Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 11-22-2015, 09:33 PM   #15
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuffnstuff1 View Post
Thats stupid I dont by cars for fuel econmy If i did i would by a bicycle. I dont care abut fuel consumption.

However being that the manual transmission option does not allow AFM do we have to pay the extra Fuel tax, My dealer did not discuss that.
Thank GM engineers for designing skip shift. They've had it on all cars with a V8 and 6 speed manual since the first 1989 Corvette ZR1. It has helped everyone avoid the federal gas guzzler tax on base V8 Camaros, Corvettes, Pontiac G8 and GTO, and Firebirds/Trans Ams. Higher performance models (ZL1, Z/28) do not escape the tax, but they do get a lower tax than if it didn't have skip shift.

You can also thank GM engineers for making it easily defeated by a $20.00 wiring harness available from virtually any on-line store that sells car parts, and also thank them for making it super easy to install.

GM knows many people will defeat the skip shift...... it's really a thumb of the nose to the EPA. Stuff like that is actually amusing.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 08:01 AM   #16
lDejavul

Drives: Camaro SS
The skip shift is not bad at all. It rarely comes up for me and when it does I don't really notice. It forces you into 4 from 1st and really isn't a big deal at all. As for rev matching its really nice for thoughtlessly passing or downshifting. You wont use it all the time but when you do its a really nice feature.
Dual Mode Exhaust
MRC
Splash Guards

1G1FG1R74G0124089
lDejavul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 08:34 AM   #17
jaymsu
Yeti's Daddy

Drives: ATS-V, Prowler, M6 V10
Corvettes had Skip shift since C5. I picked up skip shift eliminator for about $25. Easy fix.
(or if you are planning to tune the car, tuner will get rid of that.)

Rev match is a great feature. I would love to believe I mastered heel-n-toe but maybe not. I'll definitely give this feature a try on the track next year. (if I get the car before the track day, that is..... )
3000: 9/04/15 <TPW:10/19/15>
3800: 10/19/15 <VIN: 117740>
6000: 12/16/15
jaymsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 08:41 AM   #18
Ava

Drives: 2016 Summit White Camaro 2SS
I never liked skip-shift, not even the lights on the dash. It's easy to disable with a tune though.
Ava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 08:45 AM   #19
cuffnstuff1

Drives: Hearse
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ava View Post
I never liked skip-shift, not even the lights on the dash. It's easy to disable with a tune though.
I worry that a tune will void the warranty.
cuffnstuff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 08:49 AM   #20
Ava

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuffnstuff1 View Post
I worry that a tune will void the warranty.
You can always re-flash it back to stock when you take it in for work.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:55 AM   #21
Jakey2SS

Drives: 15' Scat Pack
Quote:
You can always re-flash it back to stock when you take it in for work.
Chevrolet can see if the car has been flashed and then flashed back to stock.... If it was that simple and easy to get away with it, everyone would do it... Gotta pay to play
Jakey2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 09:02 AM   #22
Ava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakey2SS View Post
Chevrolet can see if the car has been flashed and then flashed back to stock.... If it was that simple and easy to get away with it, everyone would do it... Gotta pay to play
True, but if the dealer denies a warranty claim over disabling a light that is designed to improve fuel economy, then they are not a dealer that I would ever do business with! Even if I somehow managed to drop my tranny, they can't blame disabling the skip shift on that. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act protects us from that kind of stuff.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:13 AM   #23
Jakey2SS

Drives: 15' Scat Pack
Quote:
True, but if the dealer denies a warranty claim over disabling a light that is designed to improve fuel economy, then they are not a dealer that I would ever do business with! Even if I somehow managed to drop my tranny, they can't blame disabling the skip shift on that. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act protects us from that kind of stuff.
You can say the ECM had been modified for whatever reason you want (If they actually looked at it, or were requested by GM to look at it)... they don't care if you had AFM tuned out, skip-shift eliminated, or a performance tune. Bottom line is the ECM was modified and unless you have the ability to stand up to GM and their lawyers I think you are just better off waiting for a skip shift eliminator plug and play harness to come out for the Gen 6
Jakey2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 09:27 AM   #24
FloridaBill

Drives: 2022 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul84043 View Post
If it still works the standard way, it's really freaking annoying.
That's a fact... Pain in the arse trying to pull second and it ain't there.
FloridaBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 09:29 AM   #25
Ava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakey2SS View Post
You can say the ECM had been modified for whatever reason you want (If they actually looked at it, or were requested by GM to look at it)... they don't care if you had AFM tuned out, skip-shift eliminated, or a performance tune. Bottom line is the ECM was modified and unless you have the ability to stand up to GM and their lawyers I think you are just better off waiting for a skip shift eliminator plug and play harness to come out for the Gen 6
You're definitely right, and I guess it just depends on many factors like your dealer's willingness to work with you (i.e. if you've been a repeat customer/refer a lot of family/friends), how serious the damage is, or who is working at GM that day and what kind of mood they're in.

I damaged my rear end on my 2010 with 32,000 miles and it needed to be replaced. I had several exhaust and other minor mods, as well as a tune. Before opening up the diff, my dealer sent the file of my tune to GM. After reviewing it, they replaced the entire rear end for free.

The harness would definitely be a better idea though!
Old 11-23-2015, 09:51 AM   #26
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
The skip shift only comes into play under certain conditions. I don't remember the actual numbers, but basically it only comes into play if you are accelerating very gradually at low speeds.
Most ZL1 drivers don't accelerate that slow when taking off at a stop light.
Even if it lights up and tries to have you go from 1st to 4th, all you have to do is pause in neutral for half a sec and then go to 2nd.

That's how it works in my 2013 anyway. It's no big deal at all.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 12:31 PM   #27
SacraMaro

Drives: 2014 1SS/RS, M6, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymsu View Post
Corvettes had Skip shift since C5. I picked up skip shift eliminator for about $25. Easy fix.
(or if you are planning to tune the car, tuner will get rid of that.)

Rev match is a great feature. I would love to believe I mastered heel-n-toe but maybe not. I'll definitely give this feature a try on the track next year. (if I get the car before the track day, that is..... )
My 96 LT4 has skip shift as well.

2002 Black on Black Convertible Z/28, M6 History
2002 Sunset Orange Metallic Z/28, M6 History
1981 Gold Berlinetta, Auto History
1976 C10 Stepside, History
SacraMaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 12:39 PM   #28
ParisTNDude
Owning SSes for 50 Years

Drives: Sharkskin Grey LT1
The Diablo folks swear that their tune is invisible to any scanner GM has. At least that's what they say on the t1000. I am fairly sure that GM could only refuse a warranty claim if they could prove something you did to the car caused the malfunction, like a blown engine with an erased rev limiter. I've had tunes on every car and truck where one was available and never had a question about it. Also never had a failure so there's no way to know if they could have detected a tune. Skip shift does nothing if your driving style raises RPM over like 1500 between shifts.

Previous Performance Cars:

1966 Chevelle SS 4M, 2010 Corvette 6M
1968 Dodge Charger R/T Auto 2012 1SS 6M
1982 Corvette Auto 2010 1SS 6A
1984 Corvette Auto 2016 2SS 8A
1999 Camaro Auto 2017 HBM 1SS 1le
2002 C5 Corvette 6M 2018 2SS
2006 Corvette Auto 2023 Camaro LT1
ParisTNDude is offline   Reply With Quote