Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-24-2016, 09:01 AM   #1
Gi0vanni2ss

Drives: 2010 2ss Camaro
LS3 tune up

Hey Guys!

A while a go I posted about finding out what type of maintenance to do at 55k and what to look out for, someone recommended I hit the throttle body was some Carburetor cleaner. Any other tips on fuel maintenance, Will any carburetor cleaner work or is there a special bottle out there I should know about. what about additive or any injector treatment? again its only 55K on my 2010 2ss LS3.

Thanks!
Gi0vanni2ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 09:06 AM   #2
Gregss1le
Asskicker

Drives: '15 Camaro Blue Velvet Metallic 1le
Manual or auto car ?

2015 Camaro 1ss 1le
1991 Camaro LsX-not stock
Gregss1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 09:17 AM   #3
NC_SS

Drives: 2012 M6 Camaro SS (RIP)
Uh why would you use carb cleaner on a fuel injected engine, even if it is just the TB?

Fuel treatments are snake oil IMO, but some top tier Shell treated 93 would probably be good to run every now and again.
NC_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 09:18 AM   #4
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregss1le View Post
Manual or auto car ?
LS3, manual.
JLSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 09:53 AM   #5
EFI

Drives: something faster than you
Quote:
Uh why would you use carb cleaner on a fuel injected engine, even if it is just the TB?
Carb cleaner does not work solely on carburators. It's simply a cleaning agent for fuel and oil related deposits. AFAIK, fuel and oil are still used even in today's fuel injected enigne...thus the same carb cleaner works in cleaning today's components. Now whether or not this will fix the OP's issues that's another story.
EFI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 10:02 AM   #6
AppleBomb

Drives: 2013 2LT/RS, 2013 Mustang GT/CS
Quote:
Originally Posted by EFI View Post
Carb cleaner does not work solely on carburators. It's simply a cleaning agent for fuel and oil related deposits. AFAIK, fuel and oil are still used even in today's fuel injected enigne...thus the same carb cleaner works in cleaning today's components. Now whether or not this will fix the OP's issues that's another story.
+1
AppleBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 10:02 AM   #7
Gi0vanni2ss

Drives: 2010 2ss Camaro
thumbs up!
Gi0vanni2ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 10:16 AM   #8
Skillet
Account Suspended

Drives: car
Quote:
Bingo!

Can I use dish soap to wash my hands or do I need to use hand soap?
Skillet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 10:30 AM   #9
OrangeVert
"Catharine"

Drives: '11 2SS/RS LS-3 IOM/IO vert
I'd be careful not to spray carb cleaner in a running engine - heard that could possibly harm O2 sensors. Don't know that for a fact, but would rather err on the side of caution.
Old 02-24-2016, 12:59 PM   #10
NC_SS

Drives: 2012 M6 Camaro SS (RIP)
Quote:
Fair enough, my stock TB looked pretty good at roughly 48,000 miles

NC_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 01:17 PM   #11
Dmpsix

Drives: Black L99 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gi0vanni2ss View Post
Hey Guys!

A while a go I posted about finding out what type of maintenance to do at 55k and what to look out for, someone recommended I hit the throttle body was some Carburetor cleaner. Any other tips on fuel maintenance, Will any carburetor cleaner work or is there a special bottle out there I should know about. what about additive or any injector treatment? again its only 55K on my 2010 2ss LS3.

Thanks!
Hmm... using some lubricant for weatherstripping and all the rubbers isn't a bad idea either

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/1418710...chn=ps&lpid=82
Dmpsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 01:18 PM   #12
Gregss1le
Asskicker

I would pull the TB, give it a good clean over with whatever anyone uses. I use Brake Kleen a couple bucks a can, I also use simple green, cause its safe on aluminum, yet cleans anything. I wouldn't change the plugs unless there is an issues with them. Todays plugs can go 100k without any major problems.

I would also change rear diff fluid, inspect brake/clutch fluid, if its dark and dirty, flush it out. Cabin filter, if equipped, inspect change if needed.

Personally I run a bottle of Marvel's Mystery Oil in all 4 of my vehicles, my boat and my yard tractor. 1-16 bottle to a full tank of gas, (depending of tank size of course) it cleans and lubes injectors, fuel pump and doesnt hurt anything. My 2004 Envoy has over 260k on it and I have used Marvels Oil since after the first summer (original owner)

2015 Camaro 1ss 1le
Old 02-24-2016, 01:22 PM   #13
Gregss1le
Asskicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_SS View Post
Fair enough, my stock TB looked pretty good at roughly 48,000 miles

its the back side that is probably filthy, remove it and clean thoroughly and discount the battery for a little more 20 mins. The throttle will be more responsive and idle a hella lot better. I can tell when my TB on the Envoy is in need of a bath, just by the way it idles. (rough/throttle is sluggish)

2015 Camaro 1ss 1le
Old 02-26-2016, 12:42 AM   #14
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
remove the tb to clean it. the o ring is reusable. Dont know if brake clean will harm the tb sensor. I just use TB cleaner. you can clean the MAF too. You need MAF cleaner to do that. rear diff fluid
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote