Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-10-2015, 07:40 AM   #29
RenegadeXR

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
The SS has a sound-tube, which provides a path for 'natural' engine sounds to enter the cabin. No 'artificial' trickery via speakers to my knowledge.
That what I was assuming, but wasn't sure. All this talk as of late about artificial engine noise through speakers has left me somewhat wary of this stuff. If it's natural, then fine.
RenegadeXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 07:51 AM   #30
Cody6.2

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS
My 2014 Mustang GT has one of these and can't say I even notice.
Cody6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:17 AM   #31
ChefBorOzzy

Drives: 2016 F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody6.2 View Post
My 2014 Mustang GT has one of these and can't say I even notice.
Remove the sound tube and see how much of a noise difference there is for you.
ChefBorOzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:49 AM   #32
Geno

Drives: 2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefBorOzzy View Post
My Genesis Coupe has the sound tube/ sound resonator and unless you floor it, you don't even know it's there. Much like the increased intake sound you get from adding a K&N drop in filter. It goes from the intake post air box to the firewall.
Geno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:49 AM   #33
Geno

Drives: 2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe GT
Quote:
My Genesis Coupe has the sound tube/ sound resonator and unless you floor it, you don't even know it's there. Much like the increased intake sound you get from adding a K&N drop in filter. It goes from the intake, post air box, to the firewall.
Geno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 09:20 AM   #34
Cody6.2

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
I could tell on the trip home from buying it. But after adding FRPP (GT500) mufflers at 150 miles I don't notice unless I bog it at low speeds. In any case after owning a my C6 most cars stock intake noise seems quiet.
Cody6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 11:23 AM   #35
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
Thought this was kinda odd on the mustang. Can't say I feel any different now.

My car will have aftermarket exhaust and cai after a year then it will be gone.
ULTRAZLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 11:33 AM   #36

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
My understanding was this sound enhancement business was only going to be on the new Turbo-4, and enhanced through the speakers as well....

Why would the Camaros with the adjustable exhaust, stealth to wild, need this?....

I hope the new 8's and 6's don't come with any of this modified cabin sound business, through the speakers or otherwise....What's the point of different sounding exhaust systems, then?....(And besides, that tube looks terrible in the engine bay)....
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 11:55 AM   #37

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Asked Tech if he could pop the hood. And saw a large white tube connected to the air intake. Asked Tech what that was for. He describes it as a sound enhancer for interior. It pipes noise directly from the inside of the air intake over to the cabin through the firewall. He also explained that it pulls air out of the cabin helping interior ventilation when the windows are closed ... the air is sucked directly into the engine via that same tube.

Pictures -
View from front of car showing white tube connected to air intake:

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x576 and weights 122KB.

Wow...A "Tech" said it pipes in noise, and pulls air out of the cabin for better ventilation when the windows are up.....You gotta be kidding me....M-I-C-K-E-Y-M-O-U-S-E....
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 02:52 PM   #38
BahamaTodd

Drives: 08 Accord V6/M6 / 04 Canyon Z71
When they say "ventilation for when the windows are up" they mean when closing the door. On other coupes the window is lowered slightly to equalize the pressure in the cabin so the door can close without resistance.

If there is in fact some kind of diaphragm in the tube it might be flexible enough to allow the interior pressure to be partly dissipated through the tube without requiring an open path for air to flow.
BahamaTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 02:59 PM   #39
joemosfet

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BahamaTodd View Post
On other coupes the window is lowered slightly to equalize the pressure in the cabin so the door can close without resistance
On both the Corvette and the Camaro, the window goes slightly down when you open the door so that when closed, the window goes up under the rubber seal. Nothing to do with air pressure.

This is the same with a family member's Mini, which also employs frameless windows.
2014 Stingray Premiere Edition Coupe #142/500 Z51 3LT M7 Laguna Blue, Magride, NPP, Exposed Carbon Fiber Roof, Carbon Fiber Dash, Suede Wrapped Interior

Canceled: 2016 Camaro Coupe 1AK37 2SS Coupe, G7E Garnet Red, BRJ Adrenaline Red Trim, F55 Magnetic Ride, NPP Exhaust, CF5 Sunroof, 56R Gray Split spoke w/ machined face, RN2 LPO Illuminated Bowtie, VYW Premium Floor Mats, W2D LPO Cargo Net
joemosfet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 03:16 PM   #40
soSincerious
waiting to test drive SS

Drives: '14 mustang GT
Thumbs up

^ couple things on that. windows lowering slightly is a feature of frameless windows to prevent contact with the body, it will then raise into position to make the seal.

second, if they wanted an air relief for the cabin they wouldn't pipe it into the engine. there are provisions on vehicles for trunks to have pressure reliefs, usually found behind the rear bumper cover. all vehicles do have a cabin air relief however, via the HVAC fresh air door.
soSincerious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 03:22 PM   #41
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemosfet View Post
On both the Corvette and the Camaro, the window goes slightly down when you open the door so that when closed, the window goes up under the rubber seal. Nothing to do with air pressure.

This is the same with a family member's Mini, which also employs frameless windows.
This.
Plus, the convertibles have this window dipping feature as well. With the fabric top, this wouldn't be needed if it was for air pressure.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 03:34 PM   #42
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
The SS has a sound-tube, which provides a path for 'natural' engine sounds to enter the cabin. No 'artificial' trickery via speakers to my knowledge.

The turbo4 will have a speaker-based system, though I don't know if its going to be used to cancel bad frequencies or enhance the good ones (or a combination of the two). I also don't remember what, if anything, the V6 will have. I assume that its going to be the same type of system in the turbo4, but maybe with slightly different tuning.
I spent some time talking with an engineer about the sound tube. It's function is to put more engine sound into the cabin. He said the new chassis is quite a bit stiffer and the car itself is much quieter. The tube is to put more engine only sound back into the cockpit. He did not say anything to me about putting air back into the engine. It seems to be a one way tube. All of the cars there where early production models, the Hyper blue and the Silver convertible were hand built models and we were really not even allowed to sit in them. The CTF's should go into production next month. They started the convertible a few times to operate the top and it sounded pretty good. Not ZL1 good, but pretty good. We really won't know how good/bad the sound tube works until the CTF's are out.