Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 10-16-2023, 06:52 PM   #1
talcazar

Drives: 5th Gen Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
2012 ZL1 Supercharger Rattle

I have owned this ZL1 for a few years and started noticing a weird noise/rattle coming from the supercharger some months ago. I understand that is a common issue with this supercharger. I have a couple of questions regarding this issue:
¿Which part should I replace to fix this and where can I buy it?
¿Is the engine or supercharger in risk of suffering any major problem because of this?

Here is a video of the noise: https://youtube.com/shorts/R0w7UNjqym0

The car has 20.000 miles approximately.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
talcazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2023, 07:08 PM   #2
bsn

Drives: 2013 ZL1
You need to change to a solid isolator get one from Lingenfeltor or another quality supplier, some of the ones on Ebay and Amazon are junk. Driving the car as is won't do any damage except for putting a groove in the input shaft-strictly cosmetic.
bsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2023, 11:34 PM   #3
Bigtime53

I see you have been told it would not hurt it but I was told different. My car started the noise also and I was lucky enough to get it replaced under warranty just before the time was up. I don't believe it would hurt anything if you just noticed the noise but I sure would not continue driving it very far until you got it fixed. Just my two cents.
Bigtime53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 06:52 AM   #4
bsn

Bigtime53
What damage will the groove do? The center shaft protrusion is only there to center the pulley it will never get deep enough to cut the shaft in half. The snout bearing is sealed so the bearing won't get contaminated.

Did you ever check the replacement supercharger to see if it was solid or spring loaded? My money is that it is spring loaded as Eaton feels that the dampening action is worth the extra cost of a spring loaded unit. The reason the originals rattle is because the damper was put in dry, the replacements are packed with grease. In fact if the OP were to pack his existing coupler with grease the rattle would magically disappear-this issue is way overblown.
Old 10-17-2023, 07:08 PM   #5
talcazar

Drives: 5th Gen Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
Thanks for the quick response!
Other than Lingenfelter (shipping options they have to Chile are very expensive), which other suppliers do you recommend?
talcazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 08:46 PM   #6
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by talcazar View Post
Thanks for the quick response!
Other than Lingenfelter (shipping options they have to Chile are very expensive), which other suppliers do you recommend?
Jannetty racing.

https://jannettyracing.com/products/...arger-isolator
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 02:21 PM   #7
Bigtime53

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsn View Post
Bigtime53
What damage will the groove do? The center shaft protrusion is only there to center the pulley it will never get deep enough to cut the shaft in half. The snout bearing is sealed so the bearing won't get contaminated.

Did you ever check the replacement supercharger to see if it was solid or spring loaded? My money is that it is spring loaded as Eaton feels that the dampening action is worth the extra cost of a spring loaded unit. The reason the originals rattle is because the damper was put in dry, the replacements are packed with grease. In fact if the OP were to pack his existing coupler with grease the rattle would magically disappear-this issue is way overblown.
I will tell you right now I am not a certified mechanic so all I can go from is I have had two builders tell me that if not replaced it can cause engine damage. I did not want to drive it with it making the noise anyway until it was repaired. To answer your question no I have not checked to see what was installed on it. I drove it one time since it has been repaired and did not think to look and see. Right now it is in my garage with the car cover on it so I will check when I get time and let you know.
Bigtime53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2023, 03:51 PM   #8
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
I replaced my own.

The noise is still there rather it's a solid or spring loaded isolator.

But at least the spring loaded one wont wear a groove and make metal shavings on the super charger impeller shaft like the OEM ones do.
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2023, 03:56 PM   #9
567chevy

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Quote:
You need to change to a solid isolator get one from Lingenfeltor or another quality supplier, some of the ones on Ebay and Amazon are junk. Driving the car as is won't do any damage except for putting a groove in the input shaft-strictly cosmetic.
I beg to differ about driving the car with the isolator springs grinding a groove in the input shaft!! Where do they metal filings go? They don't vanish into thin air.
They end up in the oil pan and get pumped throughout the oiling system tearing out bearings, pistons etc leading to engine failure.
567chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2023, 04:08 PM   #10
567chevy

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Quote:
Bigtime53

False information. Everyone knows that when you have metal on metal wear ( isolator spring on input shaft) the metal filings end up in the oil pan and end up being pumped through the engine tearing up rod main bearings pistons etc etc. It may be too late already for a lot of engines, even after gm replaces the supercharger under their TSB # 15-06-01-003A
The question you want to ask gm if the replacement supercharger has been modified prevent this engine failure.
567chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2023, 05:38 PM   #11
bsn

How in the world would the filings get in the oil pan? The replacement supercharger is the exact same identical unit as what it is replacing with the exception of grease added to the coupler. Please elaborate how the LSA engines are failing due to a small groove worn in the input shaft. Don't join a forum and your first two post are a double post showing you have no idea what your talking abut!
Old 12-11-2023, 05:04 PM   #12
bsn

I have sent a few private messages to 567chevy to explain his views-there has been no response and hasn't been back since 12/03 seems like another pretender that joins a forum has no clue what they are talking about and disappears.

Tags
issue, noise, rattle, supercharger, zl1