Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 07-22-2011, 09:22 PM   #15
Black Lightning

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
Finish off your wash with a detail spray, I personally use Turtle Wax Ice, works great ...
Exact same here - love the Turtle Ice car wash soap. Meguiars left spots on my car. Tried Adams, but it doesn't work any better than Ice and you have to order and pay shipping on Adams. I also didn't get as much suds with Adams.

Before drying, I spray all over with Adams Detail Spay. Wow, it makes a difference. However, I just realized Turtle Ice has a detail spray. I plan to try that this weekend.

I'm done ordering online, waiting, and then paying shipping on top of all that.

Red hood spears; Corsa cat-back exhaust; Roto-fab intake; Engine bay black/red theme; Black outs including both bowties, tail lights, tail light bezels, and side lamps; gill stripes; 35% window tints; Side SS badges; Hurst-equipped badge.
Black Lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:35 PM   #16
steverc

Drives: 2011 2LT RJT V6 AT
In 40 years, here in Oregon, I've never used anything but cool water. Maybe a little tar remover once in a while. I guess our road dirt isn't greasy. Every one thinks my cars look great. Nobody can believe I never use soap. I think most people use it because they think they should and other people use it so often.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:56 PM   #17
cathesjohn

Drives: Ford
Most of them use mineral spirits, it removes not only dirt but also any oils, grease etc. The benifit of using this is, it does not corrode metals such as aluminum and it evaporates fast. Just be sure not to directley spray or brush into alternators, starters, Fuse boxes etc. Wires will be fine, just let dry. Remember a clean engine is easier to find problems than a dirty one. Almost forgot you can find mineral spirits at almost any parts store.
cathesjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 12:19 AM   #18
Iomcamaro
The enjoyment never ends

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS IOM #25223
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathesjohn View Post
Most of them use mineral spirits, it removes not only dirt but also any oils, grease etc. The benifit of using this is, it does not corrode metals such as aluminum and it evaporates fast. Just be sure not to directley spray or brush into alternators, starters, Fuse boxes etc. Wires will be fine, just let dry. Remember a clean engine is easier to find problems than a dirty one. Almost forgot you can find mineral spirits at almost any parts store.
Spam.
Iomcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 12:31 AM   #19
Tecca

Drives: ...
:bangdesk:
Tecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 10:33 AM   #20
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
As far as OTC products are concerned I'd say Megs Gold Class is your best option.

If you were interested in giving our stuff a whirl we have 3 dealers in Florida who would definitely have it in stock, not sure how close any of them are to you though:

http://www.adamspolishes.com/showdealers.aspx?region=FL
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 11:33 AM   #21
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
Adams is good shit but I use TW Ice. Looks just as good and is OTC!
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 02:06 PM   #22
Big Kid

Drives: 2011 Camaro convertible
I'm having a problem with the final rinse. Our water is so hard and has so much lime in it it always spots. Then you always have to use a detailer to get rid of them. Is there any way I could put cascade or something in a cheapy car wash thingy and use it for a final rinse?
Big Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 03:28 PM   #23
bill2129
Account Suspended

Drives: 2085 Trans AM COBRA
Turtle wax is over rated. All car wash brands seem the same to me. I never noticed a difference in any of them with how the car came out. I just got sick of washing mine so I take it to the self washers for 2bucks. Takes 5mins to wash it maybe 5more to dry it. I got sick of cleaning it in the heat. and it takes 10x longer
bill2129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 04:18 PM   #24
Tecca

Drives: ...
Tecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 05:04 PM   #25
Mark's SS

Drives: 17 Silverado 2500HD LTZ 4x4 Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teccboxx View Post
This!
Mark's SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 07:50 PM   #26
dschribs

Drives: 1968 Camaro Convertible
Two good over the counter car soaps are Meg's Gold Class (which was mentioned) and Megs NXT car wash (smells great). As mentioned - whatever you do - don't use Dawn!!! It will strip whatever wax/sealant you have on your car and leave the paint unprotected. Bird bombs and acid rain will etch right into the paint.

You should be using two buckets - one for washing and one for rinsing.

Make you you follow the directions in terms of dilution ratios. Most any car soap if mixed at a strong enough dilution ration will strip the paint - and that's exactly what you don't want.

Use a good quality waffle weave towel to dry and mist the paint with quick detailer before drying.

Read and learn. One of the best detailers in the country:

http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...-pearl-part-1/

I'm not at all pushing the products they sell as I know Adam's is a sponsor here. Detailing is WAY more about technique than product.
dschribs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 05:39 AM   #27
cruznls
cruznls

Drives: 2010 CAMARO
Wink

How about using a Water Blade for removing water before it spots...
cruznls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 07:28 AM   #28
Mark's SS

Drives: 17 Silverado 2500HD LTZ 4x4 Duramax
Water Blade

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruznls View Post
How about using a Water Blade for removing water before it spots...
Check out this thread.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ht=water+blade
Mark's SS is offline   Reply With Quote