Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 07-19-2014, 03:56 AM   #29
MightymouseSS

Drives: 2011 LS3
I just swapped my tranny fluid today to amsoil atf and ran her at the strip. Since my cam 2nd grind was horrible with the extra power. With the amsoil it only slighty grinded 2nd on one pass tonight. Before it would grind everytime and on a few passes it wouldn't even go into 2nd gear. It didn't completely cure the issue as I hoped but it did make a difference.
SLP loudmouth 2
Nightfury Cam
Mike Norris CC
Tuned by Southwest Speed
MightymouseSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 04:06 PM   #30
Andy-AMSOIL

Drives: bicycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightymouseSS View Post
I just swapped my tranny fluid today to amsoil atf and ran her at the strip. Since my cam 2nd grind was horrible with the extra power. With the amsoil it only slighty grinded 2nd on one pass tonight. Before it would grind everytime and on a few passes it wouldn't even go into 2nd gear. It didn't completely cure the issue as I hoped but it did make a difference.
Good to hear AMSOIL did help you issue,,
Andy-AMSOIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:44 AM   #31
slvr5thgen

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
I swapped my fluid to redline d4 cause of everyone's success but it still feels really notchy when cold and hot idk if my tranny is just that bad but it takes the joy OUT of driving the car. I have tried m1,stock with one quart of syncromesh, and redline d4 nothing seems to work
slvr5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 11:29 AM   #32
Destructo09

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by slvr5thgen View Post
I swapped my fluid to redline d4 cause of everyone's success but it still feels really notchy when cold and hot idk if my tranny is just that bad but it takes the joy OUT of driving the car. I have tried m1,stock with one quart of syncromesh, and redline d4 nothing seems to work
This transmission always feels notchy, mine sometimes is pretty smooth but not consistently.

Even my buddy who bought a brand new 2013 complained about it.

Mine sometimes will grind 2nd or 3rd during high rpm shifts as well.

If I keep the car long term i'm going to have the transmission rebuilt by Tick Performance.
1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Hurst Billet short shifter
Square tire/wheel setup
Elite Engineering Catch Can
Stainless Power longtubes/highflow cats
K&N Typhoon CAI
RPM Motorsports of Garner, NC dyno tune (421 RWHP)
Destructo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 11:42 AM   #33
slvr5thgen

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructo09 View Post
This transmission always feels notchy, mine sometimes is pretty smooth but not consistently.

Even my buddy who bought a brand new 2013 complained about it.

Mine sometimes will grind 2nd or 3rd during high rpm shifts as well.

If I keep the car long term i'm going to have the transmission rebuilt by Tick Performance.
Ok thanks I guess I'll just learn to live with it. It's not as bad warmed up as cold, I wish they would have kept the t56 my old camaro felt great
slvr5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 06:16 PM   #34
BlackIce1066
Black Ice

Drives: 2SS/RS Black w/ silver ice stripes
Looking to change mine soon. Where are the drain and refill plugs?
Old 01-08-2016, 12:13 PM   #35
Andy-AMSOIL

Drives: bicycle
Get some premium synthetic in that 6060 for best performance
Andy-AMSOIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 12:27 PM   #36
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLTZKRG View Post
Looking to do the redline d4 in near future. Seems to be the fluid that makes the most difference from all the threads ive read. Always used royal purple in transmissions in the past, redline in rear amd amsoil in the engine....Still in break-in period. Almost 300mi. On the clock.
I have Redline D4 in my transmission, seems to buckle under pressure when the heat sets in at the track. Looking at Amsoil or Motul offerings.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 01:08 PM   #37
dreksnot
Served USN - Atomic Chimp

Drives: 13 Camaro LSX434 TT M6, 21 ZLE A10
Redline D4 here. No improvement for 2nd gear grind when cold.

In excess of 1,000WHP
LSX434 | AGP 65/65 TT | BTR Equalizer Intake | Trickflow 245cc cathedral | BTR custom cam | Cortex EBC | n2mb WOT | ID-1700x | Brisk GR12S | RPM Lv 7 TR6060 | AGP's Triple 525LPH Fore Fuel | Monster LT1-S Triple | 4.11 DSS Proform 9", CF driveshaft, 1400hp axles | Hurst Line Lock | MGW Retro Short Throw w/old skool Hurst T-handle | ADM solid subframe mounts | Prothane Motor Mounts | Revshift Poly Trans insert | Moreno camber/caster plates
dreksnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 01:12 PM   #38
mar10

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackIce1066 View Post
Looking to change mine soon. Where are the drain and refill plugs?
The fill hole is on the upper drivers side of the transmission i think it's kind of in the middle can't remember for sure where it's at in regards to front or back. It looks like the back side of a socket you can't miss it. The drain is relatively in the same spot in regards to front and rear but is on the lower passenger side of the transmission. It looks the same as the fill plug.

Do yourself a favor before pulling the drain plug take the fill plug out. The fluid will drain much smoother and be easier to catch in the drain pan. The fill hole for the differential is on the front drivers side of the diff in front of the output. I can't remember if the diff drain is on the passenger side or the rear. But it's easy to find.
Stainless Power Longtube headers, off road mids, stock H pipe, flowmaster mufflers, Vararam tune model intake, NightFury cam, and 91 octane email tune from Dynosteve @ rdpmotorsport.com. 473 rwhp and 430 ft. Lbs. @3,235 ft elevation.
mar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 08:12 AM   #39
bikerdan
BLOWNSS

Drives: 2011 SUPERCHARGED Camero SS
I tried MOB1 and then Royal Purple syncromax. RP shifts better when fully warmed up- but far worse when cold. 2nd and third gear nearly impossible without grinding, especially if shifting slow and easy. Almost gotta speed shift to get it in gear. Thinking of changing back to Mob1. Have not tried Red Line yet.
2011 LS3 SS/RS, M6, Maggie TVS2300 - cog drive, CAI, ZL1 fuel pump, Autometer gages, BEHE Performance tune , boost and AFR gages, MGW shifter, SLP long tube headers with high flow cats, Flowmaster Pro ex., Pfadt trailing arms, toe rods & bushings, G-Force axles, American Racing wheels, 305 mm P zero on rear, Elite catch can, SLP hood, amp & sub.
bikerdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 02:39 PM   #40
nxttruck2002

Drives: Camaro
switched to amsoil torque drive and so far so good
nxttruck2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 06:57 AM   #41
kingbow

Drives: 2010 Camaro
So what is the situation with the drain/fill plug? As in is it correct to use that to drain?

Last edited by kingbow; 03-09-2016 at 10:57 AM.
kingbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 03:22 PM   #42
ChristianLS3

Drives: 10' Camaro 2ss
I just did the tranny fluid change with 56k miles with some Mobil 1 synthetic ATF from my local Advanced Auto parts since I had a $20 coupon. Just jacked the car up with the driver's side jack stand a little higher than the passengers to drain out the extra oil in the pan. Filled it up with a hose running from the top engine bay to the fill plug. I immediately noticed a difference just putting it into 1st gear. I thought it was all in my head till I drove the car a couple of blocks and noticed gear shifting was way smoother. It doesn't feel anywhere near us rough anymore. I'd definitely like to try out the Redline D4 ATF next time.