Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 07-21-2020, 07:56 AM   #1
legbuh

Drives: 13camaroZL1v,06 911, 18 StingerGT2
Mag Ride... is it working?

How do you tell if your Mag Ride is working?

I can't tell any difference between normal and sport. It's a 13 with about 30k miles on it.

On bigger bumps it seems a little clunky.
legbuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 08:31 AM   #2
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
I've never ridden in one with the Mag ride, but everything I have heard says the difference is obvious. Check the shocks for signs of leaking.
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 09:11 AM   #3
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by legbuh View Post
How do you tell if your Mag Ride is working?

I can't tell any difference between normal and sport. It's a 13 with about 30k miles on it.

On bigger bumps it seems a little clunky.
Jump on the freeway at 70 mph at normal switch to race you will feel the struts rapidly adjusting and the sensitivity of the steering wheel increase. That only confirms the struts are working but doesn’t confirm what shape they are in.
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 03:07 PM   #4
legbuh

I try them all different times.. the roads here in MN are everything from smooth to bumpy. I can't tell one iota of difference between the modes.. I don't hear or feel anything either.
Old 07-22-2020, 03:34 PM   #5
ZMEnow

Quote:
I try them all different times.. the roads here in MN are everything from smooth to bumpy. I can't tell one iota of difference between the modes.. I don't hear or feel anything either.
If you are quickly moving the wheel back and forth above 45mph in Ptm 5 race and cannot tell a difference over norm, then it’s not working.
Old 07-22-2020, 03:45 PM   #6
legbuh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMEnow View Post
If you are quickly moving the wheel back and forth above 45mph in Ptm 5 race and cannot tell a difference over norm, then it’s not working.
It's a vert, so no ptm5. Just normal, sport and then.. what is that when you hold it down for 5 seconds... that one.

What type of difference should you feel? Mushy to stiff?
Old 07-22-2020, 05:30 PM   #7
mjsmith75

Drives: 2014 ZL1 - White M6
Hey..Im in MN too. Don't think about the steering feel at all, that's just an adjustment to the electric steering feel, not related to mag ride.

If you want to feel a difference.....as you are driving, start in tour, then go to sport. You should feel the car start to go a little more firm...mine bounces a little as it gets stiffer, it's quite noticeable.

When you go to PTM 5 (race mode) you should feel that same bounce, but it will get much firmer over bumps than sport.
mjsmith75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 06:57 PM   #8
ZMEnow

Quote:
It's a vert, so no ptm5. Just normal, sport and then.. what is that when you hold it down for 5 seconds... that one.

What type of difference should you feel? Mushy to stiff?

I did not see that you had a vert, totally different cars. But you should still notice a difference in the two modes, but the car was not designed to emulate PTM5.
Old 07-22-2020, 10:38 PM   #9
legbuh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMEnow View Post
I did not see that you had a vert, totally different cars. But you should still notice a difference in the two modes, but the car was not designed to emulate PTM5.
Sorry. I should have mentioned. either way, I feel no difference in any setting.. but I haven't really tested if the steering gets tighter. Just the ride doesn't change.
Old 07-23-2020, 05:32 AM   #10
Brutale arancia

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro
Quote:
As a novice to mag ride I didn't see the difference at first. For me a rough road (patched potholes) in tour, then the same pass in sport made it more obvious. Now? The harder you drive it, the more obvious it is.
Brutale arancia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 10:40 AM   #11
FasNuf

Drives: 2014 Camaro ZL1
Definately a difference thats easy to notice especially on a somewhat bumpy road. touring is smooth. flip right to track or sport and the car will oscillate much faster to the bumps.
Check to see if your shocks are leaking and the electrical connections. There should be a code if its not working right.
FasNuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 09:45 PM   #12
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
Where in MN are you? As mentioned above; if you switch between the sport and tour mode in a steady state driving you can feel the car oscillate very quickly up and down before settling into the mode.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 08:27 AM   #13
legbuh

I'm in the Mankato area. My ZL1 is a convertible.. not sure if that makes any difference.

I honestly don't feel (or hear) anything when pushing the buttons while driving. I scanned for codes and didn't get anything. I had the car up on my Quick Jack this spring and wheels off and didn't notice any leaking.
Old 08-10-2020, 08:33 AM   #14
legbuh

Here's a thought I had. I have noticed a few subtle changes the PO did to the car. K&N CAI, the exhaust switch, aftermarket radio..

Is there any way or reason that the mag ride could or would have been disabled, or permanently put into a certain mode? The buttons do light up when pressed, I just really don't feel any difference with any mode. I haven't tried the launch control yet either.