Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-29-2014, 10:15 AM   #211
shrinkdoc

Drives: SRT Yugo GT Super Sport with Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr02Z/28 View Post
You can't even make a statement without the "thread police" breathing down your neck ..... Last I checked we still lived in the good old USA ..... lol
shrinkdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 10:17 AM   #212
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Is this from the same source that fed you this?

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=350139
Old 06-29-2014, 10:44 AM   #213
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr02Z/28 View Post
You can't even make a statement without the "thread police" breathing down your neck ..... Last I checked we still lived in the good old USA ..... lol
Apparently you haven't been following how Mr. O is transforming the USA. If you don't agree with them you are shouted down or called a flat earthier or denier. Uses the IRS to intimidate or shutdown opposition and then burns the evidence in defiance of the law. Free press is a joke as it is the propoganda wing of the Democratic party. I'm glad I don't have children

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 10:44 AM   #214
shrinkdoc

Drives: SRT Yugo GT Super Sport with Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obzen View Post
That would be odd considering Al Oppenheiser said himself there would be no 4 cylinder.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=329009

Well maybe Mary Berra had Al over for dinner and convinced him differently.
shrinkdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 12:41 PM   #215
911medic

Drives: 2012 SIM 2LT/1970 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlapZL1 View Post
Apparently you haven't been following how Mr. O is transforming the USA. If you don't agree with them you are shouted down or called a flat earthier or denier. Uses the IRS to intimidate or shutdown opposition and then burns the evidence in defiance of the law. Free press is a joke as it is the propoganda wing of the Democratic party. I'm glad I don't have children
Yes, complaints about off-topic posts in this thread are clearly Obama's fault. Thanks for bringing this to everyone's attention.
Wishlist: ACS T5 Splitter -- Hood Vent Mod -- Footwell/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting
911medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 01:03 PM   #216
hotlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911medic View Post
Yes, complaints about off-topic posts in this thread are clearly Obama's fault. Thanks for bringing this to everyone's attention.
No. Sorry. Just a general observation regarding a posters comment regarding freedom of speech and the USA. My bad.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
Old 06-29-2014, 01:16 PM   #217
Burnin' Rubber

Drives: Domestic
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
That's not true at all. You have millions in R&D dollars per platform. You have to engineer an entire new driveline. It doesn't matter that the chassis already exists and accepts those engines. You have a totally different configuration and everything has to be custom-sized and mounted. You're also going to need to design and tune a whole different suspension setup. Then there is the liability of adding a 4 cylinder to a line of carbs that have never had a 4 cylinder motor. The V6's and V8's are known sellers, and the I-4's will have to be subsidized through then. Expect the V6 and V8 costs to increase in order to pay for the I-4's debut.

The cheapest way to make the Camaro is to make one car with no options. Want a cheap Camaro? Every single Camaro is a black 2SS with a manual transmission. Prices would fall, or GM could sell them for the same price but at a much higher margin. This is why Ford initially only made black cars - just the availability of the options costs money because you have all that R&D into something that may or may not even sell.
This is what I was thinking to keep the costs down. Although the Chevrolet SS sedan follows that formula with few options but it is still quite costly.

I'm not an automotive engineer, but if you take a vehicle with a given amount of mass and decide to put in smaller and smaller engines, it stands to reason those smaller engines have to work harder to get that mass moving.

What is the benefit in utilizing a 4-cylinder engine that has to rev twice as frequently as an 8-cylinder engine? I am sure there are multiple variables to consider such as rotational mass, but four pistons pumping twice as often as eight pistons will pretty much even out in terms of fuel consumption in my estimation.

Engines should not be made to work that hard. Focus on making powertrains more fuel efficient without removing cylinders. Smaller displacement and forced induction adds complexity and stress on your powertrain which is not ideal for longevity.

The recipe for a Camaro or any muscle car should be affordable V8 RWD power as a starting point for your design. Begin with V8 and RWD under $30k as your goal. Every other option that adds cost does not matter. Ordering two extra cylinders and a rear-wheel driveshaft should not increase the cost of a vehicle by 50% to 100% of the base price as it does now.
Burnin' Rubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 01:36 PM   #218
hotlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnin' Rubber View Post
Ordering two extra cylinders and a rear-wheel driveshaft should not increase the cost of a vehicle by 50% to 100% of the base price as it does now.
Two additional cylinders translates to a 25% power increase (103 HP) in the current Camaro. Bigger transmission, rear axle, brakes, tires, rims, cooling, starter. Your getting a lot more car

Ronald Reagan -
Old 06-29-2014, 03:03 PM   #219
SEVEN-OH JOE
Account Suspended

Drives: some to distraction
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlapZL1 View Post
No. Sorry. Just a general observation regarding a posters comment regarding freedom of speech and the USA. My bad.
NOT nearly as bad as mustang6g...it's now PILL-APPROVED, which tells volumes.

Back to an earlier question about BIGGER:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=365811
SEVEN-OH JOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 03:04 PM   #220
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Oh lord. I remember thePill.
Old 06-29-2014, 04:16 PM   #221
2LS14

Drives: 2014 2LS
Can the LFX engine get 400 hp like the LGX ? I'm asking because I'd like to keep my LFX as long as possible and still be competitive.
2LS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 04:35 PM   #222
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LS14 View Post
Can the LFX engine get 400 hp like the LGX ? I'm asking because I'd like to keep my LFX as long as possible and still be competitive.
Shrinkdoc is known for drive by postings. He's a troll. He has no real information. He is willing to post anything to see if anyone is gullible enough to repeat what he says.

There are no publicly available specifications about the LGX, especially the HP.
Old 06-29-2014, 05:20 PM   #223
2LS14

Drives: 2014 2LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
Shrinkdoc is known for drive by postings. He's a troll. He has no real information. He is willing to post anything to see if anyone is gullible enough to repeat what he says.

There are no publicly available specifications about the LGX, especially the HP.
How reliable is your twin turbo set up? Will I need any other new parts to accommodate twin turbos?
2LS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 07:29 PM   #224
CarGarage

Drives: 2SS/RS,Wrangler,CTSVcoupe,viper,etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnin' Rubber View Post
This is what I was thinking to keep the costs down. Although the Chevrolet SS sedan follows that formula with few options but it is still quite costly.

I'm not an automotive engineer, but if you take a vehicle with a given amount of mass and decide to put in smaller and smaller engines, it stands to reason those smaller engines have to work harder to get that mass moving.

What is the benefit in utilizing a 4-cylinder engine that has to rev twice as frequently as an 8-cylinder engine? I am sure there are multiple variables to consider such as rotational mass, but four pistons pumping twice as often as eight pistons will pretty much even out in terms of fuel consumption in my estimation.

Engines should not be made to work that hard. Focus on making powertrains more fuel efficient without removing cylinders. Smaller displacement and forced induction adds complexity and stress on your powertrain which is not ideal for longevity.

The recipe for a Camaro or any muscle car should be affordable V8 RWD power as a starting point for your design. Begin with V8 and RWD under $30k as your goal. Every other option that adds cost does not matter. Ordering two extra cylinders and a rear-wheel driveshaft should not increase the cost of a vehicle by 50% to 100% of the base price as it does now.
This is why a turbo was invented.

Illustration.
Audi s4 vs boosted a4
The boosted a4 makes the same power and more torque.
But it's lighter.
For a similar example.
911 vs 911t
Both 6s... Can you guess which is faster.

Turbo charging to stoic. Ratios allow equal power with less displacement
Without getting into too much detail....
Put the air fuel under pressure and it maximizes the space inside the cyl.

Search is your friend.
CarGarage is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2016 camaro, 2016 camaro forum, 2016 camaro forums, 2016 camaro spy, 2016 camaro spy photo, 2016 camaro spy photos, 2016 camaro spy pics, 2016 chevrolet camaro, 2016 chevy camaro, 2017 camaro, 2017 chevy camaro, 6 gen camaro, 6th gen camaro, 6th gen camaro forum, 6th gen camaro forums, 6th gen camaro info, 6th gen camaro news, 6th gen camaro rumors, 6th gen chevrolet camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro forum, 6th generation camaro, 6th generation camaro info, 6th generation camaro news, 6th generation camaro rumors, 6th generation chevy camaro, camaro 6th gen, camaro 6th generation