Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-04-2017, 01:51 PM   #953
ChefBorOzzy

Drives: 2016 F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastCarFanBoy View Post
2 != several...impressive though it may be
I remember when Ford fanboys were claiming 350R was out for 3 years before 2017 ZL1 came out.. 🤣🤣🤣
ChefBorOzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 01:53 PM   #954
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
I also don't find it impressive when this is what Ford should have been doing in the first place. They put out a mediocre GT but threw a crap load of money into the FPC Voodoo which was a disaster and put some expensive CF wheels on the Shelby. And they built the GT so that it could barely hold up even for a 13 sec car and then let the aftermarket do all the work for them instead of designing it right in the first place. And even then you still had to mod the darn thing well beyond voiding the warranty just to keep up. So now for 18 they finally decide to do it the way they should have 3 years ago and everyone is supposed to hoot and holler praises their way? LOL! And even now we still don't know if these runs can be duplicated or any details on the runs. And unless it's been raining ever since that day LMR ran it then there is no reason why they haven't taken it out again for more testing in bone stock unaltered configuration. They aren't THAT busy. So although it is impressive, it's also what they should've been doing all along.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 02:31 PM   #955
FastCarFanBoy
Banned

Drives: 2013 GB GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
I also don't find it impressive when this is what Ford should have been doing in the first place. They put out a mediocre GT but threw a crap load of money into the FPC Voodoo which was a disaster and put some expensive CF wheels on the Shelby. And they built the GT so that it could barely hold up even for a 13 sec car and then let the aftermarket do all the work for them instead of designing it right in the first place. And even then you still had to mod the darn thing well beyond voiding the warranty just to keep up. So now for 18 they finally decide to do it the way they should have 3 years ago and everyone is supposed to hoot and holler praises their way? LOL! And even now we still don't know if these runs can be duplicated or any details on the runs. And unless it's been raining ever since that day LMR ran it then there is no reason why they haven't taken it out again for more testing in bone stock unaltered configuration. They aren't THAT busy. So although it is impressive, it's also what they should've been doing all along.
lets break this down....

for starters they couldnt do this all along because the A10 was still in development when the S550 launched

secondly, from Fords perspective they didnt need to do much to launch the S550 because the Camaro was still on Zeta so they did enough to the motor to keep it from being slower than the S197 , but why invest more money in it than they needed too? Sales boomed.

you complain alot about having to mod cars. I dont know why you have modded both your supercars , but I mod mine because I enjoy it. I get a sense of accomplishment from modding and would mod my car to go faster even if it were the quickest car on the planet.
FastCarFanBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 03:06 PM   #956
z06psi
The pot stirrer

Drives: Cars
Quote:
16, 17, 18...3...3 model years...hence, "several" years.

Former cars
1995 Z28
2000 SS
2002 SS
z06psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 03:10 PM   #957
Chadicus

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
Quote:
lets break this down....

for starters they couldnt do this all along because the A10 was still in development when the S550 launched

secondly, from Fords perspective they didnt need to do much to launch the S550 because the Camaro was still on Zeta so they did enough to the motor to keep it from being slower than the S197 , but why invest more money in it than they needed too? Sales boomed.

you complain alot about having to mod cars. I dont know why you have modded both your supercars , but I mod mine because I enjoy it. I get a sense of accomplishment from modding and would mod my car to go faster even if it were the quickest car on the planet.
Ford should have anticipated the Alpha platform since the ATS was using it already. And the S550 was slower than the S197 anyway (straight line at least).

Now if we start to see these 12.0-12.3 quarter mile runs on the regular then congrats to Ford.

Modding is a controversial issue. Most people are probably intent on keeping their warranties so the fastest car when stock is the "best". But having to mod the S550 to keep pace with the Camaro isn't why I got rid of mine. I got rid of mine because in 3k miles I had: Hood shaking, drivetrain vibrations, clutch replaced under warranty, driveshaft replaced under warranty, A/C condenser replaced. A host of issues that made me drop the car.
Chadicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 03:17 PM   #958
crysalis_01
Iron fist, lead foot

Drives: 2003 Mustang Cobra
Quote:
I believe LMR has already begun modding the car. Suspension stuff mostly, things that will be transferable from the '15-'17's. They mentioned in an IG vid that they were still waiting on tuning options.
Old 11-04-2017, 03:45 PM   #959
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedofsound View Post
Buddy of mine says there's a third 2018 GT being put on the dyno tonight. Let's see what it does.
Not going to update us? I will

Team beefcake dyno the A10 at 389 rwhp. Then let the car cool and did a money pull of 401 rwhp.
Also according to m6g the dyno of which the 2018 m6 GT pulled 437 had a tune only 15 gt showing 460 rwhp. It’s the happiest dyno in the land supposedly

Last edited by ULTRAZLS1; 11-04-2017 at 04:06 PM.
ULTRAZLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 04:20 PM   #960
FastCarFanBoy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTRAZLS1 View Post

Team beefcake dyno the A10 at 389 rwhp. Then let the car cool and did a money pull of 401 rwhp.
Also according to m6g the dyno of which the 2018 m6 GT pulled 437 had a tune only 15 gt showing 460 rwhp. It’s the happiest dyno in the land supposedly
I have paper hanging on a roll in my bathroom that is more useful in determining the output of a 2018 Mustang than the dyno sheet Beefcake posted.
Old 11-04-2017, 04:47 PM   #961
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
Quote:
I have paper hanging on a roll in my bathroom that is more useful in determining the output of a 2018 Mustang than the dyno sheet Beefcake posted.
Extrapolating hp figures from a chassis dyno is ass wiping material in general. Even more so when the cars have different drive trains.

The society of automotive engineers already determined the output for us. 460hp +- 1%
ULTRAZLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 06:12 PM   #962
jmackisback

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
2 != several...impressive though it may be
Over 2, meh.

1987 Camaro V6
1988 Camaro IROC Z
1993 Camaro Z28
1999 Camaro SS
2017 Camaro SS
jmackisback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 08:38 PM   #963
Speedofsound
Banned

Drives: 2007 Trailblazer SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTRAZLS1 View Post

I never asked what it did. Weekend life bro. I'll take a 12.0 car with less than 400whp car all day vs a 440whp car, it only hurts more feelings.
Speedofsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 08:59 PM   #964
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
lets break this down....

Chevy entered the gen6 with a SS that was 0.6 seconds faster in the 1/4 and weighed 200 lbs less than the outgoing Zeta SS. You're ok that Ford's only aim was to not be slower than the S197?

The capabilities of the Alpha platform, LT1 and LT4 were known from Cadillac and Corvette. I don't know how they misjudged the performance angle so badly. Great rental car though.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -

Last edited by hotlap; 11-04-2017 at 09:14 PM.
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 10:35 PM   #965
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
lets break this down....

And for starters I wasn't talking about the A10. I'm talking about the Mustang's lack of performance. The S550 got slower than the S197 and was barely beating even the 370Z Nismo if it even could beat the 370Z at all. There is no reason why in 2015 a V8 Muscle Car with RWD should have been as slow as a 13. So although I think a 12 flat is impressive, I also won't cheer Ford because they should have been doing this in 15 like everyone else.

And I am not complaining about modding cars thanks for exaggerating that. Modding cars is one thing. But when the GT was soo slow that the entire damn car had to be modded just to keep up with the competition, that says a lot about how pitiful it was from the factory. You can be mad but it is a fact that the GT was horrible in performance for the past 3 model years.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 10:36 PM   #966
FastCarFanBoy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
Chevy entered the gen6 with a SS that was 0.6 seconds faster in the 1/4 and weighed 200 lbs less than the outgoing Zeta SS. You're ok that Ford's only aim was to not be slower than the S197?

The capabilities of the Alpha platform, LT1 and LT4 were known from Cadillac and Corvette. I don't know how they misjudged the performance angle so badly. Great rental car though.
I'm not employed by Ford and own none of their nor GM's stock. When I purchase a car I buy the one that excites me the most at that time with plans to mod it.

If I were in the market for a car in '15/'16 I would have probably bought an Camaro because I would be staying n/a this time around...dont go to the track much anymore and 700whp is less fun than 500whp on radials. Having had a 3rd child this past year I am no longer in the market for a 2dr vehicle...my next car will be something like a Golf R 4dr or a used CTS-V.