Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-22-2024, 08:20 PM   #1
rocknroll_jeph

Drives: 11 Camaro V6 RS, 03 BMW Z4
Trunk Release issue, help please!

Hello Camaro experts, I was hoping that someone out there had the same experience and can provide some assistance.

The trunk release has stopped working, but the relay and fuses are all fine. The switches and key fob are functioning property too.

Yesterday I took my car into my friends shop and they tested the components and it seems that there is no power getting to the solenoid, but the solenoid itself should be fine, but with no power its hard to tell.

Also, the light in the trunk stopped working a long time ago, but the other day it started turning on when the trunk lid was closed, I noticed when I had to reach through the back seat to open it up, and now I'm just keeping the seat down and attached an old shoe lace to the emergency release...

The other strange thing is that I get a trunk lid open warning on the dash and this morning there was a theft attempt warning too, which I have never seen before.

As for the trunk issue, has anyone seen this before? Is there an easy fix or am I going to be using an old shoe string for the rest of my life?

Thanks!
rocknroll_jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 06:37 AM   #2
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
When’s last time you changed your battery?

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 06:47 AM   #3
SlowLS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS , 2011 Colorado LS1
Agreed, I'd start with the battery. Maybe check all the grounds.
Old 01-24-2024, 08:02 AM   #4
stickwiggler13

Drives: 2012 2SS Convertible
Thumbs up

Spray around edges of trunk release button with silicone spray.
Exercise button by pushing it multiple times.
Repeat if needed.
stickwiggler13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 08:38 AM   #5
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
I would have to review the wiring diagram, but there is a chance the trunk release is a "module" that is triggered by data transfer and not a 12v switched signal.
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 10:14 PM   #6
rocknroll_jeph

Drives: 11 Camaro V6 RS, 03 BMW Z4
Thanks for the help everyone!

The buttons are working fine, they checked those with a multimeter and when I press them the normal clicks can be heard from the dashboard and the lights do the flash like normal.

The battery is less than a year old, and the car is starting strong even in sub 0 temperatures we have had in the past month. Also I keep my car in the underground parking garage where it doesn't get below freezing, so I think that's not the issue.

The other day I got to my friend's shop just before closing, so I'll take it back to the shop in a few days for a proper diagnosis in a few days. They are afraid that a there's a bad wire somewhere in the harness, but I'd like to have as much information as I can beforehand so they can be efficient in the fix.
rocknroll_jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 04:14 PM   #7
SSFury
My Road Rage is Legendary

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS "Fury"
As silly as it sounds, sometimes its just built up oxidation/rust/dirt/Friction on the hinges that open the trunk. Grab some of your favorite spray oil, and lube up the hinges really well, opening/closing them a few times to work it in. Thats always helped when ive had this issue.