Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-23-2016, 07:27 PM   #1
SkyeGoat_03

Drives: White 2010 Camaro ss L99
2010 Camaro ss l99 exhaust question

Hello, I am a new, VERY HAPPY owner of a 2010 Camaro SS as of just over a month now.. And its been completely stock for long enough!!! My first plan of attack is an axleback, LT Headers, cold air intake and tune, without taking the resonators out of the middle of the exhaust. Has anyone done this, and is there a major draw back to doing these mods and keeping the resonators? Im new to the Camaro world and Mod world! Your input would be greatly appreciated!
SkyeGoat_03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 07:32 PM   #2
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
I have done the axel back & CAI, not the headers (yet) ... I've noticed a slight in improvement in performance/HP, improved responsiveness & it sounds much better
Old 02-23-2016, 07:37 PM   #3
dmcm494

Drives: 2011 2SS Camaro L99 Cyber Grey
There are a bunch of threads here just use the search feature. My personal opinion is the solo-performance cat back system. And the solo cat back is a great price great product and great customer service. And it sounds great.
dmcm494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 07:41 PM   #4
dmcm494

Drives: 2011 2SS Camaro L99 Cyber Grey
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21289 Look thru here.
dmcm494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 07:45 PM   #5
SkyeGoat_03

yes, those two are my top priority as of now, my stock exhaust just seems on the quiet side. I will be getting a bargain deal from a friend on some flo master American thunder series axleback this weekend, im looking forward to hearing it!
Old 02-23-2016, 07:49 PM   #6
justjoshin

Drives: 2010 SW 1SS L99 Camaro
I have LT's, CAI intake, tune, stock resonator, magnaflow mufflers with quad tips. I like the sound of the setup. I had a local muffler shop swap mufflers and install tips after i installed the zl1 diffuser. So i had the LT's with the stock exhaust too but the magnaflows gave it a better sound for sure.
Old 02-23-2016, 07:50 PM   #7
SkyeGoat_03

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcm494 View Post
thanks, this looks like a great resource, I have yet to run across this thread!
Old 02-23-2016, 08:00 PM   #8
SkyeGoat_03

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjoshin View Post
I have LT's, CAI intake, tune, stock resonator, magnaflow mufflers with quad tips. I like the sound of the setup. I had a local muffler shop swap mufflers and install tips after i installed the zl1 diffuser. So i had the LT's with the stock exhaust too but the magnaflows gave it a better sound for sure.
I would love to hear a sound clip of that setup, and I agree that a different exhaust would give me the tone I want. and do you have a tune from a programmer or a dyno tune? BTW you have yourself a good looking car
Old 02-23-2016, 08:03 PM   #9
justjoshin

Drives: 2010 SW 1SS L99 Camaro
Thanks, and it is a dyno tune. I will try to get a clip in the next day or so to post.
Old 02-23-2016, 08:06 PM   #10
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Shorty headers..hi flow cats... muffler delete exhaust. I still have the big stock resonator in place. I know its shorty headers but it gives you some sound comparision.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 10:24 PM   #11
RedTexasSS

Drives: 2012 SS Red w/ black rally stripes
I have a Camaro that I drag race, my SS is my daily driver and the plan when purchased was to leave it stock with no mods. Well, that didn't last long. The Camaro is a blast to drive and I soon wanted more horsepower but I didn't want it to be so loud that I couldn't hear the stereo or carry on a conversation. First I added the CAI intake, it would growl on acceleration. Soon after that I added TSP long tube headers with high flow cats and tuned the car. WOW, it came alive and sounded good but really just noticeable on acceleration. As the need for more horsepower continued, I added the GPI SS1 VVT camshaft. Now it really flies and it has a nice lope while idling, sweet! After spending the time and money to install the cam, I wanted to be able to hear the cam but still wanted to hear the stereo and talk to my passengers. I decided to install the Solo axle back back exhaust and leave the stock resonator in place. The car is loud when started and it's loud standing behind the car. It gets really loud on acceleration. It's hard to believe how quiet it is inside the car. It has a nice rumble below 50 mph on moderate acceleration. With the Solo system with J-pipes there is no drone at any speed and at highway speeds the exhaust is not any louder than the stock system. It sounds mean at idle and on acceleration, I get compliments everywhere I go. I am pleased with the stock resonator in place and the whole system was bolt on and the cost was reasonable. Have fun.
2012 SS Camaro, Victory Red w/black rally stripes, SLP front splitter, ZL1 Rocker panels, ZL1 Add-ons Stealth Wickerbill, L99, Magnuson Heartbeat supercharger, 65 lb. injectors, 87 mm pulley, ZL1 fuel pump, ADM FPCM,1 7/8 Texas Speed long tube headers, v-max ported throttle body, Rotofab cold air intake with Apex scoop, Apex catch can, MSD plug wires, AEM AFR and Boost gauges, GPI SS1 VVT Cam, HP tuners with remote tune by Ryan at GPI, Solo axleback exhaust w/j pipes and stock resonator.
RedTexasSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 10:46 PM   #12
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
The long tubes will always improve the sound and performance (when tuned). The rest is personal preference. Might I suggest starting with the LT's, hi flow cats, cai and tune to start. Many have found they actually like the sound of headers on the stock exhaust. Dont get in a position where you do too much and find it too loud or too much drone. Besides, after the headers, there is no more hp gain from altering the exhaust system. Good luck.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 10:49 PM   #13
SkyeGoat_03

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTexasSS View Post
I have a Camaro that I drag race, my SS is my daily driver and the plan when purchased was to leave it stock with no mods. Well, that didn't last long. The Camaro is a blast to drive and I soon wanted more horsepower but I didn't want it to be so loud that I couldn't hear the stereo or carry on a conversation. First I added the CAI intake, it would growl on acceleration. Soon after that I added TSP long tube headers with high flow cats and tuned the car. WOW, it came alive and sounded good but really just noticeable on acceleration. As the need for more horsepower continued, I added the GPI SS1 VVT camshaft. Now it really flies and it has a nice lope while idling, sweet! After spending the time and money to install the cam, I wanted to be able to hear the cam but still wanted to hear the stereo and talk to my passengers. I decided to install the Solo axle back back exhaust and leave the stock resonator in place. The car is loud when started and it's loud standing behind the car. It gets really loud on acceleration. It's hard to believe how quiet it is inside the car. It has a nice rumble below 50 mph on moderate acceleration. With the Solo system with J-pipes there is no drone at any speed and at highway speeds the exhaust is not any louder than the stock system. It sounds mean at idle and on acceleration, I get compliments everywhere I go. I am pleased with the stock resonator in place and the whole system was bolt on and the cost was reasonable. Have fun.
thanks for the great info, just about everything you have mentioned I have thought hard about doing, like bolt ones and leaving the resonator in place. I have done a small amount of research on the vvt camshafts, it sounds like something I would like, my car being a DD and not wanting to have a too aggressive/unreliable cam setup. But headers, intake and exhaust will come way before any decisions will be made on a cam.
Old 02-24-2016, 01:17 AM   #14
Kodexo

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
No you NEED to take your resonators out IMO. 2 of my friends have autos, one with a borla atak and one with a corsa and headers. They left their resonators in place for a long time and the one without headers and borla didn't even notice a difference over stock, maybe a tiny bit louder but once they got rid of resonators, it really changed. Resonators are important for the l99
Kodexo is offline   Reply With Quote