Bigwormgraphix

Thread Closed

Old 12-06-2017, 08:30 PM   #43
Commando16SS

Drives: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
How widespread is this problem?

Is this issue limited to just the Camaro or is the Corvette also seeing the same problem?

For that matter, is it even limited to the front engine/rear drive cars?

Norm
Based on what my dealer said, it's Silverado's as well. I think any car running a variant of this tranny is affected.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:12 AM   #44
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Wow . . . pretty discouraging for anybody who'd really rather be getting a MT and had to compromise that choice away for any reason.

Is the 10A similarly affected at all, or hasn't it been out long enough for a statistically significant number of problems to have shown up? I'm keeping in mind that if there have been problems with the 10A that Ford's version might be similarly affected.

Norm
Old 12-08-2017, 08:55 AM   #45
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Wow . . . pretty discouraging for anybody who'd really rather be getting a MT and had to compromise that choice away for any reason.

Is the 10A similarly affected at all, or hasn't it been out long enough for a statistically significant number of problems to have shown up? I'm keeping in mind that if there have been problems with the 10A that Ford's version might be similarly affected.

Norm
That remains to be seen. Probably not many ZL1s with a lot of miles on them yet. My issue didn't show up till around 4K miles. Some are at 15K+ before the issue shows. Now that the Mustang has the A10, I'd say by next year we will know if affected too.

Also essentially every car/engine combo with a 8L90 or 8L45 trans seems to have reports of the issue.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
Old 12-08-2017, 10:11 AM   #46
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
I’ve had the problem too in my ‘16 SS A8. It didn’t start until about 12-14k, but progressively got worse. My dealership did the triple drain/flush with a filter change, and that seems to have resolved the shudder (for now), but definitely getting some strange hard 1-2 shifts on occasion now!
Old 12-09-2017, 07:57 AM   #47
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazzin1 View Post
I’ve had the problem too in my ‘16 SS A8. It didn’t start until about 12-14k, but progressively got worse. My dealership did the triple drain/flush with a filter change, and that seems to have resolved the shudder (for now), but definitely getting some strange hard 1-2 shifts on occasion now!
Mine felt good after the flush with only an occasional tiny shudder at ~35 mph. My deal advised that the TC should be replaced after the recommended evaluation mileage. I did and it performs flawlessly now so you should do the same.

My question is... has the problem been solved or is this only a reset and I'll need it again in another ~12k miles?

I'd like to drive this car until the gen7 arrives. If the slip tables (?) need to be altered then do it or let owners do it without voiding the warranty. If that is part of the TC flush/replace, tell us. I want confidence the problem has actually been solved.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
Old 12-10-2017, 08:02 AM   #48
Klayman

Drives: 2017 2SS A8 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
Mine felt good after the flush with only an occasional tiny shudder at ~35 mph. My deal advised that the TC should be replaced after the recommended evaluation mileage. I did and it performs flawlessly now so you should do the same.

My question is... has the problem been solved or is this only a reset and I'll need it again in another ~12k miles?

I'd like to drive this car until the gen7 arrives. If the slip tables (?) need to be altered then do it or let owners do it without voiding the warranty. If that is part of the TC flush/replace, tell us. I want confidence the problem has actually been solved.
That's the whole part about this issue that is irritating....if the flush fixes it....you are good, if not, you need a new TC.....all along hoping it will not come back.

In 5 years when all the warranties are toast....there will be aftermarket companies that will sell kits for the "Infamous A8 shudder issue"...

I'm betting GM will keep the bandaids coming until then......
Old 12-11-2017, 12:14 PM   #49
Strange Flavor

Drives: 17 Fifty SS, 11 2SS, 91 LSX C1500
+1 this is very concerning on a car with less than 1k miles in my case, already shuddering.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:12 AM   #50
SuperSound

So apparently this question will never be answer and we should close the thread.

Old 12-15-2017, 10:11 AM   #51
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
So apparently this question will never be answer and we should close the thread.
What if a true fix has yet to be determined? Would you want an answer that really isn't the answer?

It may still be under investigation and development, which shouldn't be held against its inclusion in some future poll. No need to make a near-duplicate thread later, and have the amount of then-current interest appear to be lower as a result.

Norm
Old 12-15-2017, 10:26 AM   #52
SuperSound

Quote:
What if a true fix has yet to be determined? Would you want an answer that really isn't the answer?

It may still be under investigation and development, which shouldn't be held against its inclusion in some future poll. No need to make a near-duplicate thread later, and have the amount of then-current interest appear to be lower as a result.

Norm
A trans that has been out for over 3 years, affects every model it is installed in, and is consuming lots of GM warranty money should have a cause and fix at this point. With the 10 speed now out, it would give the appearance GM doesn't know how to fix the 8 speed and is just going to phase it out as quickly as possible. Something should be stated at least. As a Camaro owner who has experienced this issue, the lack of information or even admission from GM of the issue is a serious concern. A concern enough that when I'm in a good position to offload this car, I probably will if there has been no confirmed fix at that point. How many others are in the same boat? I mean we aren't talking about a small percentage of cars or a specific model.

But the real issue is if a hot topic item is not valid (at least at this point) for the poll, the mods should state so in the thread vs just picking less popular topics. The M6 bog issue is in the same boat.

Old 12-15-2017, 02:33 PM   #53
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

This is the first time and place I've seen this kind of forum, so I think with no model to follow - either directly or with fixes for any apparent shortcomings first - the people in charge are going to be doing a little stumbling around in the dark (so to speak). It's all uncharted territory at this point.

On the surface, one would think that 3 years should have been enough time to develop a reliable fix, but unfortunately "should have been enough" doesn't constitute a guarantee that it really was enough.

Dare I suggest that arbitrary mandates (i.e. that 55 equivalent mpg fleet average matter) can have the effect of bringing techniques to market before they're fully ready for prime time?

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 12-15-2017 at 02:44 PM.
Old 12-15-2017, 03:22 PM   #54
SuperSound

Quote:
This is the first time and place I've seen this kind of forum, so I think with no model to follow - either directly or with fixes for any apparent shortcomings first - the people in charge are going to be doing a little stumbling around in the dark (so to speak). It's all uncharted territory at this point.

On the surface, one would think that 3 years should have been enough time to develop a reliable fix, but unfortunately "should have been enough" doesn't constitute a guarantee that it really was enough.

Dare I suggest that arbitrary mandates (i.e. that 55 equivalent mpg fleet average matter) can have the effect of bringing techniques to market before they're fully ready for prime time?

Norm
You definitely have some points there. Think what bothers me is the actual poll thread, the mods are avoiding the direct subject as to why this and the M6/TM question were not chosen to be voted on. If they reached out to the Camaro Team to feel out whether they would be valid questions at this time, that should be stated. If a popular question was deemed to be "unanswerable" for the time being, let us know. If it is being bumped for another poll data, then post it in the thread. Don't just select the next questions and hope no one notices, because they do. And it negatively impacts the whole purpose of "Ask AL".

Old 12-15-2017, 03:39 PM   #55
Klayman

Drives: 2017 2SS A8 Black
Quote:

Norm
I believe GM knows full well how to repair (fix) the problem permanently but is limited due to regulatory, legal and actual expense. All really add to expense....it will be cheaper to not admit and correct the issue, bandaid the current transmissions and upgrade transmissions in future models. At the very least they know root cause of the A8 issues.

There are already aftermarket companies offering AFM delete, and TCM tuning along with upgraded torque converters built based on your Camaro requirements.
Old 12-15-2017, 03:41 PM   #56
SoCalThug

Drives: 2012 Summit White 1Ls
Couldn't you just lemon the car after the 3rd attempt of the dealer trying to fix the problem?

Closed Thread