Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Phastek Performance

Old 09-03-2013, 03:27 AM   #1
facelykemurderrr

Drives: 1991 Camaro RS
car troubles? battery? etc..

general automotive section because it doesn't involve my Camaro but instead my boyfriends Ford Ranger..
it's a pretty decent truck, I'm surprised at how well it's kept up running and overall condition of it (it's a 2001)
but as of lately we've been having some issues and I'd like a second opinion before we get mechanics involved as I have never had any of these problems..

first, the last two times we've got gas it leaks..there's been a few times where it overfilled (horrible I know) but it doesn't always stop on it's own..
I'm very worried now because last time it DIDN'T over fill, but still leaked out the bottom.

second, as of today it seems there is battery issues now..on my way to work with his truck I noticed the battery level a little below where it normally should be
when I parked it was kinda jumping around which it never does so I was like alright, hope this thing starts when I'm off..
it did, but on my drive home at a stop sign it died on me. started up fine, so the battery isn't completely dead but seems to be having some real issues.
the inside light didn't turn on as it usually would when opening the door.
lastly, in reference to the battery issues..I opened up the hood to check out the battery and everything and it appears possibly there might be battery acid leaking on top.
my boyfriend has some subs hooked up to it and that's where the "battery acid" appears to be..they've been hooked up for about a year with no problems but it's the only thing I could think of that's over powering the battery and draining it, but not completely killing it?

sorry so long! any ideas would be helpful, thanks. (:
facelykemurderrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:14 AM   #2
camaro-dreamer

Drives: 2013 Porsche 981S
For the fuel problem, I think you have an EVAP emissions problem. Are you getting a Service Engine Soon? Lots of times, the hoses going through the EVAP system get clogged. You may solve your problem as simply as blowing out the lines with compressed air. The EVAP solenoid often fails. You should be able to hear the solenoid engage when placing the vehicle into the "on" position. Finally, the third option is that the charcoal canister inside the line has failed. This is the most expensive and least likely scenario.
camaro-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:53 PM   #3
Decibel JJ
Car nut

Drives: Tahoe Z71, Race cars
The fuel leaking could be the evap system clogged or it could leak around the fuel sender gasket.

The battery voltage jumping around at idle sounds more like the voltage regulator or alternator than the battery. How much acid is leaking? Some corrosion around the terminals is normal.

R.I.P. Evan .. A true Friend
Decibel JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:31 PM   #4
Decibel JJ
Car nut

Drives: Tahoe Z71, Race cars
I did a little research and a common problem on those trucks is the rubber gas filler neck tube running to the tank will crack and leak when the gas is full or when you're filling it. It can be expensive to fix because its hard to get to.

R.I.P. Evan .. A true Friend
Decibel JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:30 AM   #5
facelykemurderrr

Drives: 1991 Camaro RS
thank you both,
did a little crawling around under the truck and discovered a huge slash in the tube..thought at first someone seriously knifed it.
but in reading this, I'm hoping it is just a failure of the rubber and someone's not out to get us lol.
either way, not looking forward to how much this is going to cost.
facelykemurderrr is offline   Reply With Quote