Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Northwest / Pacific Northwest

Old 01-25-2011, 03:12 PM   #1
sleddog

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS A6 Black
Alaskans are seeing the sun again

Hey guys the sun is coming up over the moutians more each day, time to get the sunglassess out again.

I've not been seeing very many of you guys out and about. I keep seeing the red one at the glass repair shop in North Pole and I passed a really pretty black SS the other day coming out of Fairbanks towards North Pole.

I know you guys are on here lurking, but I don't see any posts anymore from the Alaska guys.

Sled

Last edited by sleddog; 01-25-2011 at 07:10 PM.
sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 03:15 PM   #2
MrGazinya

Drives: Aggressive
Man, I don't know how you guy's do it
I just heard on my local news you guy's lost a teen to exposure, walking home in 50 below with 70 mph winds.. That's crazy cold
Black 2SS RS LS3 Inferno Int. '17 1LE replica 20's {MODS} KOOKS LT: Borla S-Type: Roto-Fab CAI: Hurst ST.: PFADT Stage 2, Trailing arms, Tie Rods: ECS BigBlower Cam: Fast 102mm intake: Brian Tooley racing dual spring kit: TFS pushrod set: Katech C5R timing chain: Mellings high volume oil pump: ATI Balancer: Ideal performance upgraded clutch master cylinder:Tick performance upgraded slave cylinder/throwout bearing: Mantic 9000 twin disk clutch & light weight flywheel: Tuned by Doug Ring at ECS. 475RWHP/445RWTQ.Dynapack Dyno.

MrGazinya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 05:57 PM   #3
KEEP RT
Wonderfully Awful Idea

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
I was in F.B. 2 weeks ago and it was -16. Not too bad for F.B but the ice never leaves the road at those temps. I was smart enough too keep the rental plugged in over night. I didn't have to go far though, from Sophie's station to Fred Meyers and back to the airport. The shocks felt froze though the Corolla felt like a tractor. I'll be back allot this year. hope to meet up. (unfortunately not in my car).
Old 01-25-2011, 07:01 PM   #4
sleddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGazinya View Post
I just heard on my local news you guy's lost a teen to exposure, walking home in 50 below with 70 mph winds.. That's crazy cold
Minus 50 and 70 mph winds to rough for me. I feel so sorry for the family that lost their boy that way. I can tell ya he didn't go quik the cold and wind feels like your being burned and cut at the same time.

Once it's minus 20 it takes longer to get the dogs boots and coat on and then my gear then most of the walks take.
It's bad when you hear your self saying to someone, WOW it warmed up to minus 20 today LOL
Old 01-25-2011, 07:05 PM   #5
sleddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEEP RT View Post
I was in F.B. 2 weeks ago and it was -16. Not too bad for F.B but the ice never leaves the road at those temps. I was smart enough too keep the rental plugged in over night. I didn't have to go far though, from Sophie's station to Fred Meyers and back to the airport. The shocks felt froze though the Corolla felt like a tractor. I'll be back allot this year. hope to meet up. (unfortunately not in my car).
So you deal with what we call old fred's (by the air port) It would be nice to meet up someday. I only get up that way about once or twice a month for a grub run. I live about 100 south east of fairbanks. But you never know we maybe in town at the same time and I'll buy ya a cup of coffee.

Sled
Old 01-25-2011, 07:18 PM   #6
Alaskan SS

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS w/ M6, sunroof
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGazinya View Post
Tragic loss for that family. I saw that story. I can't help but think there was a mistake on the reported temperatures, though. -50 and 70 mph winds would put the wind chill in the neighborhood of -110 F. Although this is possible in AK, i don't think these kinds of temps have been recorded here in a long time. A few years anyway. I think the wind chill temp was -50. I could be wrong, but i just don't know.

Either way, a very tragic situation.
Alaskan SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:22 PM   #7
Alaskan SS

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS w/ M6, sunroof
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
I know you guys are on here lurking, but I don't see any posts anymore from the Alaska guys.

Sled

Funny you should say that, sled... I've posted more in the last 2 or 3 days than i ever have over a 2-3 day period. You're right about the sun, though. It's nice to see it...

Alaskan SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:06 PM   #8
ColdCamaroSS

Drives: 1
Hey sleddog,

The guy who owns the IOM is pretty cool. He has blizzaks and been driving it all winter. Quite a few driving around on Eielson too. Although quite a few have some type of body damage.

Good call on the sunshine!! Only a few more months till breakup!!!!
ColdCamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:21 PM   #9
KEEP RT
Wonderfully Awful Idea

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
So you deal with what we call old fred's (by the air port) It would be nice to meet up someday. I only get up that way about once or twice a month for a grub run. I live about 100 south east of fairbanks. But you never know we maybe in town at the same time and I'll buy ya a cup of coffee.

Sled
Yeh I work on the Freddy's from Brookings, OR to F.B., AK. I'll be up a lot this summer during the finish of the remodel. I'll drop a post on the next visit.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:06 PM   #10
sleddog

Alright I was hoping to get a few to answer the IOM is always parked there so I figured they were driving everyday. Blizzacks are a good tire, thats what we are running on ours. Still no dings or body damage. We have ours parked most the time and use the truck.

I did get it out a few weeks ago when the wife blew the transfer case on her truck while attemtping to plow a heavy snow difted road. It was nice to drive it up to fairbanks and back, the wife was nervus

Anyway good to see you guys on here again, I'm a lurker most the time, LOL
Old 01-26-2011, 02:12 PM   #11
sleddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCamaroSS View Post
Hey sleddog,

The guy who owns the IOM is pretty cool. He has blizzaks and been driving it all winter. Quite a few driving around on Eielson too. Although quite a few have some type of body damage.

Good call on the sunshine!! Only a few more months till breakup!!!!

I want to meet up with you one of these days and check out your car, your list of mods sound interesting to me.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:14 PM   #12
S-eatin-grin

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS AGM
I lived up there around Fairbanks in 2008-2009 and loved it! Been trying to talk my wife into moving there but have been withholding the stories about -55 degrees, frozen seats, frozen flat spots on your wheels at -35 or colder and leaving the car running at Wal-Mart while you shop so that it will still start when you come back out...still, great place and the summers are better than anywhere else in world!
S-eatin-grin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 04:29 PM   #13
ColdCamaroSS

Drives: 1
Quote:
I want to meet up with you one of these days and check out your car, your list of mods sound interesting to me.
No problem, perhaps a meet and greet with some of the other owners. AlaskaZ06 has a killer car.
ColdCamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:44 AM   #14
sleddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCamaroSS View Post
No problem, perhaps a meet and greet with some of the other owners. AlaskaZ06 has a killer car.
That would be cool I'll be looking forward to it.