Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-12-2011, 10:21 PM   #1
GeneDoc

Drives: 2011 Camaro Convertible RS
Keys Jammed; Steering Wheel Stuck

Please look at the picture. Do folks think there too many keys and/or parts on my key ring? A few cars, a remote key fob, and a few other keys. In my mind, not too many pieces on this ring. No fancy little toys or gadgets on it.

I was turning right and suddenly realized the wheel was stuck and I was forced into a sharper right turn than I liked because I wasn't able to turn the key back to straighten out my course. I was able to "unforce" it by rotating the wheel counterclockwise, but this ended up bending my key a little. I was able to bend the key back, but I am lucky I wasn't being an idiot making a hard 'n fast move when I turned the car (easy to do -- this thing rides on rails).

I haven't had problems like this with keys getting stuck in other cars, so I'm surprised to have this happen with the Camaro. I'll solve it for now by putting in a small spacer ring to lower the remaining keys from my Camaro key when I'm driving. Hopefully this will help.
Attached Images

Old 04-12-2011, 10:24 PM   #2
Forcer

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
that is scary... i dont give it the chance though, on my camaro key i only have my gym membership key, and my 1970 camaro key. heh my other house and work keys etc... are on a seperate key ring.
Forcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:30 PM   #3
Jason7
NorCalCamaros.com

Drives: 2010 2SS White
Keyfob + house key
Jason7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:32 PM   #4
kpwalls06
Cory

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6;
I'm with Forcer. I tried a spacer ring, and I ended up having the keys knocking on my leg, and against the dash. I took everything off, now it's the SS key all alone while I'm driving.
kpwalls06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:55 PM   #5
wbdinger

Drives: NSMNJW=2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3
SCARY WOW!!
Did you know that many keys hanging off of the ignition switch wears the switch and tumblers out prematurely and soon will not work at all.Not to mention the steering lockup you had.
I have a rule in our household that any vehicle key set has a MAX of 2 items per key ring.
Other keys/fobs can be kept in coat pocket or what ever, cause you can only drive 1 ata time
DYI Oil Catch Can, DYI dash ABL, DyI fender "V"emblems, ACC Plasma DRL, DYI Painted red SS on steering wheel, DYI CGM painted bowties on wheels, DYI Clearcoated Brake Calipers, Eibach pro 1" lowering springs, GM Heratige grill, GM skipshift eliminator, GMPP 92206992 Exhaust, 2-10" Kenwood subs w/350watt pioneer amp, RiderGraphics hood spears/gill outlines, 9x20 wheels-custom silver,weather tech mats, ARH 17/8 headers and cats. Tuned by Davenport Motorsports.
wbdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:58 PM   #6
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpwalls06 View Post
I'm with Forcer. I tried a spacer ring, and I ended up having the keys knocking on my leg, and against the dash. I took everything off, now it's the SS key all alone while I'm driving.
Same here. i only have my SS fey and a little keychain my parents gave me with my name on it. I enter my house through the garage so no need for a house key and I can only drive one car at a time so no need for any other car keys.
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 11:02 PM   #7
ss=scuba steve

Drives: 2011 1SS Cyber Gray Metallic
Yeah dude you have waaaayyy to much junk on that key ring.... isn't that annoying to carry around?
Old 04-12-2011, 11:04 PM   #8
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
Ive had the wheel/key lock problem on every car Ive ever driven. Make sure your wheels are straight when you turn the car off and dont move the wheel.
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 11:06 PM   #9
MOMSREDSS

Drives: 2010 Victory RED RS/SS L99
My Camaro key, fob & Chevy key ring is all that's on my key ring.
2010 2SS/RS, L99, Victory Red, Cyber Gray Stripes, Custom Painted Engine Cover, Tinted Windows, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Pedders Stainless Brake Lines, ARH Long Tube Headers, SLP Loudmouth II Axle Back, BMR Rear trailing arms, BMR Level 3 Performance Handling Package; Build Journal http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130448
MOMSREDSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 04:44 AM   #10
Corran9

Drives: 2011 RJT 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason7 View Post
Keyfob + house key
Same. And sometimes I'm tempted to take off the house key, I never use it.
Upcoming mods:
Tinted windows, CAGS Eliminator, Rear deck lid blackout, SLP Loudmouth II Axle back, CAI.
Corran9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 05:08 AM   #11
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Keyfob + house key

All three of my cars the same ... I hate carrying around a big gob of keys ...
Old 04-13-2011, 05:24 AM   #12
tones8

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Keyfob + house key
keyfob + housekey + bottle opener
tones8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 05:29 AM   #13
GeneDoc

Drives: 2011 Camaro Convertible RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpwalls06 View Post
It's happened that I am out of the house and needed one of the other car keys, so I'm not excited about being out with only one particular car key. Maybe there's some quick-release way (e.g. carabiner) I could implement that only puts one key in the ignition at a time. I have kids and also don't want to be out of the house without a house key. So, I think I can get it down to a set that uses the three car keys w/ fobs and the house key. Too bad the other vehicles don't use the same style fob/key as the Charger and Camaro where it's all built into one.

Yes, it is bulky. I typically take it out when I'm at home/work, otherwise there are jokes about bananas and being happy.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:29 AM   #14
HDDAN

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS 2007 HD FLSTC
Key and enhanced Lojac fob on Camro's ring. My other car's keys are on a seperate ring, my Harley keys are on another ring. The house keys are on another ring. Yes, I carry 4 keyrings all summer.
HDDAN is offline   Reply With Quote