Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-10-2012, 08:35 AM   #43
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon2368 View Post
Plus the keys are programmed to the car via the ignition switch from my understanding. Unless the dealership can do it another way.
So unless you could get in the car then you couldn't have programmed a new key anyway.
You need to get in the car to program the fob. You do not need to get in to cut the key which is all you need to open the door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotaman96 View Post
That's what I was going to say. Only issue would have been having to wait a couple of days to get it.
Personally I would be doing this now just in case it happens again.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:25 AM   #44
nightshift

Drives: Victory Red 2011 2SS/RS
Onstar honestly not worth the money. In this case it's ridiculous to subscribe to Onstar just to open your car. The GMPP should be able to facilitate that through Onstar at no charge to you. Onstar is convenient and I liked the nav features and being able to download directions, however it's too expensive.
nightshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:34 AM   #45
upflying

Drives: '86 Monte Carlo SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
My spare is with my folks in Tampa.
I-75, Tampa to Gainesville
132 mi, 2 hours 17 mins
In current traffic: 2 hours 17 mins
Buy your folks dinner when they bring you the spare key.
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:36 AM   #46
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshift View Post
Onstar honestly not worth the money. In this case it's ridiculous to subscribe to Onstar just to open your car. The GMPP should be able to facilitate that through Onstar at no charge to you. Onstar is convenient and I liked the nav features and being able to download directions, however it's too expensive.
Car insurance is expensive too, and you hope you never have to use it but by golly when you need it you are glad you have it. I feel the same about OnStar.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:40 AM   #47
Miraclewhip

Drives: 2012 BLK / IO / 2SS / RS / Vert
umm, while i am a fan of GMPP. Roadside is part of your 5yr / 100 warranty not the GMPP,
Miraclewhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 12:56 PM   #48
NFERNOSS

Drives: Inferno Orange 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshift View Post
GMPP is an extended warranty that covers parts replacement, not an owners mistakes. They offer roadside assistance in case of part failure breakdowns. They have no direct contact with Onstar, and therefore no obligation to provide an extra key at no cost, or even get it open for the customer to retrieve the key. Technically, the tow truck divers were being nice in even attempting to open the car for him, but could be held libal if they broke anything in the process, their only obligation is to get the car to an authorized repair facility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraclewhip View Post
umm, while i am a fan of GMPP. Roadside is part of your 5yr / 100 warranty not the GMPP,
Exactly!
NFERNOSS is offline   Reply With Quote