Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-15-2020, 11:12 AM   #85
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimjim2525 View Post
The more I go on this site, the more nervous I get to bring my car to the dealer. The two times I brought my car to the dealer were a minor nightmare. My wifes old Camry back in 1996 had the window come off the track. Brought it to the dealer to be fixed, they called my wife and said you need a new battery, tranny flush, spark plugs and wires, etc, etc, etc. She called me in a panic not sure what to do. I told them to put the f'ing window back on the track.
I just bring my Camaro to get my free oil change and hood latch was acting up, they drive my car 24 miles and put the back seat down. Other than these two things which were under warranty, I do all my own stuff, or I have a very reputable garage to go to, that a close friend owns.
No one would go to a forum, start a thread and say "my local dealer did an oil change and it was perfect!" Obviously, it's only when something bad happens, people want advice, sympathy, etc. and go on the forum and post about.

That's why things like Yelp and Google reviews will paint a more accurate picture of the individual dealer you go to. People do actually leave good reviews for them when they do a good job.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 11:17 AM   #86
Camaro_QC

Drives: 08 Tiburon GS, 2018 Camaro 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
I couldn’t agree with you more MISTAPOWA!�� When I had a major front end collision in my new 2016 2SS about 6 months after buying it I was wondering if it would total or be repaired. My insurance company decided to repair because the car was so new and all the airbags didn’t deploy even though the right side front was practically destroyed. The car was in the body shop for 2 months being repaired as it took that long to get some of the replacement parts and finally I got it back but had to take it to get some issues checked out after the initial repairs. The car had over $18,000 in damage after all was said and done but it didn’t stop me from enjoying it after getting it back as it drove and performed the same as before the accident. When I traded it on my used ZL1 last year in March I told the dealership that the SS had been in a major accident and when the Sales Manager looked it over he couldn’t believe it because it had been repaired so well. So the moral is to get a good body shop to do the repairs and move on in your life and if you don’t have the interest left for the car then get something else and let it go down the road to someone else.
Amen to that!
1100 - 5/08/2018 | 3800 - 6/18/2018
2000 - 5/09/2018 | 4200 - 6/21/2018
3000 - 5/28/2018 | 5000 - 6/27/2018
6000 - 6/29/2018
Camaro_QC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 12:49 PM   #87
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
I think it comes down to the fact that most car buyers are jaded. I had a good experience buying my Camaro but I still never trusted the salesman, manager, or the entire dealer. I trust no one at any car dealer. And that goes back to the insipid franchise laws that protect dealerships as independent distributors of the cars instead of being wholly owned and operated by the company whose cars they sell. The old proverbial “middleman”, and they just exist to make money. They don’t bring anything to the table and they’re always looking to screw people.

The entire car dealership industry in America is just one big suspect industry. Get rid of commission sales AND service. Give everyone a flat rate salary or hourly stipend. Create and enforce policies that employees must abide by or lose their jobs. If someone doesn’t know to close the door of a customers car before backing it out, they shouldn’t be touching customer cars period.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 01:09 PM   #88
6sigma

Drives: rally green LT1 manual
I haven't read this entire thread, so sorry if this has been mentioned, but I'd give the dealer a chance to make lemonade out of lemons. I'd ask them to give me full trade value for a perfect undamaged car plus some reasonable amount for diminished value (5-10%) as trade toward a new Camaro (or whatever vehicle you want). They could then repair the car however they want, or sell it as is, and you get a new car for a fair deal.

The dealership has a responsibility to make you whole and this is just one way for them to do that. Personally, I would not want that car even after the repair. I'd be worried the door hinge area/frame is bent and unrepairable. I'd be looking to trade out anyway and better to give them a chance to make it right and give you a good deal.
6sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 01:30 PM   #89
mikeman
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by TP2SS View Post
So, a question for all you “they’ll fix it and you should be happy” folks....
If someone came on this forum and asked if they should buy this car because it’s a “great deal”, but has this history, what would be your replies?

Because I see a lot of “walk away” replies when people do that for rental cars, 3-4 previous owners, possible A8 issues, etc.

When you start “pulling” on a unibody to straighten it, chances are it’ll never track right again, there will be fit issues, there will be rattle issues, etc. That pillar is a major structural component of the car. I wouldn’t want it back.
Yeah, the double standard get can pretty thick around here sometimes. Former rental cars are the black plague, but a fixed up car with $18k worth of damage is good to keep if the shop fixes it.

Also, you have to consider the source. If it's some owner who trades their car in every 3 years for the latest greatest thing, then they will have a different opinion compared to someone who keeps their vehicles for a long time.
mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 01:37 PM   #90
caSStro18

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeman View Post
Yeah, the double standard get can pretty thick around here sometimes. Former rental cars are the black plague, but a fixed up car with $18k worth of damage is good to keep if the shop fixes it.

Also, you have to consider the source. If it's some owner who trades their car in every 3 years for the latest greatest thing, then they will have a different opinion compared to someone who keeps their vehicles for a long time.
There’s a little bit of a difference between a car with cosmetic damage and one that has been beat to shit and might possibly have some serious mechanical issues looming in the near future. Previous rentals are those cars. But, I kinda see your point.
caSStro18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 02:03 PM   #91
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Well mikeman, I planned to keep my 2016 for longer than I did but I decided that I would get a ZL1 because I wanted one back in 2017 when they were released for the 6gen but couldn’t afford a new one and figured I would never own one then or later. I was looking to upgrade to a SS 1LE and found the used 2017 ZL1 for a good price and moved on from the 2016 2SS and not because the SS was giving me any problems. It was my choice and have no regrets. I have an opinion just like you and everyone else here does about the situation and wish the Op well with his Camaro whatever happens.
Old 05-15-2020, 03:54 PM   #92
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MISTAPOWA View Post
The thing is the dealership will most likely pay for this out of pocket so there will be no marks on a Carfax. No insurance claim, no record of a repair order since it will be billed internal, it will be fixed and done.

Working at a dealership for over 20 years most every used car that comes through the door has some kind of damage, paint work, touch up, or something most people will never notice. Carfax's are clean, vin stickers still there, nobody would know. Hell many new cars have carrier and lot damage and are internally billed at cost so it doesn't have to be disclosed. Or if it's over a large dollar amount they are put as loaners and then does not need to be disclosed. I'm sure there are a few of you out there who's brand new car has already had paintwork and you will never know.

Once you realize it's just a car and accept something has happened, you can chill out and enjoy the car that much more without being paranoid and spending every weekend of your life putting ceramic coating on crappy factory paint while your kids wonder where their dad moved to.
This is spot on, my Z had a minor scratch on the rear bumper... happened during shipping, another car had small license plate scratches on the rear bumper and another car had a cracked mirror housing. All were new cars I purchased with the condition that they be repaired perfectly. The repairs were done professionally and no record of repair. In the case of the Z, the bumper now matches the body. Before the repair, it was darker with less metal flake. All of these cars were brand new.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 05:45 PM   #93
mikeman
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
This is spot on, my Z had a minor scratch on the rear bumper... happened during shipping, another car had small license plate scratches on the rear bumper and another car had a cracked mirror housing. All were new cars I purchased with the condition that they be repaired perfectly. The repairs were done professionally and no record of repair. In the case of the Z, the bumper now matches the body. Before the repair, it was darker with less metal flake. All of these cars were brand new.
I don't know how you were able to get away with that. Every single bodyshop I've ever been to would at least require a blend into the 1/4 panels. They would not guarantee a "perfect" color match without a multi panel blend. However, maybe you just got extremely lucky and it all matched when they just did the bumper.
mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 07:32 PM   #94
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeman View Post
I don't know how you were able to get away with that. Every single bodyshop I've ever been to would at least require a blend into the 1/4 panels. They would not guarantee a "perfect" color match without a multi panel blend. However, maybe you just got extremely lucky and it all matched when they just did the bumper.
Painted plastic bumpers in alot of cases do not match the body exactly, most particularly paint with metal flake (even from the manufacturer). I was told the reason for this is the inclusion of a flexible additive. Plastic bumpers are often painted separately from the body because of this additive.... at least that’s my understanding from talking to body shops...not certain if that’s right or not. Heard that back many years ago.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 08:47 PM   #95
NYJets12

Drives: 2018 1LT Camaro
Name the dealership so nobody else goes there.
Sucks this had to happen, what a bunch of morons
Old 05-15-2020, 08:51 PM   #96
BRMike

Drives: 2017 Corvette
Am I the only person to immediately think of the scene from Tommy Boy when looking at the OP's pictures?
2018 Kenetic Blue Metallic Chevrolet Colorado Z71 Crew Cab (8A)
BRMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 09:13 PM   #97
DC5

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
Painted plastic bumpers in alot of cases do not match the body exactly, most particularly paint with metal flake (even from the manufacturer). I was told the reason for this is the inclusion of a flexible additive. Plastic bumpers are often painted separately from the body because of this additive.... at least that’s my understanding from talking to body shops...not certain if that’s right or not. Heard that back many years ago.
Your understanding is correct. On my 2009 Pontiac G8 GT, I upgraded to a GXP bumper cover after my wife curbed the original bumper cover within 6 months of purchasing the vehicle new. The new bumper cover matched wonderfully, and the body shop used a flex additive for durability.
DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 08:19 AM   #98
Zaqwert6

Drives: 2SS
I can't even imaging how upset I would be in your situation. My condolences.

That said, despite what many have posted here, that can be repaired perfectly with zero impact to the performance or appearance of the car.

"CAN"...with out question. Now, I can not speak to whether or not it will at that dealership. I've had far worse damage repaired, and to more expensive cars, and I defy anyone to identify those repairs. But I have an amazing repair shop local to me that I have used exclusively for ages.

So if it was me.... I would file an insurance claim (they will settle up with the dealer later) and take it to the repair shop of my preference and get it fixed that way I want and to my 100% satisfaction. You are no way obligated to let that dealer fix the damage just because they did it. By doing so, you are forfeiting many of your rights in that situation. They will do whats best for them and you will have to fight with them over that and probably after the fact.

Have it fixed by someone that it working for YOUR needs and satisfaction.

IMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyhamster View Post
Hey ya'll. Thank you so much for the advice so far. This is something I was hoping I would never have to go through with this car, and don't wish it upon anyone.

Update so far is that I have an itemized list for their body shop's preliminary estimate. I will list below what needs to be repaired or replaced.

Left Fender
Left Emblem
Left Uni-side Panel Hinge Pillar (Possible Inner Pillar Damage)
Set up and measure of the frame/uni-body and a pull for the uni-body.
Left Door Shell

They have the Left Quarter Panel listed to blend with the replaced parts as well as the left roof rail, and a cover for welding.

Questions I have at this point are:

If its listing "Possible Inner Pillar Damage"; then is there a chance that no structural damage happened to the uni-body and the left side panel wouldn't need to be replaced?

If it does need to be replaced, how badly will it affect the car; would it not drive the same or cause other issues I'm not thinking about at this time?

What would they need to be welding on the car and how does that affect the integrity of the frame where its done?

I've spoken with my insurance company, and they have given the same advice for diminished values as well and it is something I am taking strongly under advisement.

Thank you again for your advice thus far!
Zaqwert6 is offline   Reply With Quote