#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 09-01-2023, 03:11 PM   #1
Speedysteve77

Drives: 23 Camaro ZL1 1LE
GM Carbon Ceramic Upgrade

Hi Folks,
I've been preparing to do a full carbon ceramic brake "upgrade" on my ZL1 1LE. Before people start saying you don't need it and the factory brakes are great as is (which I agree they are great).... Its not a matter of needing it, its a matter of wanting it. Plus you cant say they wont look totally bada#! on the car.....
Anyways, I've been piecing together this upgrade using all factory GM parts from several different vehicles including 15 Z/28 and various C6/C7 ZR1's. Looking to see if folks are interested in detailed pictures, weight differences on the components, and install videos before i physically start the process. If folks are, I will spend the time to capture everything in detail, if not, no biggie and I will go on my merry way. I know a few folks have done this and I've been sorta spit balling everything I have seen and read. Again my intent is to use all factory GM (Brembo) parts and not "modify" any of my existing factory parts on the vehicle. The final outcome will be 394mm front discs and 390 rear. I will also be doing a few added personal touches for aesthetics.....
16 BMW 535xi
05 Pontiac GTO 6MT
88 Ford Thunderbird TC
87 Buick GN
Speedysteve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 03:26 PM   #2
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
I get that you want it and it does look badass... the only thing I would add is that in my humble opinion the most badass looking and performing brake upgrade for a ZLE is the AP Big Brake kit from Essex. That is a true racing brake system that will out-brake a GT3 RS and uses 1" thick pads, and you have some pad choices. If you run Ferodo DS 1.11 they have great bite cold just like stock pads, I've heard CCB can be sketchy cold on streets.

I don't know what an OEM CCB system will cost you, but if it's similar to the AP BBK you might look into that one too. The calipers look badass, and with the nickel plate option they supposedly clean up very easily...

https://www.essexparts.com/ap-racing...maro-gen-6-enp
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 03:38 PM   #3
Speedysteve77

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFV1LE View Post
I get that you want it and it does look badass... the only thing I would add is that in my humble opinion the most badass looking and performing brake upgrade for a ZLE is the AP Big Brake kit from Essex. That is a true racing brake system that will out-brake a GT3 RS and uses 1" thick pads, and you have some pad choices. If you run Ferodo DS 1.11 they have great bite cold just like stock pads, I've heard CCB can be sketchy cold on streets.

I don't know what an OEM CCB system will cost you, but if it's similar to the AP BBK you might look into that one too. The calipers look badass, and with the nickel plate option they supposedly clean up very easily...

Thanks for the info. I am not doing it for the "performance" or to track the car. The essex parts kit cost for the front only is slightly cheaper than me doing both front and rear CCB and IMO just does not have the sick look of the CCB setups. I just really love the ceramic look and want to push the car more into a "exotic" look. Again its not because the car needs it, its because i want it. I'm sure everyone has opinions on brakes here, but i was really only asking folks if they were interested in me capturing all the details and publishing here. There is just something about carbon ceramic brakes and carbon fiber that tickles my fancy, and that is the look i am after on the vehicle.
16 BMW 535xi
05 Pontiac GTO 6MT
88 Ford Thunderbird TC
87 Buick GN
Old 09-01-2023, 03:47 PM   #4
sr71bb

Drives: 2019 Camaro Z-28
Quote:

OK I have the AP racing front brake kit on my car and the one thing you have to be aware of is that on the HEAVY DUTY version on the 9668A calipers that use D62 width pads, the pad selection is limited to ONLY DS 3.12 Ferodos and DS 2500 Ferodos. 1.11s are NOT available in the D62 radial width pad nor is anything else that I am aware of. I track my car 3 times a month and this system is SUPERIOR to carbon ceramic as you mentioned.
https://youtu.be/c9M5UHDftcA
4-15-23 at SCCA TT U1 Class

MEGA Thread on THIS car:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=602092

Retired Cars BELOW:
1973 Camaro, 1969 Camaro, 1969 Camaro SS RS
2010 Camaro SS with 1000HP F1R, 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
sr71bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 03:52 PM   #5
CalgaryZL1

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedysteve77 View Post
Thanks for the info. I am not doing it for the "performance" or to track the car. The essex parts kit cost for the front only is slightly cheaper than me doing both front and rear CCB and IMO just does not have the sick look of the CCB setups. I just really love the ceramic look and want to push the car more into a "exotic" look. Again its not because the car needs it, its because i want it. I'm sure everyone has opinions on brakes here, but i was really only asking folks if they were interested in me capturing all the details and publishing here. There is just something about carbon ceramic brakes and carbon fiber that tickles my fancy, and that is the look i am after on the vehicle.
Hey, if you got the cabbage fill your boots! I can’t wait to see the pictures, I think it would look deadly. Nothing wrong with trying to build a North American supercar. And you need to take criticism from this site with a grain of salt.
CalgaryZL1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 06:02 PM   #6
SFV1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryZL1 View Post
Hey, if you got the cabbage fill your boots! I can’t wait to see the pictures, I think it would look deadly. Nothing wrong with trying to build a North American supercar. And you need to take criticism from this site with a grain of salt.
I think it was clear but just in case, I was not criticizing. I was only sharing info on what was my favorite BBK upgrade. The OEM CCB is definitely a nice upgrade.
Old 09-01-2023, 06:13 PM   #7
SFV1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr71bb View Post
OK I have the AP racing front brake kit on my car and the one thing you have to be aware of is that on the HEAVY DUTY version on the 9668A calipers that use D62 width pads, the pad selection is limited to ONLY DS 3.12 Ferodos and DS 2500 Ferodos. 1.11s are NOT available in the D62 radial width pad nor is anything else that I am aware of. I track my car 3 times a month and this system is SUPERIOR to carbon ceramic as you mentioned.
Thanks for the info, I bet using 3.12 on track and 2500 on street would be a good combo--I'm curious, how long does a 1" set of 3.12 last?

If they made 3.12 for the OEM ZL1 brakes I'd run those, I ran 1.11 and loved them.
Old 09-01-2023, 06:14 PM   #8
CalgaryZL1

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro ZL1
Quote:
I think it was clear but just in case, I was not criticizing. I was only sharing info on what was my favorite BBK upgrade. The OEM CCB is definitely a nice upgrade.
Hey, I am not saying you criticized, I loved your response. I’m just saying
CalgaryZL1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 08:52 PM   #9
GreenZLE

Drives: 2020 Rally Green ZL1-1LE
I think CC's are a great idea and I bet they'll look great!

I bet you wont miss washing your wheels all the time a bit. Thats the biggest downfall of the stock brakes, they create ridiculous amounts of brake dust.
GreenZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 08:54 PM   #10
Speedysteve77

Nope i didnt look at any of this as criticism. I understand brakes and that there are potentially "better" performing systems than CCB for our vehicles, however i was not looking for that here. I made my decision to do CCB on mine and am not concerned about tracking the vehicle. Just wanted to build a bad looking system utilizing factory GM Brembo components. Always loved the look of CCB and have no concerns with performance on the street application. I really was only looking to see if folks were interested in detailed write ups, breakdowns and videos of the installation. That's really the only reason i was posting, not to get opinions on different systems and the performance differences.

I can say 1 thing, the cost for the essex kit front and rear will far exceed the cost i am spending on the CCB upgrade i am doing by at least $4K, maybe more.
16 BMW 535xi
05 Pontiac GTO 6MT
88 Ford Thunderbird TC
87 Buick GN
Old 09-01-2023, 09:57 PM   #11
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
I have DYI CC brakes on my ZLE.

Looks cool, performance is on par with stock steel rotors. I could achieve same level of initial bite with more aggressive pads than stock.

Can i tell difference in weight ( performance) ? nope. Unfortunately with black wheels.. it's hardly noticeable.
Attached Images

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 11:29 AM   #12
Nataphen

Drives: None
I’m interested. A CCB conversion plus some forged wheels would be 80-90lbs. saved in just wheels and brakes. I know that will be a felt difference on my terrible roads.
Nataphen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 08:52 PM   #13
Camfab

Drives: ‘23 ZL1-1LE
Speedy I'd love to see and hear about all the details. I have the copper free brakes which are the larger front rotors, I believe similar to the Blackwing. Then there's the parking brake.... Bring it on!
Camfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2023, 08:58 AM   #14
HypeBlueZL1

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
I'd love as much detail as OP can provide, especially part numbers involved. I'd be interested in doing this to my ZL1 as well.
HypeBlueZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote