Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Phastek Performance

Old 02-02-2016, 12:06 PM   #1
Karma81

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
1LE Wheels/Tires as a SS option

Why wouldn't they offer the 1LE/ZL1 wheel/tire combo as a Wheel upgrade option for a SS on Chevrolet.com? I have always loved the 5 gen. version. I bought a set on ebay for my 1SS and it looks great, changed the whole look of the car. Much more aggressive stance and some substantially wider tire looks amazing! Why not at least offer it? All the available optional upgrades are a standard stock width/offset. 8.5" front,9.5" rear If they offered a 10" front and 11" rear with an aggressive offset I bet they would sell a ton!
Karma81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 12:18 PM   #2
RenegadeXR

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
They have to give the people who invested in the 1LE package at least something special. Otherwise, it's be incredibly easy to option out a car to look like a 1LE.

The aftermarket will always cater to people like you who just want the rims, however. I'm sure somebody will crank out a set as soon as they get their hands on the factory rims to do measurements.
RenegadeXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 12:21 PM   #3
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
As stated above...gotta keep some things unique on the special trimmed models, and wheels are a big part of that.

I'm 100% sure that some people bought the 1LE due to the look rather than the performance.
Old 02-02-2016, 12:29 PM   #4
Karma81

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenegadeXR View Post
They have to give the people who invested in the 1LE package at least something special. Otherwise, it's be incredibly easy to option out a car to look like a 1LE.

The aftermarket will always cater to people like you who just want the rims, however. I'm sure somebody will crank out a set as soon as they get their hands on the factory rims to do measurements.
I have always thought the All season narrower tire was a good choice for all around sales. Good for fuel economy #'s and for people of all regions of the country for winter/wet driving conditions. However I still think they are missing the boat on not offering a more aggressive Summer tire/ Wheel combo for someone who drives on sunny warm days only.( Doesnt even have to be the 1LE wheels.) But thats why they call them "Options" right...One size doesnt fit all. Besides if you want a 1LE your gonna know the difference and buy a 1LE! Rear gear, short throw shifter, different trans different aero package etc. your just changing the look a little...not the performance.
Karma81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 12:49 PM   #5
RenegadeXR

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karma81 View Post
I have always thought the All season narrower tire was a good choice for all around sales. Good for fuel economy #'s and for people of all regions of the country for winter/wet driving conditions. However I still think they are missing the boat on not offering a more aggressive Summer tire/ Wheel combo for someone who drives on sunny warm days only.( Doesnt even have to be the 1LE wheels.) But thats why they call them "Options" right...One size doesnt fit all. Besides if you want a 1LE your gonna know the difference and buy a 1LE! Rear gear, short throw shifter, different trans different aero package etc. your just changing the look a little...not the performance.
Right, and as you stated, wider tires are better for warm weather performance. This is just one component of the multiple upgrades that makes an SS into a 1LE for track capability. I still don't see why Chevy would feel obligated to offer rims to people who didn't want to pay a few extra thousand for the 1LE.

I'm in your camp, don't get me wrong. I have aftermarket ZL1 style rims, just like possibly dozens or hundreds of other people on these forums. But at the same time, we sort of made the rim a lot less special by flooding the roads with our replicas. Lol. If I could go back in time, I'd have just bought a 1LE because it's a very good value. The 1LE package had cost $3,500 on the 5th gen. Replica wheels and a new set of wider tires will run you about $2,000, and you don't even get the handling upgrades of the 1LE. Hindsight being 20/20, it was not worth it.
RenegadeXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 01:29 PM   #6
BradfordCamaro
SABIO

Drives: 2016 CAMARO 1SS
Wheels from GM would cost a fortune.
Nobody would by them.

BradfordCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 11:58 AM   #7
armoredslayer

Drives: 2016 Black Camaro 2SS
I had a 2011 2ss automatic, recently traded it up for a 2016 2ss stick. Back when I owned my 2011 I did get to know the GM at the dealership pretty good, had seen the wheels on the 1LE and ZL1, the nice black ones, and wanted them for my car, I worked with the GM and he was able to get them for me for a good price (IMO).

I had bought aftermarket wheels, and ill tell you, in my area, if the shops don't know what they are doing it can turn into hell for you, and it did, I returned them after numerous issues, is why I went with something from the factory, knowing id be paying more, but end result they looked wicked on my 2011.

Years pass, the GM left that dealership, I stop by a closer dealership and spotted a black 2016 2SS, go in and bam, the GM I knew was now at this dealership. Long story short, I traded up my 11 for the 16, kept my black wheels and to be honest it totally made the car, looks sick and couldn't be more happy.

You might pay more for the GM wheels, but IMO and experience you will be much more happy, at least I am.

Havent driven a stick in ages but switching from auto to stick I was nervous but couldn't be more happy I made that move 2, lots of fun. Take care guys and ladies.
Old 02-03-2016, 01:16 PM   #8
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Keep an eye on Ebay...

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=435735
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 03:08 PM   #9
bybcous

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by armoredslayer View Post
I had a 2011 2ss automatic, recently traded it up for a 2016 2ss stick. Back when I owned my 2011 I did get to know the GM at the dealership pretty good, had seen the wheels on the 1LE and ZL1, the nice black ones, and wanted them for my car, I worked with the GM and he was able to get them for me for a good price (IMO).

I had bought aftermarket wheels, and ill tell you, in my area, if the shops don't know what they are doing it can turn into hell for you, and it did, I returned them after numerous issues, is why I went with something from the factory, knowing id be paying more, but end result they looked wicked on my 2011.

Years pass, the GM left that dealership, I stop by a closer dealership and spotted a black 2016 2SS, go in and bam, the GM I knew was now at this dealership. Long story short, I traded up my 11 for the 16, kept my black wheels and to be honest it totally made the car, looks sick and couldn't be more happy.

You might pay more for the GM wheels, but IMO and experience you will be much more happy, at least I am.

Havent driven a stick in ages but switching from auto to stick I was nervous but couldn't be more happy I made that move 2, lots of fun. Take care guys and ladies.
Poat a picture of the new ride
Best so far 11.5 at 123 with a 1.83 60ft. BMR lower and upper trailing arms and upper control arms,E85
DELIVERED 12/29/15
http://youtube.com/bybcous " no talking only racing on my youtube"
bybcous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 03:22 PM   #10
armoredslayer

Drives: 2016 Black Camaro 2SS
I was only able to take one shot when I picked it up, started to snow out that night so I tucked it away, next couple days seems like itll be nice so ill pull it out of garage and get some shots of it.
Attached Images

Old 02-04-2016, 09:06 PM   #11
bybcous

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by armoredslayer View Post
I was only able to take one shot when I picked it up, started to snow out that night so I tucked it away, next couple days seems like itll be nice so ill pull it out of garage and get some shots of it.
What size are your tires. Car looks good.
Best so far 11.5 at 123 with a 1.83 60ft. BMR lower and upper trailing arms and upper control arms,E85
DELIVERED 12/29/15
http://youtube.com/bybcous " no talking only racing on my youtube"
bybcous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 09:24 PM   #12
SkipNWis

Drives: 2016/SS Has had 4 Gen 5's
I hated my wheels on my 1LE hard to keep clean and clean :( Plus I thought they were ugly. I went with MRR's <<<
SkipNWis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 08:50 AM   #13
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipNWis View Post
I hated my wheels on my 1LE hard to keep clean and clean :( Plus I thought they were ugly. I went with MRR's <<<
You've posted this like two or three times already, and it has nothing to do with this thread as we have no idea for sure what the 6th gen 1LE wheels will even look like yet.

I don't see how black, open wheels are "hard to keep clean" and you are in the minority that think they are ugly, as they are one of the best selling replica wheels for the 5th gen.
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:13 AM   #14
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUMMIT WHITE SS View Post
You've posted this like two or three times already, and it has nothing to do with this thread as we have no idea for sure what the 6th gen 1LE wheels will even look like yet.

I don't see how black, open wheels are "hard to keep clean" and you are in the minority that think they are ugly, as they are one of the best selling replica wheels for the 5th gen.
A metal/silver wheel with brake dust kinda looks "gunmetal" wheel dirty....brake dust on the stark black 1LE/ZL1 wheels begins to look rust red after a few days. However....they were easy enough to spray and wipe down...

I loved those wheels so much I got two cars with'em!!