Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-24-2016, 12:58 AM   #1
The_Driver
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1LS M6
Smile A 5th gen based Firebird would have been a great model....

Does anyone here wish that GM kept Pontiac instead of Buick?

I have always been a Firebird fan and I think a 5th gen based Firebird Trans Am/Formula would have been a great model to have along with the Camaro. I love my 5th gen Camaro and most Camaros of almost every generation.

I know there is an custom aftermarket Firebird conversion floating out there on the web, but an in-house GM designed effort would have been much better and I have always wondered what that might have looked like.

Does anyone else feel that GM made a big mistake when they got rid of the Pontiac brand?
The_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 01:11 AM   #2
GMTool
MY SS is SOLD

Drives: AGM 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
I would rather see Pontiac than Buick. I read somewhere that it's got something to do with foreign sales. For us here in the good old USA, who needs both Cadillac and Buick. I would have bought a Firebird.
Old 01-24-2016, 01:52 AM   #3
chasmanian

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS
I would have bought a firebird. Most of my previous cars were Pontiac and I had a third gen firebird for years. Loved it. I'll be honest, if I had the money to burn, I'd even do one of the conversion kits.
chasmanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 03:01 AM   #4
songsj

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS Summit White
I've had both and if they made them I would have bought the Firebird
songsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 03:15 AM   #5
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

Drives: 2011 2LTRS Convertible
I was thinking the same thing... No more Firebird. Shame...
Mr. Stacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 03:57 AM   #6
erickangulo

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
It would be awesome, but I think they may have feared competition on the Camaro. But now that they aren't making 5th gens anymore... Maybe they should experiment with making an "inferior/lower cost" Firebird.

Pontiacs had terrible reliability though :(

Buicks were second in the 2015 JD Power's list of most reliable car makes.
erickangulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 05:54 AM   #7
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Driver, this has been a common topic of discussion for a long time here. Buick, worldwide, is a money maker. Pontiac was not. What most people also don't know is that Buick should mean a whole lot more to GM (if GM Corporate actually cared) than Pontiac. Buick was used as the major financial base to found General Motors.

Speaking personally, I had the last hurrah from Pontiac and mine was quite reliable and nothing but fun. We talk of 'permagrin' here on this forum, and it was a term in use by Solstice owners before the 5Gen was even for sale.

But think for a minute: Poncho died in 2009. GM had let it slowly die for a long, long time. No identity at all for years, bloated uninspiring cars, even the (quite good and fun) 2006 GTO looked like a Grand Am that had an aftermarket body kit. By the time the Solstice had rolled around, they had tried to help the identity with a sportscar, in a corporate atmosphere that did not want the Corvette to have competition. That was never going to save Pontiac, even if the car had been the modern equivalent of the first Mustang, and what other notable model had Pontiac created in recent memory? The Aztek? That's not the kind of resume that saves the brand.

Pontiac's demise was a long time coming.
Old 01-24-2016, 06:41 AM   #8
zr1chris

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Absolutely!

zr1chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 06:53 AM   #9
jos3ywales

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro Black
you can get the Firebird Bandit car Kit on the 5th Gen Camaro I have seen them in many colors comapany in Cali makes em
Old 01-24-2016, 06:56 AM   #10
hesster

Drives: '10 C5 SS, '77 Bandit T/A
Being a GM employee and going through the Bankruptcy was not pretty. Something had to go that was not a big contributor to the bottom line, and so went Hummer, Saab, Pontiac and the like. The real money makers are the trucks, far surpassing any car lines. I truly loved the Pontiacs, and being a owner of one, always will. Back when I bought my '77, I wouldn't even think of buying the Camaro, it was bordering on "pathetic", but just an opinion. I think any of these conversions in the Pics would have sold in today's market, but certainly does not justify the rest of the Pontiac brands. (Bottom one is my T/A). I really liked the Z T/A and was considering buying the conversion kit, but sadly they are not in business. I called them recently and they lost their building or something, and said they may fire up again this year if there is any demand. For around $5K you could get the full kit, and panel fit was about as good as most of the other aftermarket stuff out there, except maybe the carbon fiber stuff like Siebon. Sure, you can still have someone like the Hurst conversion do it for you, but why on earth spend that kind of $$ when you could buy a blower, cam, full chassis/suspension mods, and body kit stuff for the same investment?

hesster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 07:07 AM   #11
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
For me, Pontiac was always my favorite line in GM's family of cars. There was always something more special about the Pontiac version of a model than the Chevy version to me. Do I miss Firebird? Deeply.

Smarter people than me have decided it had to go. Now we are forced to buy the lower tier. Oh well.
Life goes on.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 09:03 AM   #12
punk5150

Drives: 2014 SS/RS CRT
Firebirds weren't reliable. I had 3 and the only issue I had was a leaking T Top. I prefer Pontiac over Chevy. I still don't understand why GM couldn't make a retro Firebird and sell it under the GMC brand. If it looks anything like the ones in the pictures it would have sold.
There are a lot of people that weren't old to own/drive a bandit TA when they came out. That market is now in their 30' & 40's and can actually buy one.
Oh well. Happy with my SS but refuse to put on an aftermarket kit and change the car.
punk5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 10:17 AM   #13
Bulldog3071

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Would have also bought a Pontiac
Lakewood Strut Tower Brace, JBA Shorty Headers, JBA 8 MM Wires, Airaid TB Spacer, Phastek CAI Scoop, Washer Bottle Relocation Kit, Stainlees Steel Brake Lines, Brake Performance Slotted and Drilled Rotors, BMR Tunnel Brace, BMR Trailing Arms, BMR Subframe Connectors, Borla ATAK Muffelers, Z28 Wickerbill Spoiler, VTC, Bow Tie Delete, BMR Adjustable Front Swaybar, BMR End Link Kit, BMR Extreme Rear Anti-Roll Kit, Diablo I1000 "InTune"
Bulldog3071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 01:28 PM   #14
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
Driver, this has been a common topic of discussion for a long time here. Buick, worldwide, is a money maker. Pontiac was not. What most people also don't know is that Buick should mean a whole lot more to GM (if GM Corporate actually cared) than Pontiac. Buick was used as the major financial base to found General Motors.

But think for a minute: Poncho died in 2009. GM had let it slowly die for a long, long time. No identity at all for years, bloated uninspiring cars, even the (quite good and fun) 2006 GTO looked like a Grand Am that had an aftermarket body kit. By the time the Solstice had rolled around, they had tried to help the identity with a sportscar, in a corporate atmosphere that did not want the Corvette to have competition. That was never going to save Pontiac, even if the car had been the modern equivalent of the first Mustang, and what other notable model had Pontiac created in recent memory? The Aztek? That's not the kind of resume that saves the brand.

Pontiac's demise was a long time coming.
I both agree & disagree.

Buick is huge in China and that is what saved them. Pontiac was not.

However, in the end Pontiac had a Nice Line-up. The GTO (actually looked like a big Cobalt) was a Great Car. The G-8 I think was a fantastic looking sedan and with the Ls Motor was a screamer. The New Chevy SS is basically an upgraded G-8. Pontiac even had the Holden Ute slated to be in the lineup. Then they had the Solstice ( even made a Hardtop Version).

When the economy took a crap, something had to give. GM had already killed off Oldsmobile so Pontiac, Hummer, Saab and Saturn got the Axe. Should have been GMC in my opinion!
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote