Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-01-2009, 11:04 PM   #85
Mosher

Drives: 1LT Cruze Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edrock View Post
This is the way I look at it. Maybe this will help. Let's say you invent something, patent it, put your name on it (1camaro70), and sell it with a warranty. With that warranty, you are telling the customer that bought your product that 1camaro70 will pay out of his/her pocket to fix/replace the product that the customer purchased if it develops problems within a certain amount of time. Now think about that for a moment and let that sink in. Pretend this is actually true and 1camaro70 is financially responsible for repairing/replacing the product that was sold to the customer....................OK. $10 says, 1camaro70 is gonna put tons of stipulations in this warranty to also protect himself/herself. I would certainly hope that 1camaro70 would not agree to fix/repair anything on the product that he/she did not design, create, test the piss out of until it was at least 99.99% effective, tried, and true themselves. I'm sure 1camaro70 would be damned if he/she was going to foot the bill for something that Edrock designed to enhance 1camaro70's product when Edrock is not affiliated with 1camaro70 whatsoever. It's not about what the enhancement does to the product, but all about the $ and who is responsible for paying for the repair/replacement. If 1camaro70 also offered similar enhancements that caused problems, should 1camaro70 be responsible, absolutely, because 1camaro70 is customer focused and stands behind THEIR products using THEIR R&D, THEIR design, and THEIR $ to get it to market. Why would 1camaro70 be responsible when the enhancement that was installed that caused the problem was designed and created by Edrock, Acme, or anybody else for that matter? I would say absolutely not.

Did that help?
Probably won't listen... but absolutely spot on.
Mosher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 12:09 AM   #86
rtcage

Drives: 2010 2SSRS RJT
Yep, most people are pretty naive about this stuff. The other big reason is product liability. If GM warranties it, they are in effect endorsing it. If the engine blows up on the highway and sends the car crashing into a family of four in a minivan GM doesn't want to be on the hook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edrock View Post
This is the way I look at it. Maybe this will help. Let's say you invent something, patent it, put your name on it (1camaro70), and sell it with a warranty. With that warranty, you are telling the customer that bought your product that 1camaro70 will pay out of his/her pocket to fix/replace the product that the customer purchased if it develops problems within a certain amount of time. Now think about that for a moment and let that sink in. Pretend this is actually true and 1camaro70 is financially responsible for repairing/replacing the product that was sold to the customer....................OK. $10 says, 1camaro70 is gonna put tons of stipulations in this warranty to also protect himself/herself. I would certainly hope that 1camaro70 would not agree to fix/repair anything on the product that he/she did not design, create, test the piss out of until it was at least 99.99% effective, tried, and true themselves. I'm sure 1camaro70 would be damned if he/she was going to foot the bill for something that Edrock designed to enhance 1camaro70's product when Edrock is not affiliated with 1camaro70 whatsoever. It's not about what the enhancement does to the product, but all about the $ and who is responsible for paying for the repair/replacement. If 1camaro70 also offered similar enhancements that caused problems, should 1camaro70 be responsible, absolutely, because 1camaro70 is customer focused and stands behind THEIR products using THEIR R&D, THEIR design, and THEIR $ to get it to market. Why would 1camaro70 be responsible when the enhancement that was installed that caused the problem was designed and created by Edrock, Acme, or anybody else for that matter? I would say absolutely not.

Did that help?
rtcage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 06:35 AM   #87
Halltech

Drives: 2010 Halltech Camaro SS, 2008 C6Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmag21 View Post
Any modification added to the vehicle technically can't void the warranty. Nothing voids the warranty unless something YOU installed is PROVEN to harm what you want fixed or repaired under the warranty. They can say yeah yeah it'll be gone- but like if you had like a window problem/seat belt problem/oil change/any problem that is not from a modification they must fix it under warranty unless proven to cause the problem.

I bet those exhausts are crap anyways. Screw the warranty its a joke. Heard the phrase you gotta pay to play? Lol. But really, i wouldnt be worried about warranty issues with bolt ons; even foreign ones. The only thing that may cause them to be like what the hell no more warranty is like an ECU tune or a torque converter. im getting both so i dont care about warranty. How long u plan on keepin car for
Exactly correct. We have intake systems installed by GM dealers all over the country in their service departments. Intakes cannot void your warranty, unless somehow they were involved in an engine problem. Since you have the right to choose whichever air filter you want for your car, dealers cannot void the warranty for your choice. Period.

We have been selling intake systems since 1999, with over 12,000 intakes sold and never had one warranty issue.
Halltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 08:50 AM   #88
GEN-IV
Right Cam

Drives: 2010 LS3 / 79 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super83Z View Post
Agreed why doesn't everyone just run out and rack up 100K miles then do whatever the hell you want after that.

Stop blameing GM for wanting to void warranties. They are a buisness that has a marginal profit on each car. They don't want to be spending money because some idiot messed up a car that GM has to warranty for 100K miles.
Exactly, why should GM warranty someone's tuning experiments?

If you decide to modify your car, take responsibility for the results of your actions, don't expect GM to pay for it.

More than likely, they will not void your warranty unless you obviously caused a failure.