Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-03-2012, 08:41 PM   #43
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Drives: Boss 302, Mazda 2, Praga & Intrepid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good2go View Post
I hear you, but you can guarantee that if the Mustang was outselling the Camaro, there would be no end to the Ford chest-thumping... "Look at the Crap-Maro, nobody wants that Gov' Motors junk!" You know it's true.
Maybe on the SVT or Shelby forums (LOL) but in all honesty I've never seen sales figures posted on the Mustang sites I inhabit.
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:15 PM   #44
horrido

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LS
I think mustangs are chick cars.
horrido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:32 AM   #45
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRAHL View Post
True, but if you said Megan Fox is hotter than Rhea Perlman, it's still just an opinion, but the majority of people would agree with you, as would the hotness polls (or sales records). You happen to be Rhea fan, doesn't make you a bad person .
Exactly, all I was saying is something that is totally opinion based cant be stated as fact is all.

Carry on, or as Adam Sandler once said "Go on with the chlorophyll!!"
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:02 PM   #46
SSCAMAROGUY
2012 45th Anniv. 2SS Conv

Drives: 2012 45th Anniv. SS
Folks,

sales and production numbers tell only a very small part of the story when it comes to the sucess of a vehicle. Lets remember, a car has to be and remain profitable for it to remain in production. While the Camaro may have a slight edge over the Mustang in sheer numbers, there are lots of other factors to consider.

First you must consider the "halo" or newness factor. The Camaro still is reeping the benefits of being the new face on the block, but like all new faces, that attraction has already begun to fade.

Second, GM must still sell alot of cars to recoup its investment in R&D, production tooling, marketing and promotion etc. etc. where as by comparison, the Mustangs have long since paid off the big outlays.

Third, sales are already softening and dealers are not getting as much for the 2012-2013 models as the did for the first two model years, thus the profit margins are slipping even further. Watch for sales incentives as evidence of this decline.

Fourth, if you look at sheer production numbers, the new Camaro is already selling less units then in the year the F body Camaro/Firebirds were canned. That's not a good sign, especially when you consider that GM already has one "image car" in the stable which is a loss leader, the Corvette.

The good news, if there is a silver lining, is that with all the pressures on the small muscle car segment of the industry, it may just be worth holding on to these cars while we all keep our fingers crossed that they will have a good long run.

Just some food for thought.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:59 PM   #47
Austin45
The Logistician

Drives: 2012 LFX 45th Anniversary
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
I may be a mustang guy right now, but Im a car enthusiast and love all performance cars. This site is a great way to keep up on what GM is doing not just with the camaro but with their trucks and Cadillac as well. And I love good debate over cars.

But there are still 2 things I don't understand about the mentality on this site.

1. Looks of the Camaro VS Mustang (I know its a camaro site so it will be 99% biased) but looks are subjective, it is not fact it is opinion yet many people state it as fact.

2. People constantly say they are glad they have a camaro because mustangs are everywhere, but are so glad to see the Camaro outselling the mustang which means there will be more camaros on the road than mustangs. pick a side and stay on it.
Exactly. I'm glad for GM that the Camaro out sells the Mustang but I hate it for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteknight012 View Post
The thing I don't like about Camaros outselling Mustangs is the general sense of "brotherhood" between fellow Camaro owners that has all but disappeared in recent months. This time last year (in my town, anyway), if I was driving my Camaro and saw another Camaro on the road, it was an AUTOMATIC nod and wave...a mutual understanding and acknowledgement that we are both attracting everyone's attention as the two best cars on the road. Fast forward to today...I still notice Camaros a long way off, but now I desperately start looking for some kind of modification that will let me know it's an actual ENTHUSIAST instead of some college girl that got the 1LS as a gift. Thankfully, I can get my fix discussing our awesome cars with the other enthusiasts on this site...but times have changed.

The ONLY reason I like to see Camaro outselling Mustang is because it gives me hope that GM will freaking KEEP it this time. But I already miss the days when everyone who owned a Camaro knew they were driving something special.
I have to agree on some levels. In the town I use to live in there were 3 Camaros including mine, (2 were 45ths ) and the 3 of us waved at each other every time we passed. A fair amount of Corvette owners waved as well. Now in the town I moved to there are Camaros EVERYWHERE and it just doesn't command the same attention or mutual respect.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:00 AM   #48
DoggyB22

Drives: 2001 Camaro Z28, 2016 Camaro SS
Even with the Mustang changing its headlights & taillight looks & with the 5th gen Camaro staying the same since 2010... Its STILL beating the Mustang & Challenger. Pretty impressive if you ask me. But I don't know if I had the extra cash I wouldn't mind owning this...

01' Camaro Z28
H/C/I & a 200 shot 450 rwhp & 420 lbtq NA. TBD on spray
16' Camaro SS
LME 416, cammed, high ram intake, ported LT1 heads, stalled. 600 rwhp 550 lbtq
DoggyB22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:21 PM   #49
FastFord

Drives: 2006 Ford Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSCAMAROGUY View Post
Folks,

Fourth, if you look at sheer production numbers, the new Camaro is already selling less units then in the year the F body Camaro/Firebirds were canned. That's not a good sign, especially when you consider that GM already has one "image car" in the stable which is a loss leader, the Corvette.

Just going off memory, I recall reading the combined Camaro/Firebird sales when production ended in 2002 was around 35,000-40,000 units at an annual clip. Certainly that number put the car on thin ice, but I at the time was thinking that if GM stopped production the damage to the Camaro branding may be damaged beyond repair. The 5th generation car selling at a 100,000+ annual pace I believe the car is very profitable and there would be no reason that Camaro fans should be worried. But one recurring theme I see on this forum is the fear that GM may pull the plug again and it goes to back to the Camaro brand being damaged with a 9 year hiatus. The Mustang brand is so strong that the Mustang crowd has no such worries and in most instances believe that the Mustang will produced into perpetuity.

Also I could be wrong but I can't believe the Corvette loses money for GM even at somewhat pedestrian production numbers.
FastFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:12 PM   #50
ShowSStopper
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS Black Coupe
Quote:
I may be a mustang guy right now, but Im a car enthusiast and love all performance cars. This site is a great way to keep up on what GM is doing not just with the camaro but with their trucks and Cadillac as well. And I love good debate over cars.

But there are still 2 things I don't understand about the mentality on this site.

1. Looks of the Camaro VS Mustang (I know its a camaro site so it will be 99% biased) but looks are subjective, it is not fact it is opinion yet many people state it as fact.

2. People constantly say they are glad they have a camaro because mustangs are everywhere, but are so glad to see the Camaro outselling the mustang which means there will be more camaros on the road than mustangs. pick a side and stay on it.
ShowSStopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:18 PM   #51
Stingray
just can't get enough

Drives: a bunch of fast toys...
Quote:

I agree and for my own conundrum I ended up with a pair of rivals. Heck I also like the Challenger SRT-8 but 2 out of 3 ain't bad. The SS is my daily driver which I absolutely love since I have always been a GM enthusiast but the other marques deserve just as much respect.
Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:25 PM   #52
rez333

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by horrido View Post
I think mustangs are chick cars.
.. and apparently Challenger owners think Camaros are chick cars:

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums...rls-car-23565/

Here's a thread from a Camaro owner about chick cars:
http://ls1tech.com/forums/racers-lou...-girl-car.html

.. interestingly they say that your model (the V6) is a chicks car.

See how juvenile this quickly becomes?

Unless it's blatantly a cutesy gutless car like a Fiat 500 or previous gen VW Beetle, I wouldn't call any Pony Car a "chick's car". They're just nice cars that have wide appeal. Guys just happen to more often buy the V8 version.
rez333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:07 PM   #53
tomlink

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS
Send a message via Skype™ to tomlink
Quote:
Originally Posted by rez333 View Post
Guys just happen to more often buy the V8 version.
I'm not so sure of that. The ladies at Camaro5 (IMHO) seem to mostly own the SS. Perhaps Camaro5 does not represent the typical Camaro owner, but I see mostly men driving Camaros by me, regardless of the engine.
tomlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:21 PM   #54
Stingray
just can't get enough

Drives: a bunch of fast toys...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomlink View Post
I'm not so sure of that. The ladies at Camaro5 (IMHO) seem to mostly own the SS. Perhaps Camaro5 does not represent the typical Camaro owner, but I see mostly men driving Camaros by me, regardless of the engine.
I agree as well. I see at least 2 or more V6 Camaros during my daily commute to/from office and nearly all the V6 drivers I see are male. In fact at least half of them have a moderate/heavy foot stoplight to stoplight (zoom zoom)... nothing wrong with that. Going quick from point A to point B.

Like I said before, a Camaro is a Camaro... same family tree. Same due respect.
Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:11 PM   #55
Orange Krate
Not just any car!

Drives: Orange Krate DOB - 11/22/2010
Quote:

According to Storage Wars and a lady working at a gun range... A gal is more likely to "get knocked up in a back of a Camaro." That statement tells me it isn't a chick car so much as it is a chick magnet!!! She said nada about Mustang or Challenger conception.
Orange Krate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:34 AM   #56
Good2go
Team Chevrolet

Drives: 2007 Z06 and 2011 Camaro 2SS
Quote:

Took a look at their thread, guess what kind of ad banners are littered on that board... (Hint: it ain't performance car parts)
Forgeline GA3's 9.5/11 with NT-05 Nitto's, Pedders Sportsryder Supercar Coilovers, MGW Shifter, LPE GT1-1 Cam, AR 1 7/8" LT's, Halltech CAI, SW Retro Chambered Cat-Back, Installed and tuned by Corey @ Henderson Performance Technology.

Last edited by Good2go; 10-12-2012 at 12:44 AM.
Good2go is offline   Reply With Quote