Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-29-2015, 08:16 PM   #1
Silverlsinva

Drives: 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth Grigio
Looking at these used cars for sale any advice?

so i have about $3000 and some change to spend on a used car that i am hoping to last me a few years with little problems cause i know all cars have problems after a lot of years. Here is a list of cars i am currently looking at in my area for sale that are within my price range. If anyone has any advice or experience with any of these i would like to know what your thoughts are. Also if you want to add a car to the list for me to search for i want something less than 150k miles on it. This is why there are no hondas or toyotas on this list cause in my are they all have over that mileage and are $3000 at least.

2000-03 Nissan Maxima Se/Gle i have already test drove one with 135k miles it drove good everything worked no weird smells from it but it did have small rust bubbles from rear quarter wheel well not showing through yet.
2001-2005 Ford Taurus from 100k-140k miles haven test driven yet but i see a ton of them on the road still so thats a good sign i hope. Seems to be a lot of mixed reviews on it online.
2003 Lincoln Ls Sport 113k miles on it great shape from the photos online but it has some bad reviews online but some people seem to have good luck with it so again another mixed reviews on it. I almost want to try my luck with this.

2001 Volvo s70 119k miles this car is only $2k and seems to have pretty good reviews online and is a very save car to boot as well. But since i dont think too many were sold maybe the info isnt out there if this is a good buy or not.

2000 Mazda protege with 134k miles its a manual car from the photos but online description says 4spd auto so prolly a miss print online. This one is $2400

2002 Saturn L100 with 104k miles on it. Looks pretty good shape from photos but dont see any on the road anymore either so not sure what to think.

2003 Chevy Malibu with 97k miles on it. Low miles thats a plus but not sure how good they are in the long haul as this is during the GM maybe good quality cars era.

Sorry for long Thread but i wanted to have a lot of options and i am going to look at some of these Saturday maybe a couple tomarrow if i have time.
Silverlsinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 08:46 PM   #2
roorback

Drives: V8 permagrin
If your state has inspections be sure they are inspected.

I'd go with the Saturn to be honest. I had one with high mileage and really no problems. Otherwise prob the Mazda because they are pretty reliable. The volvo will cost you a ton if anything breaks.
roorback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 10:47 AM   #3
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Look for a Honda, they last forever
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 02:44 PM   #4
Stingray
just can't get enough

Drives: a bunch of fast toys...
Or a Toyota Corolla....
Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 05:52 PM   #5
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
I run a Lease Here Pay Here car lot. The import cars are typically more expensive to repair. The Taurus is not a bad car at all. Parts are cheap and yeah, Ford made a ton of them. When Ford announced that they were discontinuing the model for 2005, a lot of fleet companies wanted the car for one more year and Ford built them for 2006 and that model was not available at Ford dealerships.

After 11 years, I have bought 877 vehicles for our business, and I am very picky. We currently have 24 Taurus's in our inventory. Had very bad luck with the 14 Honda's that we bought from model years 2000-2004.

Good luck with your decision. Some of your cars on your list, I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole. I look at everything from an inventory repair perspective. It takes 2 to 3 years for someone to pay off there car. Sometimes we get the cars back, fix the car back up and sell it again.
Old 10-30-2015, 11:40 PM   #6
Silverlsinva

Thanks for advice everyone and Ragnar which cars were u talking about with the Ten foot pole?
Old 10-31-2015, 11:02 AM   #7
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
Maxima, Lincoln LS, and Volvo. On the Protege that timing belt should have been changed.
Old 11-03-2015, 04:24 PM   #8
Silverlsinva

Thanks i ended up going for the Saturn as the Lincoln was Garbage and the Taurus had Odometer and engine issues. But i did find out the dent on roof near the edge of the windshield lets water on the inside but not until after afew days i bought it when it rained. I hope it wasnt like that for long but otherwise its a good used car.