles were air cooled. If they sat in non moving traffic for too long they would overheat, so the law gave them a way for their engines to survive. If the traffic is moving at all I will not lane split in California. It's also very hard on clutches in stop and go traffic. I realize the OP really wouldn't have run the idiot off the road.
davepnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 04:37 PM   #26
rickwelch69

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Turbo 4
I love when they park on the sidewalk right by the entrance to the bar, grocery store, office, etc......................
rickwelch69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 04:40 PM   #27
sherob

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickwelch69 View Post
I love when they park on the sidewalk right by the entrance to the bar, grocery store, office, etc......................
Then you complain when they take up a whole parking spot in the lot... the one you were going to pull into, until you saw the bike.

Old 04-13-2016, 05:03 PM   #28
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Wow! That's legal?
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote