Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 06-21-2020, 08:29 PM   #1
TWOFORTYZ

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS 6M
Low effort clutch for SS?

Due to a knee injury that isn't improving, I either need to sell my camaro or find a clutch with much lower pedal pressure.

The Mcleod RST seems to have good reviews, BUT is there anything with an even softer pedal pressure? I don't care much about cost, I'd lose about 8k or worse trading in. I'm willing to pay for a custom triple disc if they are available. The clutch just needs to perform as well or better than stock, grab low/near the floor, and have less pedal pressure.

The car is a 2015 SS, no modifications, it's just a fun commuter that sees some street racing and drifting. Currently at 62k miles on the stock clutch, no issues or complains other than my knee pain. Well, and the hydraulics are trash compared to Nissan, but thats a different story.
Old 06-21-2020, 08:31 PM   #2
TWOFORTYZ

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=574471

And yes, I read this and many other similar threads. The problem is, not many people desire a softer clutch, the factory one is quite soft. I guess my two concerns are: pedal pressure, and travel. Reducing both would be ideal.

Thank you in advance, I know this is "mostly covered" but not for my exact needs.
Old 06-22-2020, 07:59 AM   #3
Stingr69
'69 Owned Since '79

Drives: '69 Z/28 LeMans Blue w/White
If you do find a "softer clutch" you will have to buy it, install it and then HOPE it works out. How much will it cost you to roll the dice??? You might not be happy with the new clutch. Now you are much more in the hole.

There might be some loss trading your car for an automatic but what you loose on the trade in will be partially offset by not paying for this new clutch....that may, or may not even work out.

I would suggest just cut your losses and get a nicer one with the paddles.
Stingr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 08:53 AM   #4
fz4k98

Drives: 2013 1ss
Have you tried finding good physical therapy for range of motion and strength? Over the years I have had great results with getting a proper stretching and exercise routine for knee issues.

Like most things it depends on finding the right therapist.
fz4k98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 10:48 AM   #5
TWOFORTYZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by fz4k98 View Post
Have you tried finding good physical therapy for range of motion and strength? Over the years I have had great results with getting a proper stretching and exercise routine for knee issues.

Like most things it depends on finding the right therapist.

I have excellent range of motion and strength, I walk up to 15 miles per day at work, including lots of stairs. The cartiledge is worn thin and my knee cap tracks poorly. 🤢

The problem is, I love the manual and wouldnt have much fun in an automatic. I guess option 3 is buying a commuter, but that's the camaro's job.

I can and will do all of the labor myself, it's a pretty easy job. But you're right, spending $1400-2500 on a clutch that doesnt work out won't save me any money, not to mention the resale value loss if the car is modified at all. I know I'd assume it's been beaten.
Old 06-22-2020, 11:04 AM   #6
608RS

Drives: 2015 2ss
i have the RST clutch, the pedal is almost lighter than the OEM clutch. but that was until i put in the Tick Performance Master Cylinder to resolve my clutch pedal sometimes sinking to the floor.

2015 Camaro 2ss, NicKey Performance built/tuned
608RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 11:50 AM   #7
larry_g

Drives: 2014 1SS/1LE
Have you removed the "helper" spring at the top of the clutch pedal?
830 WHP 700 WTQ, Whipple 2.9 @ 13lbs Boost, Flex Fuel Tune by Blevins Tuning, LSA SBE, 3.5 GripTec, ATI LS3 Damper, AFR 260cc Mongoose, ARP Studs, Yella Terra Ultralites, Johnson 2110R, BTR PDS Stage 3, Melling 10355, Improved Racing Baffle, ID1050X, DSX Triple Fuel Pump, RotoFab CAI, NW 103mm TB, Stainless Works 1-7/8" LTH to 3" Speed Eng w/ X-pipe to NPP, Powermaster 9509 XS, Detroit Speed Motor Mounts, MGW, Monster LT1-S, ZL1 Calipers, DBA Rotors & Pads, Bilstein B6 Struts & Shocks, BMR 1.25" Drop Springs & Adj Rear Bar, Pegasus Solid Bushings, Z/28 Wheels, other misc parts.
larry_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 01:34 PM   #8
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
If you can get your hands on an Ideal Garage modified clutch master cylinder you might really like that. They pop up once and a while used, unfortunately they are no longer in production. It's a stock master that's been bored and ported to flow more volume. Made my clutch pedal very high and fully actuate the clutch in less than half the pedal throw. I recommend using a pedal stop, as you have the potential to over-travel the clutch which it won't like. I'm not sure, but I ran mine for the last 4 years without a pedal stop and have chewed up two throw out bearings, the second one having the billet support. I'm finally adding the clutch stop, and going to a Tilton master - enough is enough. One of those with a nice triple disc would be very light, and very little travel.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 05:11 PM   #9
TWOFORTYZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_g View Post
Have you removed the "helper" spring at the top of the clutch pedal?
I haven't, does it seem to help reduce pedal effort? I guess half of my issue is the LONG non adjustable pedal travel, on my other car (240z) the clutch pedal is adjusted 1/2-2/3 as high as stock and still works well. If I can get it to be fuctional with a low pedal, and just burnout my ankle instead of the knee, I could probably get a lot more miles out of this.
Old 06-22-2020, 08:19 PM   #10
larry_g

Drives: 2014 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWOFORTYZ View Post
I haven't, does it seem to help reduce pedal effort? I guess half of my issue is the LONG non adjustable pedal travel, on my other car (240z) the clutch pedal is adjusted 1/2-2/3 as high as stock and still works well. If I can get it to be fuctional with a low pedal, and just burnout my ankle instead of the knee, I could probably get a lot more miles out of this.
Removing the spring won't help with pedal travel but it will have less resistance and smoother action.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
830 WHP 700 WTQ, Whipple 2.9 @ 13lbs Boost, Flex Fuel Tune by Blevins Tuning, LSA SBE, 3.5 GripTec, ATI LS3 Damper, AFR 260cc Mongoose, ARP Studs, Yella Terra Ultralites, Johnson 2110R, BTR PDS Stage 3, Melling 10355, Improved Racing Baffle, ID1050X, DSX Triple Fuel Pump, RotoFab CAI, NW 103mm TB, Stainless Works 1-7/8" LTH to 3" Speed Eng w/ X-pipe to NPP, Powermaster 9509 XS, Detroit Speed Motor Mounts, MGW, Monster LT1-S, ZL1 Calipers, DBA Rotors & Pads, Bilstein B6 Struts & Shocks, BMR 1.25" Drop Springs & Adj Rear Bar, Pegasus Solid Bushings, Z/28 Wheels, other misc parts.
larry_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 10:11 PM   #11
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Sparkly Red One
2009-2010 ZR1 clutch.
Vegas Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 10:46 PM   #12
oldman14ss

Drives: 2014 1ss camaro
not being a smart ass when I say this, because I did it. I was having knee problems for years. I got a total knee replacement. one of the best things I ever did. no more pain and the clutch feels fine.
oldman14ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 10:19 AM   #13
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Sparkly Red One
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman14ss View Post
not being a smart ass when I say this, because I did it. I was having knee problems for years. I got a total knee replacement. one of the best things I ever did. no more pain and the clutch feels fine.

I blew out my knee back in the 80s. I have had it cobbled back together twice. Both surgeons said they wouldn't do the replacement surgery until I was in my 60s. Average replacements have to be redone every 10-15 years. My first surgery lasted 23 years and I'm at 14 on the second one.

For reference, list of damage done to my knee. Broke femur, tibia, fibula and patella, severed the PCL, ACL, MCL and LCL ligaments, tore both meniscus cups (original surgeon scooped them out with a spoon). Damage result of 10cm posterior dislocation with 180° rotation. ER doctors were drawing a dotted line just above my knee where they were planning on amputating my leg. Good thing my family doctor was a very well known doctor in the area and the team doctor for the CA Angels. And he knew the primary knee surgeon at Kerlan-Jobe Orthopedic Clinic in LA. My reconstructive surgery took 7.5 hours and 2 years of rehabilitation before I could walk without assistance.

What I am saying is knee replacement isn't always the answer.
Vegas Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 05:24 PM   #14
TWOFORTYZ

I'll be 31 next month, I've got a long way to go before knee surgery, I am just trying to buy time for now...