Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-16-2017, 07:54 AM   #1
GA Camaro 2SS

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS Convertible
Play by the rules ?

Please correct me if I'm wrong in posting this question. But if I own some commercial property with a parking lot and a loading dock area then am I within my rights to do burn outs in my parking lot? I have heard and also been told by the police that an accident in a privately own parking lot did not concern them and it would have to be settled between the insurance companies and no one would be ticketed. So does that mean if I'm doing burn outs in my back lot that it is no concern to them ? Thanks ahead of time for the input !!

Mods pleases delete if this is an inappropriate subject.
GA Camaro 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 08:13 AM   #2
Soleil

Drives: Camaro 50th anniversary edition
Just my guess. Theoretically yes, but as soon as a neighbour feels himself disturbed or you pollute the enviroment than it is their concern.
Soleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 08:16 AM   #3
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
The property is yours to begin with right? So you can do whatever you want on it. You can paint it pink with purple polka dots if you want.

Police won't bother with accidents in a shopping mall unless a serious crime is comitted so you're safe.

Burn rubber baby!
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 09:43 AM   #4
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Camaro 2SS View Post
Please correct me if I'm wrong in posting this question. But if I own some commercial property with a parking lot and a loading dock area then am I within my rights to do burn outs in my parking lot? I have heard and also been told by the police that an accident in a privately own parking lot did not concern them and it would have to be settled between the insurance companies and no one would be ticketed. So does that mean if I'm doing burn outs in my back lot that it is no concern to them ? Thanks ahead of time for the input !!

Mods pleases delete if this is an inappropriate subject.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soleil View Post
Just my guess. Theoretically yes, but as soon as a neighbour feels himself disturbed or you pollute the enviroment than it is their concern.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
The property is yours to begin with right? So you can do whatever you want on it. You can paint it pink with purple polka dots if you want.

Police won't bother with accidents in a shopping mall unless a serious crime is comitted so you're safe.

Burn rubber baby!
This is actually NOT entirely correct

IF the private property has atleast 1 entrance / exit to a public street and you do a burnout in the private parking lot, while they cannot enforce general traffic laws (stop signs, speed limits, ect), they CAN legally still ticket you for operating a motor vehicle in an unsafe manner in a public environment.

Technically, if a private lot / parking lot is connected to public roads, then it will still assume the same public safety laws... NOT traffic laws.

Now will most cops care if you do something like this way in the loading docks in the back of the building at 3am? Its unlikely..but you CAN still be ticketed for it.
Need4Camaro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 09:51 AM   #5
Bad Anvil Garage

Drives: 2000 GMPPSV SS & 2017 ILE SS
You would have to block the entrances with cones or tape, with a sign marked CLOSED TO PUBLIC to get around the public issue. Then you'd still have the issue of "disturbing the peace" and "pollution" if there were any complaints.
Bad Anvil Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 09:52 AM   #6
Need4Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Anvil Garage View Post
You would have to block the entrances with cones or tape, with a sign marked CLOSED TO PUBLIC to get around the public issue. Then you'd still have the issue of "disturbing the peace" and "pollution" if there were any complaints.
Basically this.. If its open to public and you do burnouts then yes you can still be ticketed.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:03 AM   #7
Rusty35

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
This is actually NOT entirely correct

IF the private property has atleast 1 entrance / exit to a public street and you do a burnout in the private parking lot, while they cannot enforce general traffic laws (stop signs, speed limits, ect), they CAN legally still ticket you for operating a motor vehicle in an unsafe manner in a public environment.

Technically, if a private lot / parking lot is connected to public roads, then it will still assume the same public safety laws... NOT traffic laws.

Now will most cops care if you do something like this way in the loading docks in the back of the building at 3am? Its unlikely..but you CAN still be ticketed for it.
Does that description not cover most race tracks and drag strips?
Rusty35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 10:08 AM   #8
Need4Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty35 View Post
Does that description not cover most race tracks and drag strips?
Unreal dude, I can't believe you tried this...

The actual track / racing strip is CLOSED OFF to the public and only opened to designated drivers who've accepted certain risks / liabilities... It's a sport and event -
a parking lot is OPEN to the general public.

When you go to a Boxing event, the Boxers do not receive any legal violation because it's a sporting event designated specifically FOR THAT PURPOSE.. where as if some of the audience became unruly over the match and started fighting amongst themselves you best believe they can be detained and arrested... as the stands are not designated for that purpose...

The same applies for a dragstrip, it's DESIGNATED to be used for that purpose.. a general open public parking lot regardless of if he owns it or not is not designated to be used as a skid pad unless that he implies that it is, and if it is then that area would have to be closed to the general public for it to be legal.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:37 AM   #9
mcintyre1969

Drives: 1968 SS/RS, 2006 H2 2016 2SS White
Different states and cities have different laws, I don't see how you can get a correct answer here unless there is local law enforcement here from your city. I suggest you ask one in your town when you see them sitting somewhere. They will be happy to give you the correct answer.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:43 AM   #10
Need4Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcintyre1969 View Post
Different states and cities have different laws, I don't see how you can get a correct answer here unless there is local law enforcement here from your city. I suggest you ask one in your town when you see them sitting somewhere. They will be happy to give you the correct answer.
Public safety laws apply everywhere.
There are no specific laws in any state that specifically make it illegal to do a "burnout" however the general catch all is if it is a risk to public safety (whom is unaware or unwilling to accept these risks), it is illegal.
But since your brought this up, I just so happen to be from the same state as the OP.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:53 AM   #11
mcintyre1969

Drives: 1968 SS/RS, 2006 H2 2016 2SS White
In my home town, a "burnout" is an automatic ticket for exhibition of acceleration if it occurs on public property.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:54 AM   #12
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
Richard Rawlings does this all the time in his Gas Monkey garage parking lot.
JLSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 11:18 AM   #13
Rusty35

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Unreal dude, I can't believe you tried this...

The actual track / racing strip is CLOSED OFF to the public and only opened to designated drivers who've accepted certain risks / liabilities... It's a sport and event -
a parking lot is OPEN to the general public.

When you go to a Boxing event, the Boxers do not receive any legal violation because it's a sporting event designated specifically FOR THAT PURPOSE.. where as if some of the audience became unruly over the match and started fighting amongst themselves you best believe they can be detained and arrested... as the stands are not designated for that purpose...

The same applies for a dragstrip, it's DESIGNATED to be used for that purpose.. a general open public parking lot regardless of if he owns it or not is not designated to be used as a skid pad unless that he implies that it is, and if it is then that area would have to be closed to the general public for it to be legal.

Boxing in the parking lot?

Lots of commercial loading docks are closed to the public.
Lots of commercial loading docks are posted no trespassing.
lots of commercial loading docks are fenced.
Rusty35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 11:30 AM   #14
Need4Camaro

Quote:
Boxing in the parking lot?
No, I was stating specifically a Boxing event - an arena.. Inside the arena where two boxers are desiginated to fight inside the RING, its legal..the general public is not at risk. Outside the RING - if two spectators (or even Boxers) were to engage in a fight inside the ARENA but outside the designated ring - they can be legally detained. - The same analogy applies to a drag strip.

The actual STRIP is designated for burnouts, heavy acceleration, high speeds and is also closed off to the general public. A general parking lot is generally NOT closed off to the general public.

Quote:
Lots of commercial loading docks are closed to the public.
Lots of commercial loading docks are posted no trespassing.
lots of commercial loading docks are fenced.
If its closed off (coned, signed, or in some way showing that the general public is not to proceed) the one exception that I question is if there were employees around the vicinity who have authorization to be within the property limits who are unaware of these events... (Even though the loading dock is off limits to the general public, it is still not designated as track / high speed use, you are still endangering the "public" if you pose risk to unwary employees (and by this I mean anyone who is either unaware or hasn't accepted the risks you imposed) within the premises and on that note, yes..you can still be ticketed.)

I'm only going by what the law states. By law we can't even use long tube headers.. meaning most of our cars are illegal. What actually happens on the property at 2 am - 4 am in the back of a loading bay with absolutely noone around, I doubt anyone is going to give a damn about..but legally..the infrastructure is in place to ticket you for it.. in reality.. the way the law is setup..a cop ALWAYS has a reason give you a ticket if he really wanted to.