Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-20-2011, 10:58 AM   #1
supersport24

Drives: Black 2011 2ss
Dashboard ABL?

I just got my camaro a couple months ago and one of my favorite qualities of the interior is the blue light bars that light up the panels in the door. While in it the other day, I wondered if the small panel that runs across the dash is supposed to be lit up as well? I've never been in another camaro so I was just checking if this is normal or if my panel in the dash isn't lit up? Hopefully i didn't confuse anyone with this beat-around-the-bush question
supersport24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:01 AM   #2
My 5th

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 Black on Black
Do a search for "ABL" You'll see threads about DIY projects to add the light strips to the dash panels.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:08 AM   #3
cab2g
love. my. car.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
It is not supposed to be lit up in the production version Camaros. GM deemed it as "too distracting" But as the previous poster said, you can add it yourself and make it look pretty nice.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:22 AM   #4
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Drives: '03 ZR2 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by cab2g View Post
It is not supposed to be lit up in the production version Camaros. GM deemed it as "too distracting"...
Was that the actual reason why they didn't put the lighting on the dash? I always thought it interfered with the passenger dash airbag or something on the dash that made it an impossibility for production?
Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:57 PM   #5
Gene Culley
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 SS
Smile

Here is the link to the ABL install thread that 2SS/RS has done. It is a great thread!

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40804
Gene Culley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:23 PM   #6
cab2g
love. my. car.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zabo View Post
Was that the actual reason why they didn't put the lighting on the dash? I always thought it interfered with the passenger dash airbag or something on the dash that made it an impossibility for production?
Well I guess since I don't have a source, It's a rumor at this point. But I could've sworn there was a thread about it with an official answer.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:39 PM   #7
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cab2g View Post
Well I guess since I don't have a source, It's a rumor at this point. But I could've sworn there was a thread about it with an official answer.
People working on the car before production said that there were problems making it light up evenly and look right. If you dismantle the door panels you can see the way they put the light pipes above the bevelled edge internal to the clear panel and this causes the bevel to illuminate by the glow coming in from the top edge of the clear panel up inside the door.

If you take the dashboard clear panels off, you can see there's no channel above the clear trim pieces and no bevel to catch light coming from the edge into the clear plastic piece. The only way to get light out of the dash is to sand off the silver paint on the back of the clear parts and put the light pipe behind that. This results in uneven lighting and it really doesn't look the same as the light in the doors.

I think from this we can conclude that the dash lights were not working well enough or looked shoddy and the cost to remake the dashboard molding and trim pieces was considered too much, so they deleted the dashboard lighting and then made up some cover stories like "too distracting" (which is one of the most humorous explanations given that GM models made before and after the Camaro continue to have dash lighting and gigantic LCD screens on the dash that are not deemed "distracting").
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote