Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-31-2018, 01:44 PM   #1
Sledgehammer70
Lethal Camaro

Drives: 16 2SS, 71 Std, Suburban RTS
Best Rotors for the SS Stock Brake Setup?

As the title requests. I am looking for the best rotors for the stock brake offering from GM. I plan to do mostly street driving and drag racing and when I am ready to road course I will be looking at an entirely different system.

Any suggestion on new rotors? I just haven't seen many people chat about how they have liked any of the aftermarket setups yet, and I don't want to buy 5 different sets at this time to see which ones I might like.
Sledgehammer70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 04:25 PM   #2
Soleil

Drives: Camaro 50th anniversary edition
For me Brembo is on first place.
Soleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 06:56 PM   #3
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
The OEM's are going to be the best quality.
Old 01-31-2018, 07:18 PM   #4
BurnOne

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
I was looking at these Matt, but I haven't pulled the trigger...
They are down there in your backyard in So Cal!!
If you go check them out, let us know what you think??

https://www.r1concepts.com/
BurnOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 08:45 AM   #5
TheMaGikDucK

Drives: 2016 1SS
Im not too happy with OEM rotors, I will be looking at raybestos or centric stuff for this season (I have uneven heating issues while tracking). Also, I'd avoid anything drilled. Notice most real race cars dont have drilled rotors (not counting carbon ceramic, there are material properties things going on here I don't understand).
TheMaGikDucK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 12:00 PM   #6
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaGikDucK View Post
Im not too happy with OEM rotors, I will be looking at raybestos or centric stuff for this season (I have uneven heating issues while tracking). Also, I'd avoid anything drilled. Notice most real race cars dont have drilled rotors (not counting carbon ceramic, there are material properties things going on here I don't understand).
Yup, run full-face/solid-face rotors or slotted (accelerated wear to pads). Drilled are just asking for trouble and pretty much pointless.

OEM, which I think are Brembo (don't quote me), Centric/Stop Tech and DBA are all fine and affordable. I've used Centric on a variety of cars in autocross, track day/HPDE and Lemons endurance racing without issue.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 05:49 PM   #7
Sledgehammer70
Lethal Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soleil View Post
For me Brembo is on first place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
The OEM's are going to be the best quality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnOne View Post
I was looking at these Matt, but I haven't pulled the trigger...
They are down there in your backyard in So Cal!!
If you go check them out, let us know what you think??

https://www.r1concepts.com/
Quote:
Thanks for the input. Overall I have't had issue with the Z26 pads from Powerstop, but just not sure what rotors would be better than the stock offering. I am not looking to buy a full new brake setup at this time.

My stock Brembo rotors have heated and warped a few times. once I had them resurfaced, but now I just want them gone. I am sure my can can really use a bigger brake set, but I am holding off for now.
Old 02-02-2018, 08:52 AM   #8
TheMaGikDucK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehammer70 View Post
Thanks for the input. Overall I have't had issue with the Z26 pads from Powerstop, but just not sure what rotors would be better than the stock offering. I am not looking to buy a full new brake setup at this time.

My stock Brembo rotors have heated and warped a few times. once I had them resurfaced, but now I just want them gone. I am sure my can can really use a bigger brake set, but I am holding off for now.
Are you doing a lot of track days? I find the stock setup asside for the OEM rotors to be perfectly adequate with good fluid and race pads driving as an instructor. I see no NEED to do a BBK, no matter how much power the car has unless your seriously tracking it (I do 30-50 days a summer).
Old 02-05-2018, 02:18 PM   #9
Sledgehammer70
Lethal Camaro

Quote:
Are you doing a lot of track days? I find the stock setup asside for the OEM rotors to be perfectly adequate with good fluid and race pads driving as an instructor. I see no NEED to do a BBK, no matter how much power the car has unless your seriously tracking it (I do 30-50 days a summer).
Mainly looking for the best rotor to allow a bit more bite for drag, I do plan to track the car just after Spring, sop not sure what will be needed.
Old 02-05-2018, 03:07 PM   #10
Soleil

Drives: Camaro 50th anniversary edition
Maybe start with stainless steel brake lines first. It gives you a better feeling.
Soleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 05:19 PM   #11
F1FTY

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Silly question, but do you have the brake air guides installed? Just asking because a few trips down the quartermile should be ok for the stock rotors with a few minutes in the pit lanes between your runs?
F1FTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:31 PM   #12
Sledgehammer70
Lethal Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soleil View Post
Maybe start with stainless steel brake lines first. It gives you a better feeling.
already have this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1FTY View Post
Silly question, but do you have the brake air guides installed? Just asking because a few trips down the quartermile should be ok for the stock rotors with a few minutes in the pit lanes between your runs?
Yup, overall just looking for more bit over the stock rotors.
Old 02-06-2018, 08:55 AM   #13
F1FTY

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
already have this.

Ah ok, thanks!

StopTech slotted have worked for me in the past once the OEM rotors wore out, along with their Street Performance/Sport pad for DD/Autox.

Have you considered a different brake pad compound? You had written about going to the Z26 awhile back, not sure if you've changed those. Usually a low dust pad won't be able to brake as well when you really clamp down, but the Z26's could be different.
F1FTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 09:10 AM   #14
TheMaGikDucK

Quote:
already have this.

I dont think you actually get any better stopping with a slotted rotor, Ive never seen any real data to prove that they do... Again I go back to most real race cars having blanks (and they change brake components after every race, so wear isnt really a factor outside of endurance).

If you want more bite get a more aggressive pad, but be prepared to deal with the dust. For anything other than road course work the OEM rotors are fine, and I think theyre still okay for road course if your not an advanced driver yet, and don't require more than something like a carbotech XP10/12 or equivalent.

just my $0.02

Also, did you actually notice a difference in feeling from the SS lines? I was under the impression that the new camaros and vettes dont really benefit from these anymore, as a pretty sturdy line were already used.