Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 08-06-2021, 03:12 PM   #15
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
What a waste of money. We all know (from Number 3), that television commercials don't help sell vehicles.

LOL, NEVER said that. But that's one of the problems today I guess.

What I've said is a Camaro commercial would not lead to enough added sales to cover the cost of making and buying air time for a commercial. They know the market, they know what the market is aware of and they know the customers in that segment. They have much more data than our opinions and feelings.

It's why people in the same meeting with the same goals review and approve commercials for trucks, but not one for the Camaro.
Old 08-06-2021, 04:17 PM   #16
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearheadSS View Post
It's a good commercial.

The tailgate is awesome btw. I love mine.
I dunno, I prefer to be able to just reach in get what I need from the bed. I had a 3/4 ton truck a number of years back. It was more work than it was worth to take out and put stuff in. I traded it for midsize truck (some of which are now too high in the ass end to make them user friendly) I just think trucks have become way to tall for the average guy. Adding a step in the bumper and hinged step gate are solving for what should be a non problem. But, people like what they like… that’s the style.

And please, don’t get me wrong, I’m happy you’re happy. It works for you and that’s great.

Last edited by Chutzpah; 08-06-2021 at 04:41 PM.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 06:19 PM   #17
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
new(er) gm trucks, for the gentleman. unfortunately, the last work truck gm had was 30+ years ago. i really enjoyed my 84 k20.

i wont buy anything gm that isn't a camaro or corvette. especially a truck, especially if i wanted to use it for actual work.
Old 08-06-2021, 07:26 PM   #18
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
I dunno, I prefer to be able to just reach in get what I need from the bed. I had a 3/4 ton truck a number of years back. It was more work than it was worth to take out and put stuff in. I traded it for midsize truck (some of which are now too high in the ass end to make them user friendly) I just think trucks have become way to tall for the average guy. Adding a step in the bumper and hinged step gate are solving for what should be a non problem. But, people like what they like… that’s the style.

And please, don’t get me wrong, I’m happy you’re happy. It works for you and that’s great.
Oh I am going to do it -- Me and a guy at the "dump, landfill, acceptance facility" had a conversation -- we both exercised our tailgates and while the GM hands down blew mine away in functionality - mine was the FTW in terms of real life usage.

but meh, all the matter of preference of "your" daily activities.

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 07:58 PM   #19
Chutzpah

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerFran View Post
Oh I am going to do it -- Me and a guy at the "dump, landfill, acceptance facility" had a conversation -- we both exercised our tailgates and while the GM hands down blew mine away in functionality - mine was the FTW in terms of real life usage.

but meh, all the matter of preference of "your" daily activities.
If the GM truck tailgate is anywhere that it regularly goes below freezing / snow / ice….I can see that becoming a major PIA. As far I’m concerned, the process of removing crap from the bed should be effortless, simple and bullet proof. If I don’t have to drop the tailgate to yank a bag out, I don’t ( average humans can reach items over the bed rails of my “lowly” ((pun intended))Frontier truck)

Last edited by Chutzpah; 08-06-2021 at 09:57 PM.
Old 08-07-2021, 10:02 AM   #20
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
If the GM truck tailgate is anywhere that it regularly goes below freezing / snow / ice….I can see that becoming a major PIA. As far I’m concerned, the process of removing crap from the bed should be effortless, simple and bullet proof. If I don’t have to drop the tailgate to yank a bag out, I don’t ( average humans can reach items over the bed rails of my “lowly” ((pun intended))Frontier truck)
First, ice and snow won’t affect the tailgate any more than your doors.

Second, this tailgate was designed for people that use the bed of the truck for more than a bag

I believe part of the driver was to get a step similar to Ford’s which is actually still pretty clever. The rest was just bonus.

Also the engineer that led the development worked for me a long time ago. Very proud of him.
Old 08-07-2021, 11:31 AM   #21
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post

Second, this tailgate was designed for people that use the bed of the truck for more than a bag

I believe part of the driver was to get a step similar to Ford’s which is actually still pretty clever. The rest was just bonus.

Also the engineer that led the development worked for me a long time ago. Very proud of him.
If the tailgate remains closed all of the time, it should be no more impacted by snow and ice than doors as you mentioned.

However...

If you open the gate and walk across it, and compress snow down into the mechanics of the inner components of the gate, I could see that potentially causing additional impact until that were able to thaw down. I'm sure that there was a lot of thought put into the design and that it was tested a fair amount before moving to production (especially since it went to the more-expensive-for-no-reason-other-than-the-nameplate GMC trucks first). Still, I would expect that lots of snow and ice could have an impact on the fold-down pieces although I would hope it would be to a lesser extent.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 07:15 PM   #22
Chutzpah

Quote:

I used a bag as an example… I load my little truck up all the time (dirt, rocks, fill, brush and occasionally cement) It can handle 1400 lbs of payload. not much by today’s standards. But, how many people use their trucks for more than what I do on a regular basis? I work with a ton of hardcore union construction guys, most own their own trucks. Almost none utilize anywhere near that payload in real life.. they just like big trucks. Which is fine… I just tend to be more practical when it comes to getting the job done. Work smarter, not harder.

So, what are these items for which the design was based on /you speak of that require a step gate? What have I been missing all of these years?

Anywho, I’m not going to get into the snow / ice debate, other that to say I don’t want to have to climb into a oversized truck via a multi task, clever hinged mechanism, when it’s 20f outside and snowing. I was in the HVAC service field for years and snow and ice is not your friend.

To each their own, just not something that I’d be interested in.

Last edited by Chutzpah; 08-07-2021 at 08:52 PM.
Old 08-08-2021, 01:07 PM   #23

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
I'd say these multi-step, multi-use tail-gates are something well-worth advertising. It is something just about everyone can relate to. Pretty noticeable item of interest. Take it or leave it, but at least it's something new.

A Camaro ad? Why bother to advertise the basically same five or six year old unchanged car?
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 02:09 PM   #24
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
its not like they really want camaro sales to suddenly improve,this way they are justified in axing camaro.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 04:40 PM   #25
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
its not like they really want camaro sales to suddenly improve,this way they are justified in axing camaro.
That’s not how it works.
Old 08-08-2021, 05:09 PM   #26
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Quote:
That’s not how it works.
Come on, obviously everyone is sitting in an office going, "Ok, how can we **** up the Camaro so we can ax it!"

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 07:31 PM   #27
RollaMo

Drives: 2017 2SS
That commercial is great!
Wife loves "Walter the cat".

I also like my GMC 2500 HD too, even though it does not have that tailgate.

2015 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited
RollaMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 08:22 PM   #28
MR's 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS Vert/M6/F250 SD
I got great service out of my 07 GMC 2500. A little towing, some hauling. But mostly to get me to work in anything from Hurricane Sandy to heading in on unplowed roads in a blizzard through 3 foot drifts at 5am. The DuraTracs helped. I also used it to kill a few deer. And daze one that ran into the side of me then ran off leaving me with a caved in bedside.
12 years 160,000 miles. few repairs. a brake job. a little rust on the left rear wheel well. If not for the rust I would have kept it longer. Lots of salt in Jersey.
Got an F-450 at work in 2017. Bought the 250 in 2019. Wanted the alumaduty. And I love the way they look.
I got the tail gate step because Im 65 and these Superditys are HIGH. It has a handle that I didnt use at first but I use it all the time now. Its great when your loading or unloading a lot of small things and carrying them away... over and over... Even if its groceries.
I dont know how chevys tailgate is but its still a good idea. Looks a bit complex compared to the simple flip out step on the Ford. But if I was buying a GM Id get it.
I also bought the Ford because it was the most American made of the big 3. And I wanted a solid front axle after 2 IFS trucks. I dont really see much deterioration in ride quality between the two 3/4 ton trucks. My Yukon GT was smoother but 1/2 ton.
Ford does put shit steering stabilizers on from the factory so I replaced mine with a King right away. Im about to change shocks at 25,000 miles. The stockers are shit too.