Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-23-2017, 10:54 AM   #29
thescout6

Drives: 16 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goal seeker View Post
Definitely a misfire. I just picked up my new 17 1SS on Saturday, and it ran great. I started it yesterday after its first detail (117 miles on the car), and was caught off guard by the misfire. You can definitely "feel" it. I had a 70 Chevelle with a aggressive small block in it, I know the difference between rough cam idle and a misfire (Isky 304 Mega). As soon as the engine built some temperature it went away. This was only idling in the garage. I did not drive it.

Yeah but it's been chilly in California the past couple mornings and your car is DI. Every direct injection big engine (6cylinders plus) I have ever had does this on a chilly morning and goes away after a minute or two of driving. Its not a misfire it's just rough idling with direct injection. It's just how DI cars operate at times. Your 70 Chevelle wasn't a DI car with this cam. It's comparing apples to oranges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thescout6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 12:03 PM   #30
Goal seeker

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by thescout6 View Post
Yeah but it's been chilly in California the past couple mornings and your car is DI. Every direct injection big engine (6cylinders plus) I have ever had does this on a chilly morning and goes away after a minute or two of driving. Its not a misfire it's just rough idling with direct injection. It's just how DI cars operate at times. Your 70 Chevelle wasn't a DI car with this cam. It's comparing apples to oranges.

The reference to the Chevelle was mentioned because the misfire felt and heard identical. I know there is no comparison to a DI engine, and a big cam carbureted engine. I am not talking about rough idle. I am 100% certain it is a misfire. What I am observing is a single point misfire that would happen every 5-10 seconds. There is no consistency behind it. There are a number of items that could influence it. Way too early to tell at this point. I need to put more miles on it. You may be right, it could be in the engine management. It was in the high 40s (and wet) when I witnessed it.
Goal seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 12:29 PM   #31
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
You will not have a misfire without triggering a code...end of story. Pull a plug wire and see just how long it takes to trigger a CEL.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 12:32 PM   #32
sub_ETCS_ret

Drives: 2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
You will not have a misfire without triggering a code...end of story. Pull a plug wire and see just how long it takes to trigger a CEL.
+1

I really need a like button on this site.
"Submariners are a bunch of intelligent misfits that somehow seem to get along, understand each other and work well together." - overheard from a surface officer explaining to another sailor about Submariners
sub_ETCS_ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 04:31 PM   #33
Goal seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
Pulling a plug wire would trigger a CEL because it's going to pick one up every other rotation. Do you think the EMS would react as fast on something that happens intermittently, and only when it's cold? My wife had a 2014 Grand Cherokee with a cylinder head problem that was notorious on the 3.6 Pentastars. I noticed a misfire a number of times before the CEL actually came on. Different make, different reactivity?
Old 01-23-2017, 04:33 PM   #34
sub_ETCS_ret

Quote:
Pulling a plug wire would trigger a CEL because it's going to pick one up every other rotation. Do you think the EMS would react as fast on something that happens intermittently, and only when it's cold? My wife had a 2014 Grand Cherokee with a cylinder head problem that was notorious on the 3.6 Pentastars. I noticed a misfire a number of times before the CEL actually came on. Different make, different reactivity?
Hahahaha, You're comparing a Chrysler product with a Chevy product. Stop!
"Submariners are a bunch of intelligent misfits that somehow seem to get along, understand each other and work well together." - overheard from a surface officer explaining to another sailor about Submariners
Old 01-23-2017, 04:41 PM   #35
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
My LT1 has it and my LS3 had it also. My LT1 even pops between changing gears and when letting off the gas. I usually let my '16 warm up in the mornings for a minute or so before pulling out of the driveway. I like other folks believe it's just the nature of the beast under the hood!
Old 01-23-2017, 08:24 PM   #36
thescout6

Drives: 16 2SS
Quote:
The reference to the Chevelle was mentioned because the misfire felt and heard identical. I know there is no comparison to a DI engine, and a big cam carbureted engine. I am not talking about rough idle. I am 100% certain it is a misfire. What I am observing is a single point misfire that would happen every 5-10 seconds. There is no consistency behind it. There are a number of items that could influence it. Way too early to tell at this point. I need to put more miles on it. You may be right, it could be in the engine management. It was in the high 40s (and wet) when I witnessed it.

Gotcha. Well pony up and buy a data logger so you can see the misfires

thescout6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 09:26 PM   #37
Goal seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub_ETCS_ret View Post
Hahahaha, You're comparing a Chrysler product with a Chevy product. Stop!
No likey the Chrysler?
Old 01-23-2017, 09:30 PM   #38
sub_ETCS_ret

Quote:
No likey the Chrysler?
Just adding a little humor. I have a Challenger as well.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 01-23-2017, 09:31 PM   #39
Goal seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thescout6 View Post
Gotcha. Well pony up and buy a data logger so you can see the misfires

Ran it again tonight and it seems to be less significant. I'm hoping some of you are right and it's nothing to worry about. It's gone as soon as it gets a little warm. Runs fine after. I need to put some miles on it. Thanks guys!
Old 01-23-2017, 10:52 PM   #40
mekirk2

Drives: 2016 2SS Ragtop Garnet Red
Quote:
Funny you mentioned that - my wifes 14 just had the head replaced a few weeks back for a misfire CEL. Apparently its enough of an issue on them that they keep a head in stock at the dealer.

Havent noticed it on my SS yet.
mekirk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 08:37 AM   #41
Goal seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekirk2 View Post
Funny you mentioned that - my wifes 14 just had the head replaced a few weeks back for a misfire CEL. Apparently its enough of an issue on them that they keep a head in stock at the dealer.

Havent noticed it on my SS yet.
Major problem with the 3.6 Pentastar. Ours was the driver side. And the sad part is, when I spoke with the service manager he stated is was a machining issue where the valve guides sit. Supposedly the angle was slightly off and created a bind with the valve stem, causing the guides to prematurely wear. Then the blowby starts, and once it gets significant, misfire. At least this is what I was told! Almost all of them were driver side failures.
Old 01-24-2017, 08:42 AM   #42
Goal seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub_ETCS_ret View Post
Just adding a little humor. I have a Challenger as well.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
On my third Chrysler. Always been a die hard Chevy guy, but now I'm a little more open-minded. I have a 14 Ram Express Crew that I have to turn back in next month (Camara replacing it). I hate to give it up, it a great truck. The 5.7 Hemi and 8 speed auto is a phenomenal package. My wife has a new Charger R/T to replace her 14 Grand Cherokee. I wanted the same drivetrain as the truck with the experience I had with it. I was a little reluctant to go with the V6.