Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

View Poll Results: Which mod?
Supercharger 7 26.92%
Turbo 8 30.77%
Cam 11 42.31%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-31-2014, 11:26 AM   #1
goldcoastmat

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS convertable
What mod next?

2013 L99 convertible, current mods are in sig.

Small inheritance coming in soon. I can justify $7k-$8k at the highest, less is better.

DD, still has a note on it, so keeping her on the road long term is really important, reliability is a must.

Personal experience of these options in a DD (with regular road trips every few months) would be appreciated.

Supercharger

Turbo

Cam

Mods list to long to fit in sig now lol

Check build thread

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=377507
goldcoastmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 11:50 AM   #2
Camarojt

Drives: 2011camaro SS
AGP twin turbo package! Hands down.
Camarojt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 12:09 PM   #3
Birm

Drives: Florida Speed & Power
All 3 are excellent options, I personally would do a Cam/Heads package though just because I LOVE a nice Cam Chop and a "little" hp bumb

You are in Florida, you should swing by the shop, see some of the builds. We always have a few going, might help you make up your mind

If you are gonna go Supercharger, go ECS. If you want to turbo, nothing beats the AGP Kit.

All 3 will DD fine with a proper tune, I personally DD'd a Cam/SC for over a year until my family grew..

Pm me if you have any question.

Birm
Birm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 05:10 PM   #4
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
I have a 2013 with a cam from TSP, the people really notice when you have headers and a cam.... And its best done with a proper break in for a cam in my opinion and using good driven racing br30 for break in and ls30 for oil. That's my opinion and I still get well over 20 MPG on the freeway. I know you have resonators to delete and such I had a 2011 vert l99 and opted to go to a manual rather than void out the drive train warranty on a auto just to make it more lively. Supercharged or turbo you would put added stress on the engine, well so does a higher lift longer duration cam, doing it right the first time for me was having the best professional in the area do it and parts and labor totaled about five grand with new headers, dyno tune, and high flow cats etc etc. You would be looking at either a ls3 conversion or a VVT cam and there are those on here if you ask about them who are doing great with VVT cams, also this being the internet everyone who has had a faulty part comes here also or who did not do their research on the parts or the best install or the best oil or methods for longevity. You would require a better around 3000 stall, and other things like the correct pushrods .....as you have half your lifters for afm, a ls3 takes 7.375 and a l99 seems to take 7.40 and you want enough spring pressure for the cams higher lift etc.... I used to research into doing the job on my l99 I had and wanted to go with Mast motorsports as they were the first to do a upgrade for the l99 engine and I would recommend their parts. I would also recommend reading the testimonials and especially the tech articles by driven racings website and how they used to loose 1 in 10 cams on the engine dyno compared to 1 in 40 now doing a break in on a cam just almost like a flat tappet cam...... ( I am a old motor head who did his own engines all the time in my classic chevys). You will want things like all the gaskets figured in and if you want to upgrade the timing chain, and a three bot cam sprocket and maybe upgrade the oil pump....( I am still using stock oil pump and timing chain which is a stock single roller as my installer is very competent and let me know also that they are good for a long time along with the rocker trunions which only were mainly a problem on the first year of the ls7)...I do though plan to check all my springs at 25 thousand miles and am very happy with my results from tuning and parts I came in at 491 h.p. to the wheels on a conservative mustang dyno after his working his magic with the h.p. tuning software and the g.m. software....the tuner being competent is a must as they build up a repository over the years of tunes given to like engines and the adjustments made to them and common problems etc, my guy is a strictly g.m. guy named Wong a electrical engineer turned tuner up in Washington at wongs performance engineering.
You would as I have been doing want to upgrade the suspension as the power without torque management put to the ground is substantially more and the idle being higher and the take off being more rpm's..900 idle, and I have to go to 1500 rpm to avoid cam surge on take off ....I use BMR products and like them I can feel the difference and avoid wheel hop... I am waiting for 3.91 gears and such for a tax return in February and then all will be a total package that you can afford with that price range...... other wise ... a supercharger is spendy as is a turbo and install, a daily driven turbo has to spool up to get its power to the ground, a supercharger makes power off the bat but just as a turbo is shoving more gas down the throat and requires other supporting mods which in both cases if done wisely are far above your budget. And believe me once your at 500 rwhp range its a lot different enough form stock when the tune is done right it makes a Camaro kick Arse..... People are always commenting on how nice my car sounds with its headers though the dual mode and a nice chop does ring true to old muscle.

Well that's my advice, if you want to go with any thing remember the heads are slightly different in the set up for the l99 and have solid not hollow valve stems, the cam has a cam phaser the lifters half of them are different for AFM....and the compression slightly lower on a l99 than a ls3. I would have done the Black l99 I had and it surely would have cost me more than my Ls3 but I wanted what I went to the lot for in the first place a red coupe....and I settled for the best on the lot. SO add up the costs...dyno tune /h.p. tune $500, cam with springs to match and hardened pushrods $800, gaskets, cam sprocket, new bolts, harmonic balancer bolt... a better balancer would be nice too, then add in labor and add other supporting mods if you want it to live well at least some toes and trailing arms with poly bushings, a nice Lpw cover and such etc...I am going to a Eaton true trac ......it all adds up, and do not forget break in oil and filters.. And you budget best suits a cam, and any job is worth doing right.... SO research yourself its your money. Good luck
Old 11-01-2014, 05:58 AM   #5
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Cam/heads!
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 06:50 AM   #6
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Might want to consider some suspension and tire upgrades if forced induction is in the cards.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 09:45 AM   #7
1985airborne
One Slow Automatic

Drives: 2017 GS 2010 CAMARO SS
Cam and heads first...that way you can save money when you bolt on the blower...
Old 11-01-2014, 11:09 AM   #8
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
You will have to sell your LT headers that I see in your sig, if you are to go TT.

IMHO, best daily driver setup would be an AGP TT setup.

For DD, you simply cannot beat the refinement a turbo offers on sound and driveabilty.

Turbo's are also very efficient, when sized correctly and you are off boost, and cruising on cruise control, gas mileage will be thumbs up still. You also have the option to adjust boost from super low, to moderate/ or high on the fly from the cockpit.

Of course on the refinement comment, this is where the arguement may come into play.
Is this refinement in sound fitting for a muscle car?

Just a lil' food for thought here.

You can't go wrong with any of your options.
It does ultimately depend on your budget, goals, etc.

I've always been a turbo kind of guy, but I needed a change.

These cars are quite refreshing for me with LT headers to kick things off , therefore my route of choice with Sledge has been to not go TT, even though I'm recommending it nonetheless .
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 11:54 AM   #9
Dimitrim
Dimitri

Drives: 68 GTO 455 Ram Air; 2014 Camaro ZL1
Cam and have some one reputable port the heads. That's what I would do.
Dimitrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 12:01 PM   #10
Bo White

Drives: 2015 Summit White 2SS 1LE
I say boost. Get the big expense out of the way first and it's the largest gain. I'm over 600rwhp and stock internal.
2010 1SS Wilkes Performance/Eagle 416 shortblock, TSP custom valvetrain, PRC 260 heads, Edelbrock Pro Flo 102, th400 swap, 8" PTC 5500 stall= 535/435 at the wheels tuned Gen 3 Performance and Dyno 10.97 @ 124 full weight in 3100 DA CamaroFest X
Bo White is offline   Reply With Quote