Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-24-2018, 06:30 AM   #1
Rayfield

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS
Small Issue at the Gas Pump

Apologies if this has been covered, I did search before posting, but maybe I searched with the wrong terms. When I go to fill this car ('18 2SS) at my local filling station, using the capless setup as directed in the manual, the sensor in the nozzle seems to shut off well before the tank is actually full. If it's obvious that it's not there yet, I'll start it back up, of course, but as it gets closer, I don't want to do that. Any tips on how to make sure you get a full tank of gas?

Or am I the only one with the issue? 36 years of driving, and I can't pump gas..
Rayfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 06:42 AM   #2
mdhopt36

Drives: '17- 1ag37 V6 traded, for 1SS 2018!
Huh.
BTW, welcome!
I have so far (3 weeks since purchase) haven't had the same issue.
Every time it pops off, the gauge is right on the full mark. As I fill it, I can hear a slight change as if the tank is close to being full up.
Would it be the nozzle? Change gas stations/pumps?
mdhopt36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 07:20 AM   #3
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro
There needs to be some empty space in the tank and filler for the EVAP system to work properly. When it kicks off, stop filling the tank. Do not keep topping it off. I'm pretty sure the manual tells you this also.
Nsxmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 07:27 AM   #4
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Turn the pump upside down.....or....find a new station....not all pumps have the same trigger/stop
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 07:45 AM   #5
Rayfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsxmatt View Post
There needs to be some empty space in the tank and filler for the EVAP system to work properly. When it kicks off, stop filling the tank. Do not keep topping it off. I'm pretty sure the manual tells you this also.
If I don't restart it after it quits the first time, I'll get 1/3 of a tank of gas, so clearly that's not the issue.

I believe I've had the phenomenon happen at 2 different stations, nearby..my first thought was that it might be a defective sensor at that particular pump...but seems unlikely when it keeps happening at different places.
Old 04-24-2018, 07:48 AM   #6
Jim50thSS

Drives: 50th SS Convertible
I have had similar issues at two different stations. It's not that it goes off early, just before its full, it goes off almost as soon as I start pumping when on empty. I just keep at it and I don't do a complete fill up.
Jim50thSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 08:14 AM   #7
Cgocifer

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE, 2015 RAM Ecodiesel
Shove it in there all the way!
Cgocifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 08:58 AM   #8
Rayfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgocifer View Post
Shove it in there all the way!
That's what she said!

Seriously though, maybe I need to push the nozzle in there with more authority? I'll give it a try..
Old 04-24-2018, 09:03 AM   #9
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdhopt36 View Post
Huh.
BTW, welcome!
I have so far (3 weeks since purchase) haven't had the same issue.
Every time it pops off, the gauge is right on the full mark. As I fill it, I can hear a slight change as if the tank is close to being full up.
Would it be the nozzle? Change gas stations/pumps?
Likewise. I always run mine all the way down and it typically pops off at ~18 gallons.

One time I pushed it so I could get to the station near my house and ended up getting 19 gallons into it. Pretty amazing since it's rates capacity is 19 gallons so I took a picture. I couldn't have gone any further
Attached Images

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 09:13 AM   #10
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
There's a few gas stations in my area where this happens jronically my old neighbor worked for a gas pump service company and i asked him about it he said someone used parts from pre-2008 on the pump to repair the nozzle. They aren't supposed to anymore but it's not illelgal and cheaper then ordering the part new. He said it's fairly common at franchise stations outside of small corporations like shell and conoco and exxonmobil 100% branded stations. Then again this is the same guy who put gasoline into his diesel tractor this winter...

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 09:13 AM   #11
camaromike77

Drives: S O L D
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
Likewise. I always run mine all the way down and it typically pops off at ~18 gallons.

One time I pushed it so I could get to the station near my house and ended up getting 19 gallons into it. Pretty amazing since it's rates capacity is 19 gallons so I took a picture. I couldn't have gone any further
Ha!! That is pretty full!!

From the GM Website:

Fuel Tank Capacity

72 litres / 19 gallons
Borla S-Type exhaust NPP| GM CAI | Color matched GM side skirts | Color matched 3rd brake light | Big Worm Graphics smoked out tail lights & rear reflectors | Oracle ghosted side markers | LED License plate bulbs | Door striker covers | Jam handle | Engine emblems from RiverCity Creations | 50th Center Console | Black bow ties | Hawk Performance ceramic brake pads | ZL1 Start button | CQuartz ceramic paint finish | Novistretch bra | S O L D
camaromike77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 09:18 AM   #12
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
i've had this happen in different cars. I think it's the station pump more than the car. Some are senstive and you have to play around with the nozzle position to get a steady uninterrupted stream.

I haven't had it happen on the Camaro yet. I also let my gas go all the way down before refilling which helps if this ever does occur.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 09:49 AM   #13
Wolvie70

Drives: 2016 2SS, Summit White, A8, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post

Kramer says you had plenty more.

Wolvie70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 10:13 AM   #14
zx9rmal

Drives: '20 ZL1 M6
Perhaps use the slower setting on the handle?
'22 Kawasaki ZX-14R
zx9rmal is offline   Reply With Quote