Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-24-2016, 11:41 AM   #43
merlin803

Drives: 2016 Summit White Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
How big are you and can you comment on the size of the interior compared to your 5th gen.
I am 6'2 and 270ish and that one is tough to answer because I haven't yet had a lot of time in it, I am 'used' to driving a gen 5 Camaro (past 5 years) AND I went from never having a sunroof to having one in this new car.

My first impression is that it seems a little smaller. How much of that is because I have a sunroof? I am not sure yet.

Regardless, I don't feel like it is too small for me or that it makes me uncomfortable. It is just 'different' and I could answer that better after I get some more drive time.
merlin803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 11:42 AM   #44
suplex

Drives: 2011 Coupe, 1LT, A6, No RS Package.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
I finally got behind the wheel of a 6th Gen yesterday for the first time and here is what I thought:

Pros:
-Power, these things will scoot down the road
-Handling, MUCH improved over 5th Gen
-Selective mode, primarily for magnetic ride, but also adjusts steering and on automatics adjusts shift firmness.
-Customizable, more of a luxury, but on the 2SS you can change the interior lighting depending on mode you're in, or how you're feeling that day.
-Wireless phone charger, nice with my S6 Active.
-NPP exhaust available first year. Sounds VERY nice, especially compared to the suitcase mufflers.
-Active Rev matching, nice for when you don't want to think while driving a stick.
-8 speed automatic, goes against EVERYTHING I stand for, but I think I almost prefer the automatic. That thing will flat out move! I even scared the sales guy with how fast it went and I didn't even have it floored.
-Same power/engine for automatics and manuals
-Large touch screen for navigation and other goodies

Cons:
-Space, it is definitely smaller than 5th gens
-Engine compartment space, good luck getting headers in on the passenger side without little hands
-6 speed felt underpowered, the auto had a 2.77 rear-end, the stick a 3.73 and the automatic IMO, will spank the 6 speed in a straight line.
-Active Rev matching paddles, is this an automatic or a stick? Don't make active rev matching paddle shifters.
-Wireless phone charger, while my phone fit, the note or iPhone plus won't fit and the placement of the charger is in the backseat portion of the console
-Even less of a backseat
-Placement of center vents, if you're tall your knee will block these vents from all practical use
-Placement of vent and seat warmer/cooler controls is hard to see/use, this may be because I'm not shorter
-Skip shift lives on for another year
-My link screen angled poorly for tall people, IMO
-Parking brake button instead of handle, personal preference but I always preferred the handle.

OP, I hope this helps.
Magnificent review, thank you for the in-depth information.
Old 01-24-2016, 11:43 AM   #45
joeybsyc

Drives: 2010 Aqua Blue Metallic 2SS
I know they killed any value the 5th gen used to have. Anyone who's attempted to sell or trade a 5th gen recently can attest to this.
Old 11-11-2016, 06:21 PM   #46
sehovarter
HomezSS

Drives: 2014 SS/RS Camaro, 2011 Silverado
so - just got back from a business trip to LA and convinced the gal at Avis to give me a Gen 6 for no upcharge. to my surprise, SS and convertible!! I own a 2014 SS/RS vert - and love it. the car is smaller on the inside - I immediately felt somewhat "compressed" in the drivers seat (I am 6'2", 220) at first it bugged me, but as my time in the seat went on - I found it comfortable. that said, while the foot well is deep, the floor bumps up mid way back to the seat, and so if you are on a long drive, and want to move your feet around - not comfortable at all. LOVE the electromag suspension, now has adjustable steering mode (Tourning Sport, Track and snow/ice) just like the new Stangs - love that feature. the car ran like a scalded dog - visceral, tires just want to spin/smoke - even rolling at 10-15 mph, hit the gas and get a bite out of the tires. had a chance to take it up the Angeles Crest Highway - just north of Pasadena - killer road - early in the am - so just me and the sport bikes, car handled amazing!! NO understeer like my 5th Gen - hammered that road in 3rd/4th running 3500 to 4500 RPM and the car just hugged the road. Also like the hard boot on the vert BUT - it comes at a price - no frickin trunk space. also did not like the cargo shield - the rental was defective - had trouble getting the top to go down without a lot of messing with the snaps. overall, performance wise, the car is amazing. I live in Golden CO - so the snappyness of the new Gen 6 might have been due to sea level versus my 6500 ft - but holy crap, you press the pedal and off the car goes. liked the 8 speed tranny. mine was a 1ss, so cloth, and no heads up or auto dimming mirrors - did not like that. but no rear seat space - and I really don't think it would be very comfortable on the long trips - due to the tighter seat space and the terrible bump in the floor. car was a rocket sled and handled the Angeles Crest highway beautifully - I wanted to just keep going, but had to turn around and get to LAX to give them the car back. smaller drivers might not mind the tighter seating, back seat space smaller than Gen 5, and trunk way smaller with top down - its up to you the buyer to decide. if you are not sure - do what I did, we rented a 2014 SS Vert from Hertz before I bought mine - it was $500 for the weekend, but we took it from Denver to Glenwood springs, and drove over Independence Pass - got a lot of seat time, which cemented it was the car for us! looks are still TBS for me - but handling outshines my Gen 5 (looking at sway bars and other mods) and really like the adjustable steering modes - liked it in the mustang rentals I have had as well. Hope this helps anyone thinking about an upgrade. and google Angeles Crest Highway and see what I am talking about - what a killer driving road - simply awesome!!!!!
2014 SS/RS, FR Style 41's, 20x10x4, Borla CatBack with Touring Mufflers w/Magnaflow Glasspacks, Cold Air Inductions Intake, Diablo 91 Octane Tune, Firm Shift, AFM off, BMR cradle inserts, trailing arms and toe links, 1LE/ZL1 Rear Sway Bar, Jannetty Custom Tune for mods noted above (noticable change to how the car drives!!), JL Audio XD700/5 amp and 10 inch Sub, Focal PS 165K's, special wiring kit and amp board, and lots of dynamat (Amazon version) - Sounds GREAT, Runs Even Better!
sehovarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 06:58 PM   #47
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
bought a 2015 RS 3 months ago.i tried the 6th gen while my RS was in the shop getting the TPMS fixed for a long weekend.i didnt care for the styling as much,most likely due to the creases in the front sides of the hood,too busy.on the other hand the 2016 felt smaller,a little more vette-like and better visibility in the right front corner.at 6 ft2 im not short but the center of the 5th gen hood does crop some of the view out of the right front side.im sure the 6th gen has a small performance advantage but i rarely drive like a madman anymore.the interior was not a fair comparo as mines a 2LT RS and i drove a 1LT with tan cloth upholstery but i feel like the 2015 comes out ahead in the interior as far as comfort and style goes.im still a fan of the 5th gen.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 08:47 PM   #48
armycop71
Love my Satin Steel LT-1!

Drives: 6-Speed LT-1...
I was actually shopping for a 6th Gen 1SS when I stumbled upon my low mileage 2010 1SS. I drove both back to back and the 6th Gen was much lighter feeling and quicker. Mine felt more big and brawny not quite as refined. I ultimately chose the 5th gen due to a great deal and it was 1/2 the price of the new one. But I liked them both. Hopefully my Powerball ticket hits someday and I can have both.

6-Speed Man|Carbon Flash Wheels
Technology Pkg|NPP|Satin Blk Pkg
ZL1 Rock Guards|Red Knee Pad Set
PBC LT1 engine built by Debi Lewis
armycop71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 10:39 PM   #49
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
The BMW can be a real bear to get out of..
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 10:49 PM   #50
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by sehovarter View Post
so - just got back from a business trip to LA and convinced the gal at Avis to give me a Gen 6 for no upcharge. to my surprise, SS and convertible!! I own a 2014 SS/RS vert - and love it. the car is smaller on the inside - I immediately felt somewhat "compressed" in the drivers seat (I am 6'2", 220) at first it bugged me, but as my time in the seat went on - I found it comfortable. that said, while the foot well is deep, the floor bumps up mid way back to the seat, and so if you are on a long drive, and want to move your feet around - not comfortable at all. LOVE the electromag suspension, now has adjustable steering mode (Tourning Sport, Track and snow/ice) just like the new Stangs - love that feature. the car ran like a scalded dog - visceral, tires just want to spin/smoke - even rolling at 10-15 mph, hit the gas and get a bite out of the tires. had a chance to take it up the Angeles Crest Highway - just north of Pasadena - killer road - early in the am - so just me and the sport bikes, car handled amazing!! NO understeer like my 5th Gen - hammered that road in 3rd/4th running 3500 to 4500 RPM and the car just hugged the road. Also like the hard boot on the vert BUT - it comes at a price - no frickin trunk space. also did not like the cargo shield - the rental was defective - had trouble getting the top to go down without a lot of messing with the snaps. overall, performance wise, the car is amazing. I live in Golden CO - so the snappyness of the new Gen 6 might have been due to sea level versus my 6500 ft - but holy crap, you press the pedal and off the car goes. liked the 8 speed tranny. mine was a 1ss, so cloth, and no heads up or auto dimming mirrors - did not like that. but no rear seat space - and I really don't think it would be very comfortable on the long trips - due to the tighter seat space and the terrible bump in the floor. car was a rocket sled and handled the Angeles Crest highway beautifully - I wanted to just keep going, but had to turn around and get to LAX to give them the car back. smaller drivers might not mind the tighter seating, back seat space smaller than Gen 5, and trunk way smaller with top down - its up to you the buyer to decide. if you are not sure - do what I did, we rented a 2014 SS Vert from Hertz before I bought mine - it was $500 for the weekend, but we took it from Denver to Glenwood springs, and drove over Independence Pass - got a lot of seat time, which cemented it was the car for us! looks are still TBS for me - but handling outshines my Gen 5 (looking at sway bars and other mods) and really like the adjustable steering modes - liked it in the mustang rentals I have had as well. Hope this helps anyone thinking about an upgrade. and google Angeles Crest Highway and see what I am talking about - what a killer driving road - simply awesome!!!!!
Compared to my car 2012 SS M6 with suspension mods and all that I saw the 6th gen different in the handling. While the ride was to die for driving out of the dealers lot I felt a little unstable at highway speed compared to my car also the car to me understeers like a non M BMW 3 series.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 10:51 PM   #51
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by armycop71 View Post
I was actually shopping for a 6th Gen 1SS when I stumbled upon my low mileage 2010 1SS. I drove both back to back and the 6th Gen was much lighter feeling and quicker. Mine felt more big and brawny not quite as refined. I ultimately chose the 5th gen due to a great deal and it was 1/2 the price of the new one. But I liked them both. Hopefully my Powerball ticket hits someday and I can have both.
The new 6th gen does indeed feel more refined. I actually liked it way better than the BMW M235 that I drove.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote