Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 11-23-2015, 08:44 PM   #1
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Test drove a base V6

Just got back from my local dealer. Drove a base V6. Literally zero options on it.

I didn't take it on the freeway. But my first impressions are that this car is SOLID. I mean, tank-like SOLID!!! When you shut the doors it's Germanic solid!! Steering is very responsive. Interior plastics and other materials are very good quality. The dashboard material is actually somewhat soft touch, as is most of the interior controls.

Love the vent dial for the climate control. And I ran the blower to the top vents and kept my hand on the gear shift (it was an automatic) to see if the vents would blow directly on my hand, and it won't if you have the vents directed at your body. I did find the climate control temp indicator a little small and dim for my liking, I had to look for it. Wish it was brighter.

Power seats are silent. With the engine off and the doors closed you cannot hear even a slight hum out of the motors. Cloth seems very heavy duty and durable. I hope the leather is just as durable.

There is no overhead lighting, unless there's an overhead lamp above the rear seat that I didn't see and it was switched off. When you open the doors the only interior lights are the front map lights and the floor lights. Everything behind the center console is dark when you open the doors at night. I didn't really care for that. I prefer the entire interior be illuminated when you open the doors at night.

The brakes, even on the base V6, are terrific. I kinda had to hit them hard when the train lights and gate came on while driving and this thing stops on a dime..... can only imagine how well the Brembos do!!!

The main reason I wanted to drive it tonight was to see what all the hub-bub was about the visibility. Well folks, I have to tell ya, I found no problems with it at all. This car didn't have any of the blind spot or back up alerts, yet I was able to easily back it in to a parking spot between two Silverados using my rear and sideview mirrors.

All in all a great car - lightyears ahead of the 5th gen.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 08:48 PM   #2
G-10

Drives: 2016 Chevy Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
Just got back from my local dealer. Drove a base V6. Literally zero options on it.

I didn't take it on the freeway. But my first impressions are that this car is SOLID. I mean, tank-like SOLID!!! When you shut the doors it's Germanic solid!! Steering is very responsive. Interior plastics and other materials are very good quality. The dashboard material is actually somewhat soft touch, as is most of the interior controls.

Love the vent dial for the climate control. And I ran the blower to the top vents and kept my hand on the gear shift (it was an automatic) to see if the vents would blow directly on my hand, and it won't if you have the vents directed at your body. I did find the climate control temp indicator a little small and dim for my liking, I had to look for it. Wish it was brighter.

Power seats are silent. With the engine off and the doors closed you cannot hear even a slight hum out of the motors. Cloth seems very heavy duty and durable. I hope the leather is just as durable.

There is no overhead lighting, unless there's an overhead lamp above the rear seat that I didn't see and it was switched off. When you open the doors the only interior lights are the front map lights and the floor lights. Everything behind the center console is dark when you open the doors at night. I didn't really care for that. I prefer the entire interior be illuminated when you open the doors at night.

The brakes, even on the base V6, are terrific. I kinda had to hit them hard when the train lights and gate came on while driving and this thing stops on a dime..... can only imagine how well the Brembos do!!!

The main reason I wanted to drive it tonight was to see what all the hub-bub was about the visibility. Well folks, I have to tell ya, I found no problems with it at all. This car didn't have any of the blind spot or back up alerts, yet I was able to easily back it in to a parking spot between two Silverados using my rear and sideview mirrors.

Thanks, a great review!
Old 11-23-2015, 09:23 PM   #3
alfonsoj23

Drives: 2014 camaro ls
Great review, thank you!

Also I never had much problem when it comes to parking in my 5th gen camaro. So honestly can't stand when people complain so much about visibility.... I also have louvers on the back window!! And I still park just fine!! Smh... Lol
alfonsoj23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 09:52 PM   #4
Tath34ever

Drives: Soon Yellow 16 Camaro
Great review thank you!!
Tath34ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 10:00 PM   #5
LovePhenom
I am a UAW/GM employee.

Drives: 2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2LT RS V6
Thanks for the review!
Summit White 2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2LT RS V6 Auto w/ Adrenaline Red Interior, Red Hash Marks, 20" Machined Face Aluminum Wheels, Convenience & Lighting Package, Performance Exhaust , 8" MyLink w/ Navigation, Sunroof, RS Wheel Caps, GlowTie, Splash Guards, Red LGX Engine Cover, All Weather Premium Floor Mats, Cargo Mat, Red Knee Bolsters, Black Front Fascia Extension, RS Floor Console Lid, Red MGP Caliper Covers, ZL1 AddOns Tow Hook, 2017 ZL1 Spoiler.

Coming
Soon:

LovePhenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 10:31 PM   #6
Jeffro19

Drives: 2018 ZL1 6M, Silverado High Country
Great review. Thanks!

Current Vehicles - 2018 ZL1 Red Hot 6 spd manual, Carbon Hood, Sunroof
2019 Silverado High Country, Daily Driver
Jeffro19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 10:34 PM   #7
MrImSoFly

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue 2SS
Quote:

That's how I felt driving it last week. Had no visibility issues. However, I'm 6'3 lol
MrImSoFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 10:40 PM   #8
fastball
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrImSoFly View Post
That's how I felt driving it last week. Had no visibility issues. However, I'm 6'3 lol
I'm 5'6". With everything adjusted properly no one should have a hard time driving this car.
Old 11-23-2015, 10:44 PM   #9
GTIanZ28

Drives: 2016 V6 RS Camaro 6MT
Thank you for the great review.

18" wheels?
Old 11-23-2015, 11:14 PM   #10
LovePhenom
I am a UAW/GM employee.

Drives: 2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2LT RS V6
Quote:
I'm 5'6". With everything adjusted properly no one should have a hard time driving this car.
Good to know. I'm 5'6" as well.
Summit White 2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2LT RS V6 Auto w/ Adrenaline Red Interior, Red Hash Marks, 20" Machined Face Aluminum Wheels, Convenience & Lighting Package, Performance Exhaust , 8" MyLink w/ Navigation, Sunroof, RS Wheel Caps, GlowTie, Splash Guards, Red LGX Engine Cover, All Weather Premium Floor Mats, Cargo Mat, Red Knee Bolsters, Black Front Fascia Extension, RS Floor Console Lid, Red MGP Caliper Covers, ZL1 AddOns Tow Hook, 2017 ZL1 Spoiler.

Coming
Soon:

LovePhenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 05:39 AM   #11
fastball
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTIanZ28 View Post
Thank you for the great review.

18" wheels?
Whatever the base V6 comes with, I don't remember. This had no spoiler, cloth seats, 5 spoke rims, and the 6" infotainment screen.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:22 AM   #12
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
People that have never driven the car like to say things such as "Great car...too bad you can't see out of it". That's pretty much the default response from those that want to give the 6th gen some credit, albeit backhandedly.

People that are genuinely curious just need to go drive the thing.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:49 AM   #13
ChefBorOzzy

Drives: 2016 F150
I had absolutely no issues with visibility or driving the 6th gen. I remember how I felt sitting in the 5th gen though.. Hated it.
ChefBorOzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 09:02 AM   #14
L&M CAMARO 6

Drives: Just a fan for now
FAST, thanks for the review. I'm either getting the 2.0T or the V-6 with the 8 speed auto.
At 5'8" on a good day shrinking in my old age, LOL. Will be doing my test drive after the first of the year. My main concern is the seating position. Is it a legs strait out as in a Corvette? Sounds like you liked the cloth seating.
Thanks again for the positive review.
L&M CAMARO 6 is offline   Reply With Quote