Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 01-20-2018, 09:13 PM   #1
KellyK

Drives: 2016 Camero Convertible RSV6
Wireless Charger removal?

I want to remove the wireless charger from my wife's 16 convertible. Does anyone know the procedure to do this. I replaced the one in my 17 Silverado with an aftermarket charger to charge my iPhone 8. It worked great. Now I want to pull her's out and mod the place where the phone sits to get it working with her iPhone. I don't want to go yanking on plastic and break something. If i can get the plastic off I know how to do the rest. I will be glad to post a how to once complete.
KellyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 05:44 AM   #2
red_johnny

Drives: 2016 Gray 2SS M6
Good luck! Very interested to see how this works out.
red_johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 09:58 AM   #3
SLO

Drives: Slo'ly
My s8 with a case doesn't fit onto he wireless charger, wish there was a way to make it just half inch wider.... even less than half an inch.
SLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 10:54 AM   #4
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO View Post
My s8 with a case doesn't fit onto he wireless charger, wish there was a way to make it just half inch wider.... even less than half an inch.
My S8 fits great! Had to cut the rubber pad at the ends with a sharp knife, looks great and fits perfectly. I don't use cases though, just the phone.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 11:48 AM   #5
KellyK

Drives: 2016 Camero Convertible RSV6
the iPhone 8+ does not fit either but my 8 does and it still does not charge. Plan is to remove the panel, put in an after market charger and work on a new piece of rubber to make the larger phone fit. But I have to figure out how to remove the panel and access everything first.
KellyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 11:54 AM   #6
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyK View Post
the iPhone 8+ does not fit either but my 8 does and it still does not charge. Plan is to remove the panel, put in an after market charger and work on a new piece of rubber to make the larger phone fit. But I have to figure out how to remove the panel and access everything first.
I'll definitely be interested in knowing how you replace the charging element. I have an iPhone X that fits and doesn't charge. Apparently Apple has chosen the latest, faster more powerful Xi standard, and most GM vehicles use the original Xi standard. Since some of the 2018 GM vehicles use the new standard, I am hoping the parts are available.

I will check with some of my friends at GM to see if they have info on how to disassemble and reassemble the charging pad.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 03:14 PM   #7
Bigdog9586

Drives: 2016 Z06 coupe
Quote:
I want to remove the wireless charger from my wife's 16 convertible. Does anyone know the procedure to do this. I replaced the one in my 17 Silverado with an aftermarket charger to charge my iPhone 8. It worked great. Now I want to pull her's out and mod the place where the phone sits to get it working with her iPhone. I don't want to go yanking on plastic and break something. If i can get the plastic off I know how to do the rest. I will be glad to post a how to once complete.
The Camaro Charger is a joke, even if it works. At 70 mph having to reach behind me to grap it is stupid. That’s if it hasn’t slid off the charger and under the seat somewhere.
Bigdog9586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 10:32 AM   #8
frankegd

Drives: '18 SS Convertible
I would like to see some pics about the charger pad itself, the (un)install and maybe the required harness, if necessary. My '17 does not have it and I would like one.
If you take it out completely, mind selling it?
Or does anyone have part numbers for it?

Thank you
FrankEGD
frankegd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 10:35 AM   #9
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Following this intently. GM used an untimely outdated pad in this car. Several of their models as of 2018 got the updated unit, but not the Camaro.

I am seriously considering swapping it out for a good one for the iPhone X I just got.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:18 AM   #10
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
Following this intently. GM used an untimely outdated pad in this car. Several of their models as of 2018 got the updated unit, but not the Camaro.

I am seriously considering swapping it out for a good one for the iPhone X I just got.
Yup. My situation exactly. Still waiting to hear from some of my folks about a service procedure to disassemble / re-assemble the pad. Anybody got clues on a replacement charger that might fit?
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Old 01-22-2018, 11:25 AM   #11
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Yup. My situation exactly. Still waiting to hear from some of my folks about a service procedure to disassemble / re-assemble the pad. Anybody got clues on a replacement charger that might fit?
I will have to go back and find the list of 2018 vehicles that work...I would like to think that one, or all of them would use a pad that could fit in there. GM has a convenient habit of picking a one-size-fits all component for stuff people can't see.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:38 AM   #12
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
I will have to go back and find the list of 2018 vehicles that work...I would like to think that one, or all of them would use a pad that could fit in there. GM has a convenient habit of picking a one-size-fits all component for stuff people can't see.
Enclave, Escalade, Tahoe, Suburban, Silverado, all GMC products. I might be missing a couple.

Old 01-22-2018, 11:42 AM   #13
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Do you guys have three or four wires going into module
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 11:55 PM   #14
urirx98

Drives: 2016 Bumble Bee Yellow 2SS
Ugg was so hoping that i would be able to charge my note 8 on the pad but its to small, my wifes S8 fits with case off but being the cars so small as it is, and just 1 dc plug( Radar for now), im goin to have to make sure my phone is charged well before driving long distances or carry my portable charger