Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-14-2013, 02:23 PM   #29
littlecammi

Drives: '87 Pontiac Fiero GT
If you come upon standing water in the roadway, unless you're driving this (see pic below), forget it and turn around and head the other way.
Attached Images

littlecammi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 04:12 PM   #30
Kleeeb

Drives: 2014 Red Hot 1LT/RS
Send a message via MSN to Kleeeb Send a message via Skype™ to Kleeeb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrando View Post
I had a cai on my Sentra that hung down like that. I bought one that had a pop-off valve to prevent hydro lock. Thankfully I never used that feature.

OP, try cleaning your MAF.
What is an MAF? If it has something to do with a car, I don't own a camaro yet. I need to change my sig because I am pretty sure I have changed my mind to a 2014.
Old 10-14-2013, 04:35 PM   #31
SSeniorMoment

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 A6 IOM
Monsoon and winter dust/rain storms can cause some crazy weather conditions and are some of the reasons why many people who live in rural environments also own 4x4s. There are blocks of time that Camaro the doesn't get driven because of wind (brown outs)

rain. I was the neighborhood taxi for awhile, driving a HO Cummins 4x4 pickup with a slightly modified suspension and tires. This county dirt road had 4"-6" of water on the right side and two feet plus on the left;

Even tho this private road is drive able, the driver of this 4x4 pickup needed a pull when the back end of his p/u dropped into a mud pit deeper than the height of his rear bumper. I didn't feel any tug when the tractor pulled him out.

Camaros are great vehicles to drive, but one needs to be extremely cautious if caught in a severe weather event. If uncertain about standing/running water on roadways, simply turn around and don't drown.
SSeniorMoment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 04:39 PM   #32
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Don't drive into standing water.

I once drove into about 8" in my Z-24 on a pitch black morning and got the carpet, sound deadener, and trunk liner wet.

Even though I immediately went home and took all that out and dried it, the car never smelled the same.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:45 PM   #33
RollaMo

Drives: 2017 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
a simple rule is if you cant see the asphalt, don't go.... is the road still there or not??? you don't know... Why chance it...
This!
/thread

Anybody that continues driving when they can't see the road surface is just asking for trouble.
I don't care if you do see other cars moving through it.
Maybe they just got lucky and didn't go through that low spot you didn't see.

And especially true if the water is moving. Even slowly it does not take much water to float your car right off the road into much deeper/swifter water.
2015 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited
RollaMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:55 PM   #34
CamaroJoe96

Drives: 2013 Full Bolt on LFX M6
Put a condom over the gas cap and you're good to go!
Old 10-14-2013, 08:03 PM   #35
Kleeeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroJoe96 View Post
Put a condom over the gas cap and you're good to go!
Interesting logic! But no, really guys. I know it's not smart to drive through standing water, and I don't plan on it, but is there a water wading height that is recommended (max)? I know a lot of cars have max depth measurements, but I can't seem to find it for the camaro...
Old 10-14-2013, 08:36 PM   #36
Da Mammer

Drives: 2010 camaro SS... shell...
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollaMo View Post
This!
/thread

Anybody that continues driving when they can't see the road surface is just asking for trouble."I DON'T CARE IF YOU DO SEE OTHER CARS MOVING HROUGH IT." Maybe they just got lucky and didn't go through that low spot you didn't see.

And especially true if the water is moving. Even slowly it does not take much water to float your car right off the road into much deeper/swifter water.
I can't help but feel like that was a little directed towards me from my story. If you see the water yes by all means avoid it. If you don't see if/it looks like the rest of the runoff on the road and it was entirely accidental/unavoidable, then I feel your pain. Believe me I would rather have driven 600yards uphill and around that spot than driven through it and had a personal loss of many thousands of dollars and a year without my car because of the issues plaguing it (my crate engine has burn cylinder rings. Joy.). I'm mechanically inclined and smart enough to know what happens when you try and compress water, especially in a motor. It ain't happening. Some slack would be appreciated.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:08 PM   #37
RollaMo

Drives: 2017 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Mammer View Post
I can't help but feel like that was a little directed towards me from my story.
I am sorry, but it really wasn't directed at you or anybody in particular.
Sorry to read about what happened to your car, and that is just another example of what "could" happen.

My comment was directed more for the individual safety issues that can arise from driving into water.
We had 2 people drown close to here recently when their car was swept off the road.
The driver (may or may not have) seen the danger, but a mother and baby are gone due to the fact their car got swept off the road.
2015 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited
RollaMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:36 PM   #38
Kleeeb

Quote:
Sorry to read about what happened to your car, and that is just another example of what "could" happen.

My comment was directed more for the individual safety issues that can arise from driving into water.
We had 2 people drown close to here recently when their car was swept off the road.
The driver (may or may not have) seen the danger, but a mother and baby are gone due to the fact their car got swept off the road.
So sorry to hear that.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:44 AM   #39
Da Mammer

Drives: 2010 camaro SS... shell...
Quote:

Thank you, and I'm sorry to hear about the loss.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:47 AM   #40
MedicalCowboy
Save lives? Hahahahaha

Drives: An ambulance, a 2ss/rs, x-wing
Why do people get so tore up and emotional over others dying? Dying is a part of living and is natural.
MedicalCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:37 AM   #41
Mobyd

Drives: 2010 White 2SS/RS,01 F150 SuperCrew
I know what you did last week!
Attached Images

Mobyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:20 AM   #42
Kleeeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicalCowboy View Post
Why do people get so tore up and emotional over others dying? Dying is a part of living and is natural.
You sound like a heartless friend that I have. We call her hollow because she is so ditzy sometimes, she doesn't get when something is funny, and then laughs at everything that isn't! (i.e. death, accidents, and any other situation that isn't really funny.) Have a heart, yes people die. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't care, or respect other people's feelings.