Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 03-11-2024, 07:32 PM   #113
Sephx1

Drives: 18 ZLE, 18 SS1LE, 16 SS, 23 ZL1
TTT we need to get the word out. This is a widespread problem. I believe my car is still reporting.
Attached Images

Sephx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 05:58 AM   #114
CHASLT1

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1
It's on the news today that most cars are with stupid Onstar.
CHASLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 01:31 PM   #115
Hyperion

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS A8
Thumbs down

This is a huge betrayal of trust from GM. Screw you guys.
Hyperion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 03:08 PM   #116
olrocker

Drives: People crazy with my sexiness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshinator99 View Post
Thanks to this thread I finally got motivated enough to pull the hardware.
I have some questions:

1. Do you have factory navigation? If so did you lose it?
2. Did you lose the compass in the instrument cluster?
3. Are you still able to use hands-free voice commands via Bluetooth on your phone and Apple CarPlay or Android?

Thanks.
Sharkskin/Light gray
Moonroof/Navi/NPP/Mag Ride/Red Brake Calipers
Gray painted split spoke wheels
Illuminated footwells/illuminated bowtie
olrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 03:19 PM   #117
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by olrocker View Post
I have some questions:

1. Do you have factory navigation? If so did you lose it?
2. Did you lose the compass in the instrument cluster?
3. Are you still able to use hands-free voice commands via Bluetooth on your phone and Apple CarPlay or Android?

Thanks.
Sorry, I don’t drive the car until the roads are totally cleared of salt. And I recently started tearing the car apart for this year’s round of upgrades, so it’ll be a few weeks before she’s operational again. But if no one else answers your questions by then I’ll check those out for you.
Old 03-14-2024, 07:01 AM   #118
CamaroRSOnt

Drives: 2023 SS Vert
Here is the article in the New York Post yesterday:

Your car is secretly spying on you and driving your insurance rates through the roof: report
Ariel Zilber – New York Post
Published March 12, 2024

Drivers of cars manufactured by General Motors, Ford, Honda and other popular brands say that their insurance rates went up after the companies sent data about their driving behavior to issuers without their knowledge.
Kenn Dahl, 65, is a Seattle-area businessman who told The New York Times that his car insurance costs soared by 21% in 2022 after GM’s OnStar Smart Driver computerized system installed in his Chevy Bolt collected information about the particulars of his driving habits.
Dahl said that his insurance agent told him the price increase was based on data collected by LexisNexis, which compiled a report tracking each and every time he and his wife drove their Chevy Bolt over a six-month period.
According to Dahl, the 258-page report contained information about the start and end times of his trips, distance driven and other data detailing possible instances of speeding, hard braking and sharp accelerations.
The report contained information about one particular trip in June which lasted 18 minutes and spanned 7.33 miles
During that same trip, the LexisNexis report recorded two instances of rapid acceleration and two incidents of hard braking.
The LexisNexis report indicated that the details it had cobbled together were gleaned from the OnStar Smart Driver, the GM-owned subscription service that records driver information such as total miles driven, hard braking incident and other aspects of driver behavior.
According to its web site, OnStar Smart Driver “provides driving insights on how you can become a smarter, safer driver” while enabling users to “earn badges by completing challenges, build on streaks specific to different driving habits and view all your data in an intuitive dashboard.”
“It felt like a betrayal,” Dahl said. “They’re taking information that I didn’t realize was going to be shared and screwing with our insurance.”
It’s not just electric vehicle owners who are complaining.
A Seattle-area driver of a Chevy Bolt told The New York Times that the cost of his insurance soared 21% as a result of data collected by GM.
A Cadillac driver based in Palm Beach County, Fla., told the Times that he is considering a lawsuit against GM after he was denied car insurance by seven different companies in December.
He said he is planning to sell his Cadillac and that he will never buy another GM-made car again.
The decision was based on a LexisNexis report which detailed six months of his driving behavior, including numerous instances of hard braking, hard accelerating and speeding.
“I don’t know the definition of hard brake. My passenger’s head isn’t hitting the dash,” the unnamed Cadillac driver, who like Dahl was enrolled in the OnStar Smart Driver subscription service, told the Times
Same with acceleration. I’m not peeling out. I’m not sure how the car defines that. I don’t feel I’m driving aggressively or dangerously.”
GM, whose portfolio of brands includes Chevy, GMC, Cadillac and Buick, isn’t the only car company that is gathering data through internet connectivity and then providing it to insurance companies.
Subaru, Mitsubishi, Honda, Kia and Hyundai also offer drivers the option of turning on similar features without them being aware that the data is being sold to brokers similar to LexisNexis.
Verisk said it has accessed driver data from millions of vehicles including those made by Ford, Honda and Hyundai.
A Ford spokesperson told the Times that the company “does not transmit any connected vehicle data to either partner” — a reference to Verisk and LexisNexis.
Ford will only share driver behavior data with an insurance company if the driver give explicit consent via an in-vehicle touch screen.
Kia, Mitsubishi, Hyundai, Honda and Acura enable drivers to turn off data collection relating to on-road behavior in their apps.
But Honda requires drivers to accept a 2,000-word “terms and conditions” screen on its app that specifies the company will share data with Verisk.
The Post has sought comment from Honda.
“GM’s OnStar Smart Driver service is optional to customers, who give their consent three times before limited data is shared with an insurance carrier through a third party,” a GM spokesperson told The Post.
“Customer benefits include learning more about their safe driving behaviors or vehicle performance that, with their consent, may be used to obtain insurance quotes,” the spokesperson said, adding: “Customers can also unenroll from Smart Driver at any time.”

A LexisNexis spokesperson told the Times that the information it takes in from OnStar is “for insurers to use as one factor of many to create more personalized insurance coverage.”

https://nypost.com/2024/03/12/busine...-rates-report/
2014 C7 Z51
2020 RS Convertible
2023 2SS Convertible
CamaroRSOnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 04:03 PM   #119
Twizzty
$$$$...$$...$$$...$$$$...

Drives: 2021 Camaro 1SS 1LE
The word is out on GM, check this out...

I double checked mine and it's not reporting.
2021 CX-5 Carbon Turbo AWD
Twizzty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 06:27 PM   #120
CHASLT1

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1
I know my C7 is not spying. I see at least a 80mph burst everyday in a 30 or 45 zone.
CHASLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 06:46 PM   #121
Anjilslaire

Drives: 2021 3LT RS A10
Checked the My Chevy app and smartdriver is still disabled
Anjilslaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 07:44 PM   #122
Linker239

Drives: 2022 WC 2SS
Just a heads up, my smart driver was Re-enabled on my Chevrolet, even though I had opted out when I had gotten the car and turned it off on the website. It was off 3 months ago and I checked and it was back on. So it might be worth a second look. I wonder if it resets at the beginning of the year, or if Chevy flipped it back on.
2010 VR 1LT RS; Sold
Linker239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 08:01 PM   #123
m6-lt1

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linker239 View Post
Just a heads up, my smart driver was Re-enabled on my Chevrolet, even though I had opted out when I had gotten the car and turned it off on the website. It was off 3 months ago and I checked and it was back on. So it might be worth a second look. I wonder if it resets at the beginning of the year, or if Chevy flipped it back on.
Just checked mine and it was turned back on. And what’s worse about it now is it takes 24 hours for them to process my request to turn it off. I was already debating selling mine to get back in a Mustang. Now I’m definitely selling it.

Prior:
2016 Camaro 1SS
2007 Mustang GT
2008 Civic Si
m6-lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 09:30 PM   #124
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjilslaire View Post
Checked the My Chevy app and smartdriver is still disabled
You’re way more trusting than I am lol… what an app or website does and what they actually choose to do with your data are two very different things IMO. GM has consistently proven to be incredibly untrustworthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m6-lt1 View Post
Just checked mine and it was turned back on. And what’s worse about it now is it takes 24 hours for them to process my request to turn it off. I was already debating selling mine to get back in a Mustang. Now I’m definitely selling it.
Or you can just pull the radio board like @cellsafemode described in his thread. Then it’s done and over with. Took longer for me to contort myself under the passenger footwell than anything else lol! Then you can keep your Camaro.

We have a Mustang GT Premium in our stable as well and we like it a lot as well. Thankfully you can just pull a fuse to disable the Ford Pass telematics on that car.
Old 03-14-2024, 10:32 PM   #125
MT-SS1LE

Drives: 2023 SS 1LE Sharkskin
Is pulling the Onstar fuse sufficient to kill any communication with the car? I read in another thread that doing so disables the compass and the mic also, neither of which I care about,
Old 03-15-2024, 03:59 AM   #126
Deacon Blues

Drives: 2024 Camaro 1SS M6
With my car in winter storage, I haven't used the My Chevy app at all. What I did notice this morning after reading this thread is, upon launch, the update popup in the app mentioned adding SmartDriver. I purposefully didn't say "got it" but instead clicked around without acknowledging. Not sure if that did anything but SmartDriver is still turned off in my app.
Deacon Blues is offline   Reply With Quote