Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-29-2016, 01:40 PM   #1
mkorgan

Drives: 1970-1/2 Z-28, 2017 ZL1
Rear Axles and other odd's and ends...

May be too early to know but I was wondering if we have any confirmation on whether the ZL1 is the Gen6 will have the same upgrade in the rear axles and differential as the Gen5 ZL1? I ask because I have known of two Gen5 SS cars with significant mod's that had to replace rear differential components and axels after a few months of hard launches at the strip. On the other hand, I have more power than they do and launch just as hard with zero issues over the same timeframe. We have all just contributed that to the stronger components in the rear drive train of the ZL1. What do you think or what have you heard? I am buying the Gen6 as soon as I can get my hands on one but I may decide to keep my Gen5 just for this reason as I am concerned about durability of the drive train if carried over from the less powerful models (which I truly appreciate so please don't get on me about it).
mkorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 03:41 PM   #2
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
The same people are engineering and designing the car as did the 5th generation.

I expect that with stickier tires and more power, they will appropriately beef up the drivetrain to handle it. But, other than that, there's been no detailed information released, yet.
Old 05-15-2016, 07:11 AM   #3
Hypertrophy

Drives: truck
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
The same people are engineering and designing the car as did the 5th generation.

I expect that with stickier tires and more power, they will appropriately beef up the drivetrain to handle it. But, other than that, there's been no detailed information released, yet.
Hey Mr. W. Now that the playbook is out, any word on drivetrain upgrades on the ZL1?
Hypertrophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 12:08 PM   #4
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
I'm not sure any rear end drivetrain components would necessarily need to be upgraded.

The 5th gen ZL1 rear ends are fairly bullet proof for the most part. Many people have raised their HP to high levels and have no issues with the rear end or axles. They're pretty stout as is.

keep in mind that the 5th gen ZL1 rear end and axles are very different that what came in a 5th gen SS.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 01:45 PM   #5
mkorgan

Drives: 1970-1/2 Z-28, 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
I'm not sure any rear end drivetrain components would necessarily need to be upgraded.

The 5th gen ZL1 rear ends are fairly bullet proof for the most part. Many people have raised their HP to high levels and have no issues with the rear end or axles. They're pretty stout as is.

keep in mind that the 5th gen ZL1 rear end and axles are very different that what came in a 5th gen SS.
Just so I am clear on my original post, I was wondering if we had confirmation that the axles would be upgraded from the SS in the Gen6 as it was in the Gen5. I have Gen5 ZL1 pushing about 800RWHP on stock axles and have beat the hell out of them with zero issue. I have a buddy who has a Gen5 SS running just about the same HP as I am and had to replace axles after his second trip to the track so I am hopeful they take the same approach with the Gen6 as they did with the Gen5.
mkorgan is offline   Reply With Quote