Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 02-25-2011, 12:19 AM   #15
ViperTomcat
Banned

Drives: 2011 Avenger Heat
Considering the Z06 can just tickle 200...

My guess is 190 or so.
ViperTomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:41 AM   #16
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I really hope they don't limit it. The technology seems to be there, and top speed is always a nice bragging right, lol.

I think it's pretty safe to make some assumptions for a few of the mechanicals:
  • *Transmission gear ratios (MG9)
    CTS-V
    *Rear end ratio

I was going to add ZR1 but that gearset is different (aside from the fact it's a different box I believe since it's transaxle). I think it's relatively safe to assume these ratios; I have nothing to back that up, yet, though.

According to pretty cool calculator site if I enter these mechanical values, the theoretical top speed in 6th gear is an unachievable 222 MPH, lol. Top speed in 5th gear is "only" 175, and we know CTS-Vs top speed for the manual transmission is more than 190 MPH, so I think it's safe to say it used 6th and just ran out of power. I didn't bother looking of the Cd of the car because I think there could be a substaintial diffference because of the aero' tricks for ZL1, so I just didn't bother. I'm even more thinking mid-180s is pretty reasonable, given more power, and with these assumptions.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 11:13 AM   #17
DevilKnightFalcon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS
Send a message via AIM to DevilKnightFalcon Send a message via Yahoo to DevilKnightFalcon
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
I really hope they don't limit it. The technology seems to be there, and top speed is always a nice bragging right, lol.

I think it's pretty safe to make some assumptions for a few of the mechanicals:
  • *Transmission gear ratios (MG9)
    CTS-V
    *Rear end ratio

I was going to add ZR1 but that gearset is different (aside from the fact it's a different box I believe since it's transaxle). I think it's relatively safe to assume these ratios; I have nothing to back that up, yet, though.

According to pretty cool calculator site if I enter these mechanical values, the theoretical top speed in 6th gear is an unachievable 222 MPH, lol. Top speed in 5th gear is "only" 175, and we know CTS-Vs top speed for the manual transmission is more than 190 MPH, so I think it's safe to say it used 6th and just ran out of power. I didn't bother looking of the Cd of the car because I think there could be a substaintial diffference because of the aero' tricks for ZL1, so I just didn't bother. I'm even more thinking mid-180s is pretty reasonable, given more power, and with these assumptions.
It will be electronically limited based on the components of the car. The reason the SS is restricted to 155 is because that is what the components are rated at even though the car is technically capable of going faster.

MBRP Catback/Magnaflow Resonated X/Airraid V2 CAI/Dash ABL/Interior LEDs/Custom Paint/Jet Coated American Racing LT Headers/High Flow cats/Trifecta Tune
DevilKnightFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 11:22 AM   #18
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilKnightFalcon View Post
It will be electronically limited based on the components of the car. The reason the SS is restricted to 155 is because that is what the components are rated at even though the car is technically capable of going faster.
Which components? I'm just curious I'm mostly rationalizing my speculation based completely on their hype of the aero' tricks, because most of that stuff doesn't really begin to effect the car until, what, like above 120 MPH or something? But, again, I have nothing to support my stance, where you probably do.

Just speculating

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 02-25-2011, 02:05 PM   #19
porcupinekiller

Drives: 2010 GT500
Quote:
Which components? I'm just curious I'm mostly rationalizing my speculation based completely on their hype of the aero' tricks, because most of that stuff doesn't really begin to effect the car until, what, like above 120 MPH or something? But, again, I have nothing to support my stance, where you probably do.

Just speculating
I'm pretty sure the top speed is limited to what the tires are speed rated at.
At 250 mph the tires on the Bugatti Veyron will only last 15 min.!!!
porcupinekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:14 PM   #20
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by porcupinekiller View Post
I'm pretty sure the top speed is limited to what the tires are speed rated at.
At 250 mph the tires on the Bugatti Veyron will only last 15 min.!!!
It looks like the F1 G2s are rated at 186+ while the OEM SS tires are rated to the same, too...

Don't you have to replace the wheels on Veyron, too, after like 20K miles?! Maybe that was an rumor, lol.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 02-25-2011, 05:15 PM   #21
CoolestCamaro873
The Road's A Bad Joke...

Drives: '12 Camaro SS
No reason to think it won't be the same as the CTS-V with 6-Speed Manual Trans: 191 mph! Incase they make it a little slower it should def do 180 mph!
Old 02-25-2011, 05:24 PM   #22
n!ght r!der
That Guy

Drives: really good
700mph. I mean 190ish
n!ght r!der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:42 PM   #23
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolestCamaro873 View Post
No reason to think it won't be the same as the CTS-V with 6-Speed Manual Trans: 191 mph! Incase they make it a little slower it should def do 180 mph!
Actually, there are 3 reasons to think it might be different:
  • different size (though this is probably less than half a square foot different in cross section)
  • different coefficient of drag
  • different engine output
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:08 PM   #24
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 11:48 PM   #25
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
Quote:
Since GM is really pushing the aero' tweaks for downforce, that leads me to believe ZL1 will reach high top speeds and operate comfortably at high speed. I'm thinking a top speed of 178. I'm a little concerned because of the 3.73s maybe cutting 5th gear a little short and that 6th is too tall to pull to top speed.

What do you think?
I don't think the ZL1 will go any faster than an SS would with a supercharger.
The top speed is simply based on factors like the RPM, Torque and speed limiters set on the engine. For example, the SS top speed is 155mph. That tops speed has nothing to do with anything other than the fact that that is what the limiter is set to.
With the limiter off, and the pedal to the metal with the LS3 engine the speed will continue to increase as long as the RPM's keep increasing as well. Add some forged internals and some accessories to the heads and away you go.
I'm already making 550hp. at the crank of my SS with a few mods. (no SC yet), which is what the ZL1 is rated at right now. So, realistically, the ZL1 is no faster than what I have now.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:06 AM   #26
Autobots
Roll out!

Drives: 2010 ss/rs ls3
After the zl1 comes out, salt flats would be a good place to open it up
Old 02-26-2011, 07:12 AM   #27
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
  • different size (though this is probably less than half a square foot different in cross section)
Was looking for someone to point out that it isn't just Cd, it's Cd*A.

A 1/2 square foot can be sizable, just not likely between two comparable size cars.

I believe the force equation is something like F = .5*Cd*p*A*V^2

p is the density of air.

You can see the force required goes up with the squrare of velocity.

And this is merely the Force to push the object through the air. You also have to overcome rolling resistance which if you have wider tires and more down force as well as more mass, you will also add to the Force required to move the vehicle.

All that being said, I couldn't possibly guess.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:56 AM   #28
CoolestCamaro873
The Road's A Bad Joke...

Drives: '12 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post

I understand exactly what you are saying. But, my point was that the CTS-V performance is something we may be able to use to sort of measure where the ZL1 may stack up performance wise. Someone pointed out that an SS with no limiter hit in the 170's mph top speed. I have no reason to believe that if GM can get the whale of a CTS-V to go 191 mph they can figure out how to make the ZL1 do the same. With the amount of time it took to get this car ready for production, I'm hoping the R&D department did their homework on this stuff! LOL