Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 08-16-2022, 03:17 PM   #1
Scotty D

Drives: 2014 1le 1SS CRMT
Monster triple disc

OK ,here is my dilemma not sure if I’m doing this right my first clutch mind you. So I installed a Monster triple disc installed in my car all torqued and everything trying to take measurements from the rear of the engine block to the fingers on the pressure plate . But the fingers on the pressure plate seem to be lower back then the top of the pressure plate?? If that makes sense???
Does this seem right . I also use the green shim for the slave that came with the clutch. I did the pilot bearing and also the rear main seal all went in without a hitch !! PLEASE any advice would help ???
Really don’t want to mess it up & have to pull this all apart again?!?!
Mind you I’m doing this in my driveway on my back fun times !!!!

Last edited by Scotty D; 08-16-2022 at 04:07 PM.
Scotty D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 07:04 PM   #2
fz4k98

Drives: 2013 1ss
Not sure about your system but my spec clutch had the same condition. I measured block to pressure plate and then subtracted pressure plate to fingers measurement.
fz4k98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 07:52 PM   #3
Scotty D

Quote:
Originally Posted by fz4k98 View Post
Not sure about your system but my spec clutch had the same condition. I measured block to pressure plate and then subtracted pressure plate to fingers measurement.
Thinking that’s what I’m going to need to do
Thanks
Old 08-16-2022, 09:17 PM   #4
dma05

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
I have the same clutch and yes it’s hard to measure. I even called Monster and they helped with the difference in measurement from the fingers to cover. If your measurements are close, you will be fine.

I love the clutch! Be sure to break it in properly per the instructions.
Old 08-17-2022, 06:50 AM   #5
FasNuf

Drives: 2014 Camaro ZL1
What slave cylinder are you using? You'll want to know the throw length. If it's stock 5th gen, then it should be around 1.050". The throwout bearing will have a preload onto those fingers of say around .900". That leaves about .150" for the fingers to extend out as the clutch wears. You may not need the shim, but it depends on your finger height and it can possibly hurt in the long run if there isn't enough room for wear. These measurements are just an example, yours will probably be different.

Go to RAM Clutches website, they have a good explanation. As far as measuring from the block to the fingers, use an old bearing and measure its thickness, then use it to get enough height off the fingers to measure. After taking the measurement, subtract the bearing thickness. You can also do it like ram says, but it requires the flywheel to be off the engine.

Also I saw a video of a guy who used angle iron and cut reliefs for the pressure plate so the angle only touched the fingers. ( see links ) I dont agree with his air gap theory because our slave has preload but i wanted you to see his angle iron idea.

Here's RAM's info for reference. Hope this helps.

https://d1ai84il7jjg74.cloudfront.ne...764.1660267171

https://youtu.be/_tV9kWqJIqM

Last edited by FasNuf; 08-17-2022 at 07:02 AM.
FasNuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 08:02 AM   #6
Scotty D

Quote:
Originally Posted by FasNuf View Post
What slave cylinder are you using? You'll want to know the throw length. If it's stock 5th gen, then it should be around 1.050". The throwout bearing will have a preload onto those fingers of say around .900". That leaves about .150" for the fingers to extend out as the clutch wears. You may not need the shim, but it depends on your finger height and it can possibly hurt in the long run if there isn't enough room for wear. These measurements are just an example, yours will probably be different.

Go to RAM Clutches website, they have a good explanation. As far as measuring from the block to the fingers, use an old bearing and measure its thickness, then use it to get enough height off the fingers to measure. After taking the measurement, subtract the bearing thickness. You can also do it like ram says, but it requires the flywheel to be off the engine.

Also I saw a video of a guy who used angle iron and cut reliefs for the pressure plate so the angle only touched the fingers. ( see links ) I dont agree with his air gap theory because our slave has preload but i wanted you to see his angle iron idea.

Here's RAM's info for reference. Hope this helps.

https://youtu.be/_tV9kWqJIqM

Monster ships a slave with their unit and a green shim that they recommend be used
That last video is great I’m going to grab a piece of angle Iron and do what he did that was awesome
Thanks again bud
Old 08-23-2022, 09:11 PM   #7
BlackIce1066
Black Ice

Drives: 2SS/RS Black w/ silver ice stripes
I just installed this same clutch on my 2010. First of all, I love it. Still doing the break in period and is does make you relearn on how to drive. Its very sensitive but very smooth.

First: Yes, use the green spacer for the throw out bearing/slave cylinder. Also, did you upgrade to the aluminum bearing sleeve? Defiantly worth it.

Second: Yes, the fingers are a little lower than the surface of the pressure plate housing. I used a small piece of metal plate and put it on the forks and put my straight edge on it them subtracted the thickness of that plate from my measurement.